Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Apr 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #1,741 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boring characters, weak story and uninvolving/mediocre action.
art and animation was forgettable but decent.
black lagoon is a piece of white bread, a sheet of a4 paper, a glass of water, a cloud on a rainy day, etc...
wink.gif

action was decent, but character/plot development was MIA IMO.

This is where personal preference comes into play, I suppose. For one, I dont care too much for series that try to be serious but are absurd at that; shootding down a helo with torpedos? good luck with that
tongue.gif
never been a fan of noir-esque gunfight sequences either; I couldnt bear more than an episode of madlax, but some swear by it, whatever.

I would probably recommend it to action fans, but wouldnt list it as one of my favorites.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #1,742 of 6,444
Quote:

Hey, Chrono Crusade was great and Solty Rei wasn't bad either. Gonzo has put out lots of stinkers though (i.e. Bakuretsu Tenshi, Romeo x Juliet, etc).

dunno, I couldnt disagree more on chrno crusade. the begining was very promising, yet they proceed to drag it out and quality plummels, just a gonzo classic it was. The tearjerker ending was a saving grace, fantastic OP/ED, thats all I remember from it. Shows I did like from Gonzo: NHK ni Youkoso, Narue no Sekai. didnt get to see Solty Rei, will respond when I finally do
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Also watching Mnemosyne, which is quite possibly the most hardcore thing I've seen in ages. Not the best, but it is entertaining.

agreed and agreed. besides, noto + kugimiya is a winning formula for me >.<

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #1,743 of 6,444
Uh oh, seems like opinions are clashing
biggrin.gif
....which is fine, these things are very subjective.

I'm definitely not trying to bust anyone's chops, but trying to watch Chrono Crusade was like pulling teeth for me. I barely made it to the tenth episode and gave up. Maybe I'll try again some other time, but there just wasn't anything there to draw me in. Both the story and the characters brought very little to the table, imho.

In regard to Black Lagoon, I did like Noir, so I guess I fit the demographic. I'm planning on watching SoltyRei soon, really hoping it's going to be awesome.

Currently watching Noein, which is very good so far. Excellent story, somewhat lackluster animation.

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #1,744 of 6,444
Noir could have been much better if it was 13 episodes instead of 26. Flashbacks in the first episode, jeez. Bee Train's other similar series (Madlax, El Cazador de la Bruja) were both the same way... just too slow and dull, would have been far better with half as many episodes.

Solty Rei is good, not great, entertaining and has good animation throughout. The show is basically an amalgamation of cyberpunk themes and stories--you can see bits and pieces taken from Blade Runner (seriously, the male lead is almost a dead ringer for Deckard), A Scanner Darkly, Deus Ex, Bubblegum Crisis and Neuromancer. For a cyberpunk nerd such as myself it's good stuff.

As for current and future releases, I am waiting with bated breath for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni's third season (encompassing the plot arcs Saikoroshi-hen and, most likely, Miotsukushi-hen), and a possible second season of Haruhi Suzumiya. >>;

Apr 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #1,745 of 6,444
I haven't the patience to read through all 175 pages (I did for the Livewires thread ! haha), but has anyone meantioned DBZ? I've never watched dragonball (but intend to) and am kinda in the middle of GT, but man I love Dragonball Z. I've never really watched any other anime though...

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #1,746 of 6,444
I am thinking of subscribing for one of the gyaruge/anime magazines, hoping that would be the much necessary motivation for me to renew my studying the japanese language (actually, motivation has always been there.. more like a lack of willpower
frown.gif
)

Anyhow, among Comptiq, Megami and E 2, which one would you go for? From little what I know, Megami is the most well established, Comptiq is famous for heavy emphasis on haruhi/luckystar material, generally more focusing on the gyaruge/manga side (as opposed to anime). E 2 is the newest and the most expensive of the three. Ideally, I would get all three but my wallet would throw a hissy fit if I did that
frown.gif
Oh yeah, then there is Comp H's and Dengeki G's. Choices, choices...

I would like to hear what each tend to concetnrate on, what kinda extras they each come with and so on...

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #1,747 of 6,444
@MikoLayer: I'm not that into anime, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I just watch, read or listen to good media, whether it's from America or elsewhere, animated or live-action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't the patience to read through all 175 pages (I did for the Livewires thread ! haha), but has anyone meantioned DBZ? I've never watched dragonball (but intend to) and am kinda in the middle of GT, but man I love Dragonball Z. I've never really watched any other anime though...

You really need to broaden your horizons a bit. DBZ is one of the worst piles of doo-doo ever animated.

If you're into heavy action and violent fight scenes, might I suggest Shigurui, the aforementioned Black Lagoon, Baccano!, Mnemosyne and Angel Heart. (If you watch Angel Heart, watching City Hunter also makes it make more sense.)
I don't really know of any specifically martial-arts series that are any good, though the first two seasons and the OVA of Rurouni Kenshin are quite good. Everything after the Kyoto arc in the TV series is horrible.

Noir is okay if you can get past all the filler and flashbacks, and can deal with the odd bloodless gunfights. It has a gorgeous soundtrack, though. Yuki Kajiura seems to always rescue mediocre series with wonderful music. =/

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #1,748 of 6,444
I just finished watching Black Lagoon a couple of days ago, and I though it was rather nice. It wasn't the best anime I've ever watched but it was a great way to pass time and I wouldn't mind going back to watch it again.

Prior to that, I finished Kiddy Grade, Chrono Crusade and Vision of Escaflowne. All I can say is 'meh' for Kiddy Grade and Chrono Crusade. I can certainly see why Vision of Escaflowne is as popular as it is, but I didn't really care too much for it myself.

I also tried Shrine of The Morning Mist. I got through the first 6 minutes of the first episode, and for some reason, I can't seem to drag myself further into the series. It wasn't that the first 6 minutes were bad or anything, but I just can't seem to go further. Maybe if I wait a couple of weeks and try again...

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #1,749 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@MikoLayer: I'm not that into anime, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I just watch, read or listen to good media, whether it's from America or elsewhere, animated or live-action.

I don't really know of any specifically martial-arts series that are any good,

I wasnt really expecting the general public to know a whole lot about it, but I assumed some here do know and care
wink.gif
(Dear Carl, where are thou?)

Try Shura no Toki, I am not alone recommeding the show for action it has to offer. As for the newer series, RD Sennō Chōsa****su had some amazing fight sequence in the first eps. Doubt the show would be heavily action oriented though. Not exactly about martial arts, but Blassreiter was excellent. This is coming from someone who doesnt care much for action for the most part, it is that good
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Prior to that, I finished Kiddy Grade, Chrono Crusade and Vision of Escaflowne. All I can say is 'meh' for Kiddy Grade

I would be interested in how you would rate Uta-kata, since I had similar thoughts on Kiddy Grade. Uta-kata, however, was one of the best things that happened in 2004 (or the whole decade, I dare to say). Do watch it, and post some impressions on it here
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #1,750 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prior to that, I finished Kiddy Grade, Chrono Crusade and Vision of Escaflowne. All I can say is 'meh' for Kiddy Grade

I would be interested in how you would rate Uta-kata, since I had similar thoughts on Kiddy Grade. Uta-kata, however, was one of the best things that happened in 2004 (or the whole decade, I dare to say). Do watch it, and post some impressions on it here
smily_headphones1.gif

I just read the synopsis for Uta-kata on Wiki, and it does indeed, sound like something I'd like. Definitely going to have to try and track it down when I get back home off hitch.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #1,751 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also tried Shrine of The Morning Mist. I got through the first 6 minutes of the first episode, and for some reason, I can't seem to drag myself further into the series. It wasn't that the first 6 minutes were bad or anything, but I just can't seem to go further. Maybe if I wait a couple of weeks and try again...

I remember watching it. It was very mediocre anime that one watches once and forgets. I was at least able to make it through without much of a problem though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #1,752 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember watching it. It was very mediocre anime that one watches once and forgets. I was at least able to make it through without much of a problem though
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank God for that! That leaves me with hope that I might actually be able to make it all the way through it this next time I give it a shot! I usually hate to keep an anime partially watched and then throw it aside: even if its absolute junk, if it's small enough (i.e. 26 ep or less) I'll finish it off just to have closure.

May 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #1,753 of 6,444
with april nearly coming to end, here is a much overdue rundown of April shows of interest:

Top tier
The Tower of Druaga: anime adaptation of a Namco classic. Funny and solid (tons of moe to boot). Starring Orikasa Fumiko, Ishida Akira, Horie Yui and Chihara Minori(!)

Blassreiter: Nitro+ & Niθ, need I say more? Outstanding animation and action scenes, lots of violence and gore. Ito Shizuka is pure win.

Good
RD Senno Chosa****u: intriguing, original futuristic background setting, detailed and likable drawing, amazing action, AND some panchira to boot. Very impressed with it to say the least.

Toshokan Sensō: another Production IG work, based on the light novel Arikawa Hiro. The guy is known for extremely peculiar settings as in his earlier work Shio no Machi (which is also scheduled to be animated in the coming months). Similar attributes as above as far as production quality is concerned, packs a bit of military action instead of sci-fi, and appears to concentrate more on love-come side of things. I am still trying to get over the awkwardness of extreme media supression setting bit though. Has Maria Inoue and Sawashiro Miyuki in it.

Decent
Kamen no Maid Guy: listed in the "list of ecchi anime" on wikipedia; in fact, there is an uncensored version available aired on AT-X. The first eps almost made it look like one of the better shows of the season, then the second one felt embarrassingly stupid and forced. After finishing the third eps, I am willing to give them a benefit of doubt. Since I am an avid utawarerumono fan, I wonder what Yuzuki Ryouka has to say about the show (obviously I am referring to Koyama Rikiya's role in it
wink.gif
)

Da Capo 2 2nd Season: If you have followed the DC/DC2 franchise, this is more or less a continuation of the same old thing. No surprises here! Beautiful drawing, but just a wee bit too cliche and plain.

Wagaya no Oinari-sama: an alright light novel turned into an alright TV series. I kinda liked it, havnt got a chance to read the novel though. A good mix of Youkai + romantic comedy is what I am expecting out of it.

Alright
Kanokon / Toloveru: both are competing for the top spot for the most blatant fanservice show TV channels have seen to date. Suprisingly though, they are watchable. the former leans more toward comedy, the latter towards romance. Both look good as they should (fanservice shows they are, after all). Dont expect anything deep from either though.

Allison and Lilia: one of my all time favorite light novels turned into anime. Too bad it is aired on NHK, too many things got "adapted" to look harmless to younger audiences; the result is a bland show severely lacking in suspense abundant in the original book. Artwork is barely ok, plus I dont feel they did an adequate job at illustrating the eccentricity of the character Allison is. BTW, Werent both Bill and Allison supposed to be highschoolers? Gotta love Mizuki Nana though <3 An ok series solely due to the fact that the novel was superb. EDIT: so it was actually produced by madhouse. too watered down IMO; adaptation was ok in its own light but pales in comparison to the novel.

Nijū-Mensō no Musume: a story of a young, helpless heiress joining a group of righteous bandits with a cause. While drawing wasnt its forte, overall flow and atmosphere was good. If you are an Aya fan like me, cross check with Zettai Karen Children to compare the two contrasting roles she has for this season
wink.gif

Golgo13: if I wanted some action with a true alpha male, I would take this over Hokuto Shinken. Drawing and animation quality is laughable by today's standards, yet the show is mysteriously seducing. I could live without it though.

Macross Frontier: I cant really put my finger on it, but something about the show really irks me - maybe the characters, the fact that I wasnt a big fan of the original, or the terrible songs (IMO anyway), whatever. Good graphics though, but if I want my sci-fi visual fix I would go with Blassreiter or Real Drive instead.

Maybe, maybe not...
Zettai Karen Children: again, only saw first 20 minutes of the show. I just dont seem to be able to tune in to shounen manga's with hyperbizzare villians. Whan an annoying antagnoist with an annoying technique that was
frown.gif
May continue to watch it just for Aya goddess factor
wink.gif

Kurenai: with just one episode 1 managed to watch, there isnt much I can say about it. I would like to see more of it.

Kyōran Kazoku Nikki: kinda weird, unfunny and too cliche so far. Has Kugimiya Rie CV going for it.

Not interested/stopped after eps1
Code Geass: never liked the setting & CLAMP artwork
SA Special A: clearly appeals to BL/shōjo demographic first and foremost, no thx!
Neo Angelique Abyss: same as above
Monochrome Factor: same as above
Itazura Kiss: same as above, for the most part. too corny to me
Amatsuki: same as above
Vampire Kishi: same as above
Jyunjyo Romantica: same as above, ecchi while at that O.o
Ninja no Ou: same as above
Himitsu ~Top Secret: same as above
Crystal Blades: looked like just another cheap esper agent show, meh
Soul Eater: if are a naruto fan, you may dig this a lot. not me though
Uchino San Shimai: looked like a creyon shincan to me
Kaiba: very unconventional, supposed to be dealing with some serious substance. coudnt get used to the drawing though

May 2, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #1,754 of 6,444
Nice sum-up Miko, looks like you're keeping very busy
wink.gif

I was finally able to finish up the last of the "lost" episodes of Black Lagoon, unfortunately they seemed to go downhill and really pull down the series. I'm talking about after 17 or so. We end up with a down-trodden and somewhat philosophical Rock, lot's of long, dull exchanges of dialog, a long lead up to a gun and swordfight at a bowling alley that could have been a lot more awesome, and a rather mediocre ending. Based on the final episodes I have to drop down the cumulative rating to 4.25/5. Still excellent, but the action and excitement really seems to peter out at the end.

May 2, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #1,755 of 6,444
I never cease to be disappointed by people liking anime for it's action, violence, and "gore". Like these are necessarily good features. I do like a good handful of anime largely because of what it offers in that arena, but it's still only a single aspect among a large handful of reasons to love various things. First and foremost, I like depth. Music is a great point. The sheer involvement of a story can earn my approval as well. Just the same, I'm also partial to 'slow-paced' series like Lain SE and Witch Hunter Robin. I find that they leave a lot of room open to bring the series to life of your own will.. assuming you have the patience and thoughtfulness

I gotta jet for work, I'll come post my list of approved-ofs and the reasons why for each one when I get home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back