Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Sep 16, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #1,818 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, where do you guys get your animes from?

Torrent, streaming, direct download from sites that maintain their own servers, megaupload or realitylapse in many cases and more often than not, either buying my own DVDs (if the price is right or the series was worth it), or borrowing friend's collections.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #1,819 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Torrent, streaming, direct download from sites that maintain their own servers, megaupload or realitylapse in many cases and more often than not, either buying my own DVDs (if the price is right or the series was worth it), or borrowing friend's collections.
biggrin.gif

similar but mine mostly come from direct download sites, rarely if ever from torrents. I do buy DVDs time to time when they go on sale
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #1,821 of 6,444
^^^ Sorry, I've got the same problem you have which is why I too rarely use torrent sites. Direct download sites are fairly common though and most of them tend to have a large number of series, mostly in the rmvb format, but in good quality. Shouldn't be hard to find some good stuff through Google.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #1,823 of 6,444
Updating the list of anime, I got through a fair bundle of them in the last two weeks (I get to go to work for the next month and have to slow down anime consumption a bit for that time, so I wanted to get a good handful out of the way)

Death Note: I actually finished this one a while ago but didn't remember until a few days ago. Anyhow, This is one I watched based on recommendations by a number of people in this thread as well as one of my friends. I loved the first half of this series. The Cat-and-Mouse game between L and Light with Misa thrown into the mix was entertaining as hell. I feel like the anime slowed down a little after that approaching the end, but it didn't falter and stayed very entertaining up until the end. 4.5/5

Ranma: Nihao, My Concubine: I found someone had posted the entire thing in pieces on youtube so I took a look. Felt like an overlong Ranma 1/2 episode, and while I do like the few Ranma 1/2 episodes I've seen, this movie felt like it should have been shortened into an episode or two or really just shouldn't have been made period. 1/5

Ranma: Big Trouble In Nekonron China: Another Ranma movie posted on youtube in full. This movie was far more entertaining than the first and I dare say that if I felt like it, I would go back to watch it again sometime in the future. 3/5

Full Metal Panic (Season 1, Fumoffu, The Second Raid, Tessa OVA): I watched the English dub of Full Metal Panic Season 1 nearly 3 years ago on the recommendation of one of my sister's friends. Arguably one of the better English dubs I've heard, but I didn't think the series was really anything superbly special and I disregarded Fumoffu and The Second Raid when I heard about them. Anyhow, a friend of mine loaned me all 3 and his digital copy of the Tessa OVA and all I have to say is that I am glad I watched all of it again. Firstly I rewatched the first season (Japanese with subtitles this time) and was much happier because, let's face it, some things are just better with the original seiyuus. I definitely had a better appreciation for the First Season after realizing that a lot of the other stuff I watched at the same time 3 years ago wound up being a load of crap. Fast Forward to Fumoffu and you get a whole load of nothing but laughs. It was a nice change of pace from the more serious end of the first season, but it's a good thing they were attentive of their limits and didn't overplay it. The Second Raid was also very nice, but something about it, felt like it was lacking w.r.t the first season. I am glad that Gates was an enemy and that it wasn't just the two sisters as I think I would have panned it halfway through; (my sister walked in on a few scenes with Gates and concluded that a three-way battle between Gates, Anderson (from Hellsing) and Alucard would make her day). The Tessa OVA was pure fluff, and for the most part could have been ignored but the scene towards the beginning with a drowsy Tessa coming on to Sagara in the hangar with Arbalest providing commentary from a battle scenario that strikingly resembled Sagara's situation was pure entertainment. On the whole I'd rate all of the stuff together at about 4.25-4.5/5

Tsubasa Chronicles + OVA: One of the few anime that both me and my sister agree upon is Card Captor Sakura. Both of us fell in love with the series the first time we saw it and the minute my sister found out that Tsubasa Chronicles was a different universe with a lot of the same characters, she promptly downloaded it (and I promptly took it from her!) Though the characters have different circumstances, it was fun to see some of our favorites like Sakura and Tomoyo again and meet new ones like Kurogane and Fai. The whole 'same souls but different lives in different worlds' deal occasionally felt like a cheap way to decide to come up with less characters, but at times was entertaining as well and overall, worked very well. Still. Kinda bummed that the series doesn't really end per se, even in the OVA, but with circumstances the way they were, the ending was overall better than a complete cliffhangar. 3.5/5

Gokujou Seitokai: I've got to thank MikoLayer and HiGHFLYiN9 for this recommendation. A lot of the stuff you guys have recommended has turned out very well and Gokujou Seitokai was no exception. 3-4 minutes in, I was thinking 'Eh, there isn't anything really special here,' and I kind of stuck with that feeling for the majority of the first episode. Then we got the last few minutes of it.....and the next episode.....and the next. Suddenly if felt like a combination of Excel Saga, School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh was suddenly being concocted and thrown at me. A lot of the gags and stories in Gokujou Seitokai seem like they've been done before, but the overall series is funny, keeps your attention and feels fresh. There were a few times that I was laughing hard enough that other people in the room were coming over to see what I was looking at.....and staying at my desk to keep watching. Once again, another great recommendation from MikoLayer and HiGHFLYiN9. 4.5-4.75/5

Lucky for me, I still have a heavy backlog of anime on my hard drive to get through before this thread comes alive with the next season's new anime. Next anime for me to get through look to be:

Area 88 (2004 TV series)
RaHXephon
Ranma 1/2 (Complete TV series)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #1,824 of 6,444
The Japanese consider all cartoons as anime, right? So, I've been enjoying Tom and Jerry.

Tom and Jerry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Due to its lack of dialog, Tom and Jerry was easily translated into various foreign languages. Tom and Jerry began broadcast in Japan in 1964. A 2005 nationwide survey taken in Japan by TV Asahi, sampling age groups from teenagers to adults in their sixties, ranked Tom and Jerry #85 in a list of the top 100 "anime" of all time; while their web poll taken after the airing of the list ranked it at #58 - the only non-Japanese animation on the list, and beating anime classics like Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, A Little Princess Sara, and the ultra-classics Macross, Ghost in the Shell, and Rurouni Kenshin (it should be noted that in Japan, the word "anime" refers to all animation regardless of origin, not just Japanese animation).[6] Tom and Jerry is also well-known in Saudi Arabia, China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, Mongolia, and South Korea.

The best is the Hanna-Barbera era.

Checkout youtube, it's full of them and airs on Cartoon Network.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #1,825 of 6,444
Quote:

Death Note: I actually finished this one a while ago but didn't remember until a few days ago. Anyhow, This is one I watched based on recommendations by a number of people in this thread as well as one of my friends. I loved the first half of this series. The Cat-and-Mouse game between L and Light with Misa thrown into the mix was entertaining as hell. I feel like the anime slowed down a little after that approaching the end, but it didn't falter and stayed very entertaining up until the end. 4.5/5

Sounds like it stays true to the manga then... I haven't seen the anime yet, but the manga gets a bit weak once Near enters the picture. Definitely one I plan to see once I get caught up on my backlog.

Quote:

Area 88 (2004 TV series)

The TV series looks much less dated than the OVA, but you miss out on a lot of story and character development with the TV version instead of the OVA.

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #1,826 of 6,444
Konomini is IMO one of the most if not the most aesthetically pleasing anime of them all, reaching the pinnacle of Gainax + Shaft collaboration, visually speaking. Voice acting is as good as ever with a totally stacked cast, and the ED theme is a real catchy tune that happened to be to my liking. Yet I never really felt that strongly about the show, something about the philosophic agenda they are trying to develop throughout the series felt weak and forced. The show is widely recognized as a Mahoromatic v2.5, and I felt the show did not live up to that anticipation, sorely lacking the great humor and a moving storyline that made up Something More Beautiful. Worth watching overall, but a mild letdown in my book. Perhaps I should revisit it to see how different I would rate it now.

Good to hear you liked Gokujou Seitokai! If you liked that line of humor, you might as well check out Yumeria and Onegai series (Teacher/Twins for anime, Friends for radio drama). IIRC Kuroda Yosuke is the guy to give credit to for hilariousness of those shows (which reminds me I need start watching Gundam00 one of these days...)

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #1,828 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Sounds like it stays true to the manga then... I haven't seen the anime yet, but the manga gets a bit weak once Near enters the picture. Definitely one I plan to see once I get caught up on my backlog.

From what I've heard, it does in fact stay true to the manga: certainly close enough that it has me wanting to find and check out the manga as well.

Quote:

Quote:

Area 88

The TV series looks much less dated than the OVA, but you miss out on a lot of story and character development with the TV version instead of the OVA.

Thanks for the head's up! Should definitely look for the OVA too so I don't miss too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear you liked Gokujou Seitokai! If you liked that line of humor, you might as well check out Yumeria and Onegai series (Teacher/Twins for anime, Friends for radio drama). IIRC Kuroda Yosuke is the guy to give credit to for hilariousness of those shows (which reminds me I need start watching Gundam00 one of these days...)

Already checked out and love Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twins and love both of them (4.5/5 for both on my list). Looks like I might have to try Yumeria now when I get back in a month.

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #1,830 of 6,444
Finished up Spice and Wolf (Okami to Koshinryo) the other day, which ended up being a pretty unique anime. It's based in an older European fantasy setting, but instead of magic, swords and dragons, the series has a focus on market trading and a female wolf god Horo.

Craft Lawrence is the main character of the series, a traveling peddler who buys stuff at one city, then takes it to the next city trying to increase his stock and earnings with every trade so he can eventually open a shop. While the interactions between Lawrence and the shop-keeps can be interesting, they tend to drone on a bit with unnecessary information. i suppose that since the trading is one of the main focuses of the story, they figure that the audience is genuinely interested in types of bartering loans, market fluctuations and church-influenced trade.

Horo, the wolf harvest deity becomes Lawrence's traveling companion early on while a ritual is being performed in the village she was residing in. She takes on the form of a woman, but maintains the wolf tail and ears, I suppose to draw-in the furry demographic
wink.gif
Horo is not the typical subservient and submissive otaku cliche of a girl, but a very proud, intelligent, obtuse, greedy, manipulative, and argumentative girl that occasionally shows her lonely side while being cute at the same time.

I feel that the trading sessions do tend to be a bit long and carry a little too much information for the average viewer, while I would have rather seen a bit more interaction between the main characters. However overall, I found the series to be unique and enjoyable, with believable personalities and setting, and an unusual focus on trading rather than strictly fighting or romance. 3.5/5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back