Any affordable, musical USB cables out there?
Jun 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:
I am planning on building my very first desktop rig when I have enough dough. The headphones would be the lcd3's the dac would probably be a nad m51 or maybe schiit's new upcoming statement dac. I really want to bring out the best detail and clarity from the lcd3 with nice airy highs, I dont want any component in the chain to be holding back the potential of the lcd3's. I will probably be getting a silver cable from toxic cables in the future for the lcd3's. But is the usb cable really as important as the headphone cable? 

Yes, the USB cable (synchronous) also provide unique sound signatures depending on what you get.  Jitter affects timing and the resulting sound is different.  The material (conductors) used in the cable affects timing as well in addition to other electrical noise that carry.

LCD3 is a nice headphone. What you want to try is compare the cables yourself. Try the generic USB cable and try out one of the mid grade part silver part copper conductor USB cable. If you don't like it, you can return it.  The best way for you to try it as everyone has different ears and hearing capabilities... Don't limit yourself because others tell you there is no difference. They are not you.  And yes, I am also experienced in USB cables for DAC's as well.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 51
There is no need to try it out, just as there is no need to 'try for yourself' what the boiling point of water is. There are many things that we know, and certainly the frailty of the human mind is one of them.

Just go to monoprice and be done with it.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:
I have an Angel cable (full solid 100% silver w/ FEP air-tube) from Audioquest and it is worth every penny.  These cables have their own sound signatures and are very, very distinctive. The difference is huge.   Diamond (for USB) is a very good one too.  Be glad those only run around 700 USD. I paid nearly double, $1200 for my Angel.   If you have some money to spare be prepared to spend at least 200 or more if you want nice butter low end details and moderate highs.  If you want more and crisper highs (better treble extensions) with more details the solid silver is the key.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for?  Try to be as detail as possible.

$1200?  Did you seriously spend $1200 on a USB cable?  Wow.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #19 of 51
They do provide differences in sound.  it's not boiling point.  It would do no good when a person is deaf or hearing impaired. 

Don't limit yourself because they tell you to go with cheap cable. They are not you.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:
Daddy must be rich, Johnny must be insane!

My Dad makes $100k a year.  My Mom, $35k.   I make $42k.

But I don't live with them and get no help on anything.

I own a house, brand new.  I have a new car that costs near $50k.  Nope, no co-signs.  The cable too was purchased by me, under my bank account all out of my pocket. No charging.

Not that I'm trying to show off I have money and know how to manage money.  It's the immense sound differences you get from cables, which is why I had to get them.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #23 of 51
If you are really short on the money at least get one with high quality high purity copper conductor cable.  The price range anywhere from $150 and up. 

Those monocables and bluejeans are junk. No better than some generic cables which sound quite foggy and the details don't pop.

Yes, the silver will give you airy sound too.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:
If you are really short on the money at least get one with high quality high purity copper conductor cable.  The price range anywhere from $150 and up. 

Those monocables and bluejeans are junk. No better than some generic cables which sound quite foggy and the details don't pop.

Yes, the silver will give you airy sound too.

Wow man, what kind of DAC are you using that cables should have such a bad effect on your system.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #26 of 51
i got a good chuckle out of this thread.

my USB cable is pure gold.  and it sounds better than any of you poor people could believe

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:
I hope the recommendation of an 'at least' $150 cable to go with a $110 DAC should speak for itself.

That depends on the DAC. You don't have to have expensive DAC to use a $150 cable.  

Quote:
Wow man, what kind of DAC are you using that cables should have such a bad effect on your system.

Currently, none.  Just straight out of headphone port, using $1200 analog cable because it sounds better.  You don't have to have a killer system to use a nice cable. There is so much of gain to be had even with no external DAC or amp.   And this setup obliterated my $200 DAC w/ $200 cable because the DAC was the bottleneck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back