Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #1,651 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just started on Azumanga Daioh with the first 9 episodes of the anime and first volume of the manga. You think it would be better to wait until I finish the manga before continuing with the anime, to see first how the jokes were originally done, or does it not really make any difference here?

I have only minimal experience with the manga, but I remember some of the jokes being transferred from the manga to the anime word for word and movement to movement. I think it's a safe bet that not a whole lot was lost in the conversion, though I could be wrong. There's a few scenes early in the anime series where a character (can't remember her name) was formally introduced only to be phased out very early on. Maybe the manga had more scenes involving this character.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell ya, but stay far away from the English dub on this one. Not only is it very subpar, but it actually kills a few really good jokes, some of which are about the English language. Also, beware the penguin suit. You'll know when you see it.
wink.gif
(man I hate this winky)

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #1,652 of 6,444
Picked up Baccano now that it's run is over. The setting is 1930's gangland America mixed with a bit of alchemistic immortality potion thrown in, and (mostly) follows the journey of a transcontinental train where various bad things happen. Primary characters are a few antiheroes, a psychopath, a lot of mafiosi, and a pair of hilarious thieves. (Yeah, there's a lot of primary characters.) Course, the writers must have decided that it was all a bit too simple, so they chopped the story up into digestible bits and scrambled them around. This makes it a bit tough to get started since there are a whole lot of characters, and the slice by slice nature of the show introduces them all in rapid succession. The story structure does have its payoffs later in the show, but I'm not sure if it would have been much of a loss to present the show in sequential order.

All in all, everything pretty much works with no major story gaps, and the show wraps up nicely in its 13 episodes. Bacanno's a lot of fun and easily my favorite fall '07 series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On that note, was I the only one that was disappointed with Solid State Society? To me it just felt way to dragged out. IMO that could have done that story in a 23 minute episode or two if they wanted to. No need to drag the sucker out a full hour and a half. Overall I can't quite put my finger on what exactly I didn't like, but I walked away unsatisfied.

Agreed. The GiTS people really don't seem to know what to do with movie length features. Solid State Society and the second GiTS movie both suffered from pretty severe pacing issues and not enough story. The long stretches of "boring" killed the movie for me in both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Anyone knows when season 2 for Code Geass is coming out, if any?

The Jan. '08 issue of Newtype confirmed release in Spring '08. Hopefully whatever's plaguing Gundam 00 won't infect the rest of Sunrise.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #1,653 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. The GiTS people really don't seem to know what to do with movie length features. Solid State Society and the second GiTS movie both suffered from pretty severe pacing issues and not enough story. The long stretches of "boring" killed the movie for me in both.

At least GITS: Innocence had its extremely impressive visuals to compensate for its extreme bouts of slowness. SSS just seemed kinda bland compared to both the original movie and it's sequel.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #1,654 of 6,444
I agree about the boring sessions in GiTS. They seem to take themselves far too seriously sometimes, waxing philosophical and drawing uninteresting conclusions about things that aren't even loosely related to plot. Sure, philosophy can be very interesting in the right context, but I'd rather they didn't pack the episodes with it during downtime when it isn't necessary for the plot to progress. It seems like other anime will use downtime to lighten the mood and concentrate on character development. I think both 1st and 2nd gig could benefit from a little bit of mood lightening from time to time.

In Re: to no Azumanga Daioh love, I really liked that series. It was quite slow moving and nothing really happened, but once you understood that was just the way it was, it was easy to appreciate the whimsical pace and quirky sense of humor. I'd love to see a sequel if they ever made one.

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #1,655 of 6,444
Just finished watching I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs for the second time, I have no idea why I love it but I really do. Stepping back and looking at the plot, it seems so strange to have an anime about the relationship between a 23 year old teacher who cross-dresses as a woman and a 14 year old female student, but it's just so good! I always feel my heart strings being pulled at the end
biggrin.gif

If you're up for a slightly unusual romantic comedy, I'd really recommend this one. It's a tough find though, not many retailers carry it anymore.

5134ED6VDDL._AA240_.jpg

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #1,656 of 6,444
been watching genshiken (caught up to current release). it's kinda out there, but realistic at the same time.
An anime that pokes fun about people who enjoy anime/and the like.

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #1,657 of 6,444
-Series-
Gunslinger Girl
Cowboy Bebop
Last Exile
Ergo Proxy (1st Disc)
Desert Punk
Noir

-Movies-
The Girl who Leaped Through Time
Paprika
Ghost in the Shell
Mind Game
Spirited Away
Voices of a Distant Star
The Place Promised in Our Early Days

One series worthy of special mention is "Serial Experiments: Lain". Very very good series. It does require lots of thought to even start untangling it's many layers of ambiguity though.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #1,658 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
been watching genshiken (caught up to current release). it's kinda out there, but realistic at the same time.
An anime that pokes fun about people who enjoy anime/and the like.

I loved Genshiken, I found it to be a lot more enjoyable than Comic Party, which is kinda in the same vein.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #1,659 of 6,444
Pretty old school, but I finally got around to watching Saber Marionette J and I'm nearly done with J-X. These series join a vast amount of other anime exploring the relationship between man and machine, albeit not too seriously. When I first started watching, I was immediately reminded of Tenchi Muyo, and how it's one guy living in a house surrounded by women who are enamored with him, although it never really falls into the date sim / brothel type anime.

The setting is on a planet called Terra II, basically a second earth that people had crash landed on when looking for other areas to inhabit in space. Because there were no surviving females, the whole society is based on male clones. To fill the void, marionettes were created to fulfill the roles of females, but they are pretty much void of emotion. Otaru (the protagonist) discovers the Saber Marionettes, which have a maiden chip, effectively giving them a soul. So they are very human in their actions. Further in, a typical plot unravels with a
dictator vying to take over the world, which I won't get into to spoil any of the stuff that happens along the way.

The protagonist Otaru borrows a couple of pages from the Ash Catchem script, as he always wants to do everything himself, and his naiveté can be annoying at times. Fortunately, that's where the similarities end, so he isn't overconfident and aggravatingly childish. That being said, I'd say that J-X is aimed toward a younger audience than the original J, and the plots start out a little cheesy.

Both series are 26 episode affairs, and I noticed a little more filler in J-X than the original. Also of note is that the J DVDs seemed to be transferred from VHS tape, and poorly enough that one can notice the timecode on the top of the screen during transitions. J-X simplifies the more detailed animation lines from J, perhaps a little too much, and has a much more crisp look. Some parts of J-X also look like they were given to a amateur video editor who wanted to try out all his built in effects, and the show suffers because of it. Also of note is the extras in J-X, while appreciated, are dubbed incredibly low. Once you get past the gripes with the quality, these are both good series that are pretty enjoyable to watch and fairly cheap to find.

Saber Marionette J - 3.2/5

Saber Marionette J-X - 2.7/5

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #1,660 of 6,444
Anime's that I have truly enjoyed watching.

Ninja Scroll movie. First anime I ever saw. This bug bit me bad and made me want to see what Anime has to offer)

Neon Genesis Evangelion + movies. Quite twisted when looked beyond the shell.

Gundam Seed. Absolutely awesome serie. Bit emo, bit still good characters following awesome and epic story.

Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence AKA OVA 1 AKA Trust and Betrayal. Best fricking anime movie ever. A masterpiece!

Series that I somewhat enjoyed:

Escaflowne serie. Decent. Had high hopes, but wasnt really for me. Not bad though.

Dragon Drive serie. GOD, that was so pokemonish!!! But I still had to see it through and wasnt too dissapointed.
redface.gif

Series that I seriously disliked or feel like were butchered and ruined:

Gundam Seed Destiny. (after awesome original Seed, this serie had excellent first half. But it fell to so complete ruin that im still wondering What happened.
eek.gif
If there ever will be sequel, it better be damn good to fix damage this serie did to Seed saga)

Love Hina. I could see my intelligence rating drop below 0 level as I watched this. I still dont understand why I watched it through, but thats a mistake im not going to repeat any time soon.

Rurouni Kenshin TV serie... This is something way overrated and hyped. Series like this ruin anime in my eyes. Luckily the movie saved the face of Kenshin.

Final Fantasy Unlimited. Final Fantasy meets Saturday morning kid-TV shows...

I have watched couple of episodes from Cowboy Bepop. I got bored fast, but it did have potential. I guess I had to get my hands on this serie again and watch it through.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #1,662 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amine is stupid, it's for nerds.

That would be same as saying all movies are stupid, or music is stupid. Anime is just way to make movies or series, ranging from kiddies shows, horror, comedy, action, even pr0n (
eek.gif
). Being drawn doesnt make it any geekish, being obsessed about it makes one geek, just like there are videogame and movie geeks aswell, not to mention bookworms and so on. (AND!!! *gasp* Head-fiers!
biggrin.gif
) If you are basing your opinion on series like Rurouni Kenshin or Naruto, I understand where that impression comes from...

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #1,663 of 6,444
I'm very enjoying Eureka 7 series, a great mecha anime with a great soundtracks, which is same to FLCL (Fuli Culi).

Right now, I'm watching Honey & Clover series...
and sobbing around in the corner,
remembering my youthful day... sweet moments... which will be gone very soon T_T

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #1,664 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be same as saying all movies are stupid, or music is stupid. Anime is just way to make movies or series, ranging from kiddies shows, horror, comedy, action, even pr0n (
eek.gif
). Being drawn doesnt make it any geekish, being obsessed about it makes one geek, just like there are videogame and movie geeks aswell, not to mention bookworms and so on. (AND!!! *gasp* Head-fiers!
biggrin.gif
) If you are basing your opinion on series like Rurouni Kenshin or Naruto, I understand where that impression comes from...

No no no, he said amine, not anime. Amines are indeed for chemistry nerds.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #1,665 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amine is stupid, it's for nerds.

Yeah amine is stupid... and i'm proud to be a nerd/otaku/pervert/...

Now watching Urusei Yatsura, really enjoying this one. Love that classic style, animation, lame jokes. That show is as old as me!
And I'm halfway with Fullmetal Alchemist. Awesome show
And watched Colorful for the 4th time. Amazing show for perverts (like me ^^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back