Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Aug 31, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #1,801 of 6,444
Just watched the first season of Maria Watches Over Us (Maria-sama ga Miteru). It falls on the Yuri side of things, if you're actively seeking them out
wink.gif
It came off as a bit more serious and a little dry at times, but overall it was enjoyable. The setting is a catholic girls school, where upperclassmen select "little sisters" (underclassmen) that they train into more sophisticated girls before they graduate, which is a situation that cycles indefinitely. Intimate feelings are shared between sisters, and drama ensues.

Certainly more intelligent than the vast majority of Yuri out there, but it could tend to loosen up just a hair. 3.5/5

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #1,802 of 6,444
Ah, this last work hitch was a good one...managed to finish 3 series and get a start on a 4th:

First up, taking the recommendation of a few Head-fiers on the boards, I went and tried Now And Then, Here, And There. WOW, that anime starts out running and just doesn't end. A bit on the darker side, but very intelligently done, and I love how none of the characters is really ignored: Even someone as relatively one dimensional as one of soldiers from the first couple of episodes who had a grand total of maybe 30 seconds worth of screen time, came back to the end and became a more fleshed out character. Solid 5/5

Second, and I am going to get hit hard for this one: Serial Experiments Lain. Now, to be fair, I started this series 2 years ago when I borrowed my friend's two disc set and burned them both. The problem was, I was moving through the series slow, and when I moved out of my apartment, I lost track of my second disc and kind of lost the series, until a few weeks back, when I dug it out again. Watched it from start to finish and all I can say is I love that the series didn't slow at the end. It stayed the same series through and through and stayed strong over all 13 episodes. 5/5

Third was a series my sister demanded I watch: Ayashi No Ceres (Ceres Celestial Legend). I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this series, so I went in with a low bar. Basically, for those who don't know, The series focuses on 2 twins Aya Mikage and her brother Aki. Apparently, the Mikage family is born from the forced union between the first Mikage and a Tenshi from angel who he forced to remain on earth by hiding her celestial robe. The spirit of the angel continues to come back to haunt and destroy the family using the girls borne to the family as a medium. Girls found to be the medium for the Tenshi are killed on their 16th birthday. Apparently, she comes back her strongest ever in Aya and Aki becomes the medium for the original Mikage, and the story follows in how Aya escapes being killed and Aki is separated from her in an attempt to bring out the spirit of the Mikage. I don't know what it really was about the series, but I found myself not really caring about any of the characters, and when I finally did find a character I liked (Chidori Kuruma), I was disappointed by her lack of time on the screen. I certainly don't feel like I wasted my time watching this, but I probably won't be coming back to it again. 3/5

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles: I started this series a couple of days ago and was rather looking forward to it as I was a somewhat big fan of CardCaptor Sakura. I was looking forward to seeing more of those characters even though I knew that the background for the story was entirely different. I've only gotten through the first 8 eps. but, I'm already mildly bored. I'm sticking with it and hoping it gets interesting soon.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #1,804 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watching Coyote Ragtime Show right now. Starts out like something out of Mmission Impossible, and ends up getting a bit uninteresting. I'll have to force myself to watch the last 4 episodes so I can move on to something else.

Some episodes were good (2 and 4 notably), but things definitely wend down the hole towards the end. I liked bg music and ufotable's characteristic clay animation ending bit though. At the end, it was the least favorite work for me coming from them.

Whatever happened to the OVA centered around the 12 Sisters? I am partial to March-chan and April-chan. Girls with heavy weapons <3

trivia: April could be seen serving as a maid in Manabi OVA.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #1,805 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever happened to the OVA centered around the 12 Sisters? I am partial to March-chan and April-chan. Girls with heavy weapons <3

Marciano's 12 Sisters are far more interesting than Mister, Franca or the rest of the somewhat bland characters, aren't they? I hadn't heard about the OVA, but i'd imagine it would be pretty sweet though.

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #1,806 of 6,444
I've been rather bored with this recent break from work and to take my mind off of all the work involved in moving, I've been hitting my backlog of anime and books hard. I recently finished two more anime while I was home:

Ai****eruze Baby: (<--Edit: Mildly amused that that got edited) I went into this anime apprehensively, as it was a recommendation from my sister (who has not been giving the best recommendations in the past: Her last 4 were Jubei-Chan, Kiddy Grade, Shrine of the Morning Mist and Ayashi No Ceres-none of which I particularly care for). I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I didn't care for the color (lots of excessively bright colors that just seemed out of place) or the animation (I'm not sure what put me off, but something did...there is no way a 5-year old like one of the main characters has a head that big, even in anime), but the story was just nice, and very well done. All the major characters were well rounded and none of them were particularly annoying even though I expected an overly bratty or sugary sweet kid when I heard '5-year old main character'. I can't say I'll go back to it immediately, but I wouldn't mind popping it on again in the near future. 4/5

Ichigo Mashimaro: All the reviews said: 'Hilariously funny', 'Azumanga Daioh 2.0', 'Well worth your time'. I honestly don't know if all the reviewers actually watched this or are just bouncing reviews off of each other. I had high expectations to be floored by this anime the same way Azumanga floored me a year ago but alas, I was disappointed. I really do not see what the fuss was about this series, unless it has something to do with my not having read the manga for it. In any case, it wasn't a complete waste as it did provide me with a few laughs and there were some flat out funny parts, but IMO, not enough to keep the laughs coming over 12 episodes. 2/5

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #1,808 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ichigo Mashimaro: All the reviews said: 'Hilariously funny', 'Azumanga Daioh 2.0', 'Well worth your time'. I honestly don't know if all the reviewers actually watched this or are just bouncing reviews off of each other. I had high expectations to be floored by this anime the same way Azumanga floored me a year ago but alas, I was disappointed. I really do not see what the fuss was about this series, unless it has something to do with my not having read the manga for it. In any case, it wasn't a complete waste as it did provide me with a few laughs and there were some flat out funny parts, but IMO, not enough to keep the laughs coming over 12 episodes. 2/5

I remember watching the first episode of this and feeling the same way, but after 12 episodes, I got drawn in by the mellow not-much-happening but still entertaining for some reason aspect of it. I suppose it was the slice of life school innocence dashed with a bit of nonsense that made it interesting. It did feel a lot like Azumanga Daioh to me, with the slow pacing, odd and awkward interactions, and the sum equaling more that the parts. Certainly not the most amazing series I've seen, but I'd personally rate it a bit higher than 2/5. 2/5 is usually reserved for series I can't get through but have some sort of redeeming value
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #1,809 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just watched nanoha A´s and ginga densetsu weed, and both were awsome!

<==== Alisa (Arisa) & Hayate Fanboy
I was quite late to the whole Nanoha bandwagon, and it took me another good half year to finish A's. The show itself was better with the sequel, but the OP theme of the first series is just fantastic. Mizuki Nana deserves all the attention she does IMO, at least she is one of my favorites. Ironically I didn't care much for either Fate-chan or the voice acting on her part.

appophylite, I am with you on Ichigo Mashimaro - it didn't do anything for me. A good bit dull compared to much energetic and eccentric Minami-ke/Kyou no Gou no Ni, not soothing enough compared to Hidamari Sketch / Mahoraba. Try Gokujou Seitokai (Best Student Council) for something funny.

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #1,810 of 6,444
Nanoha A's is made of awesome and win.

StrikerS is terribad. But it's worth watching once just to see the incredible, awe-inspiring POWA of Subaru's sheer gayness. Subaru puts Frank-n-Furter to shame on the gay-o-meter. If she were any gayer, she'd crap rainbows.

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #1,812 of 6,444
Quote:

I remember watching the first episode of this and feeling the same way, but after 12 episodes, I got drawn in by the mellow not-much-happening but still entertaining for some reason aspect of it. I suppose it was the slice of life school innocence dashed with a bit of nonsense that made it interesting. It did feel a lot like Azumanga Daioh to me, with the slow pacing, odd and awkward interactions, and the sum equaling more that the parts. Certainly not the most amazing series I've seen, but I'd personally rate it a bit higher than 2/5. 2/5 is usually reserved for series I can't get through but have some sort of redeeming value

Lol, normally that kind of anime is something I'd rate at a 1/5 or lower (I think my scale is slightly skewed!). To be fair, I have to agree to an extent: The series did get better with progressing episodes and by its nature, it is similar to Azumanga, but wasn't close enough to keep me wanting to come back to the series again. I have no doubt that this anime can find an audience and that the people who love it will truly love it, but I think I came off a bit harsh just because I wrote that up, almost right after finishing it and was still mildly disappointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
appophylite, I am with you on Ichigo Mashimaro - it didn't do anything for me. A good bit dull compared to much energetic and eccentric Minami-ke/Kyou no Gou no Ni, not soothing enough compared to Hidamari Sketch / Mahoraba. Try Gokujou Seitokai (Best Student Council) for something funny.

Quote:

Nice recommendation. That series is full of awesome.
51AZHX8MDXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Dammit, the two of you have got to stop recommending me anime!! I keep going out of my way to find them and they all keep turning out to be good! I'm going to need another hard-drive soon....
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #1,814 of 6,444
Shuffle's a good one if you're into harem anime but want something *slightly* less cookie cutter. I was able to catch the first few episodes back at Katsucon, but it didn't really do a lot for me. After watching the whole thing though, I'd say it's worth watching. You start out with the typical happy-go-lucky parade of girls banging down the protagonist's door, but it becomes a little more serious as it goes. No quite Rumbling Hearts serious, but enough that [minor spoiler] all of the girls have some serious mental, physical or personality issues that come into play, which is unlike a lot of the harem anime date-sim spin-offs I've seen [/spoiler]. Funmation just released the last DVD of the set, but there's another called Memories, which you should catch the last episode of as well (the rest is just a summary of Shuffle).

Overall I'll give it a 3.5/5.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #1,815 of 6,444
I probably said this a few times already, but I only liked Kaede's arc. Not just because I am a Kaede fanboy (which I am
tongue.gif
), the progression of yandere crisis makes it a very immersive watch.

Personally I really liked a few gyaruge based series that came out late 2007 - e.f., H2O and Myself;Yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back