Another Stax SRM-T2
Dec 16, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #121 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
2.While I only have a somewhat limited experience in this area, having only tried 6 or 7 cables with the Omegas in my system, Vertigo-1 has a lot of experience.

I think my experience is a bit nil compared to the experience of some of these gentlemen.
wink.gif
Cables is probably the last thing Jatinder has to worry about, if you take note of his cable inventory. His cables alone probably cost more than my whole system!

Of course, cable rolling helps though, in the sense of the age old "synergy" idea. I don't think it's a coincidence that I ended up with silver powercords and a silver plated copper interconnect for the Omega IIs. These all simultaneously helped to settle down the bass and level the highs so that everything felt more in balance than when I heard the Omega IIs right out of the box. Out of the box, the Omega IIs were not unlike what Jatinder described...muffled and muted highs, and an intense bass that just boomed away. IMO, the Omega II likes silver cables.

Dec 16, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #122 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by jatinder

Perhaps - the OmegaII/007t needed a bit of cable-rolling etc to get it to perform properly? I really don't know.

Tuberolling is IMO a necessity with this amp. They can take the sound all the way between lush and loose to tight and incisive. Again, I use the amp with an HE 60. The tubes also greatly affect the tonal balance. IME it takes a set of tubes about 100 playing hours to achieve the sound they're going to have in the amp. Further, the HE-60/007t seems to need close to three hours of warmup before the full sound of the headphone is there.

Occasionally I wonder if there are any other owners of the SRM-007t that have never owned a Stax headphone
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #123 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
The grounded-grid is a technology that is almost unique in the world of audio, only one or two other designs in the world have ever used it. It was used a lot in radio, however, because of its excellent properties.

Just curious, Eric: which one or two amps utilise this arrangement? Are those amps for headphones or for loudspeakers?

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #124 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by darth nut
Just curious, Eric: which one or two amps utilise this arrangement? Are those amps for headphones or for loudspeakers?

I'm not sure, you'd have to ask Kevin Gilmore.

Dec 17, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #126 of 131
I read... very good pictures...

I had another confirm that the SS amps for the Omega II are not for me (or for my tastes).

this is what Matt said:

I heard them side-by-side and let me tell you, there really is no comparison. The KGSS stood, as Wayne said previously, head and shoulders above the 007t.

The areas where it especially shone for me: speed, microdynamics/inner detail, way snappier transients/rhythm and pace (foot tapping versus foot...wanting...to...tap...), clarity (the 007t had this unappealing slightly fuzzy-around-the-edges character in comparison).

To the 007t's credit, it didn't seem to have some of the problems that plagued the SRM-313 I used to have (weird frequency response, a feeling of incredible transparency for some ranges and a frustratingly veiled sound in others simultaneously). In the end though, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Your senses and emotions will simply be engaged more with the Gilmore.

- Matt
--------------------------------

My conclusion after reding this is: I prefer the 007t amp just for those things... I think that even considering the different source we have, also we have a very different musical culture and tastes, I'm saing european-american, seems that you (americans) prefer the ultradetailed definition of sound, very extended extremes (low and hi) and no so much gold and intimacy of a more natural med and romaticism of a warmth sound... (tubes like).

Best!
Nicola

Dec 17, 2003 at 10:07 AM Post #127 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Out of the box, the Omega IIs were not unlike what Jatinder described...muffled and muted highs, and an intense bass that just boomed away.

That's an understatement right there. My OmegaII's were lightly used, and I just picked up this weekend a T1 with a pair of Lambda Signatures used locally just to get some use in before the KGSS gets finished. For the first 24 hours of the OmegaIIs being plugged in, they plain sucked, no highs and so boomy and loose in the lower range that it was almost impossible to listen to, probably the worst experience I've ever had with higher quality headphones. It really took until 48 hours till they got pretty good, but leaving it on to see if it breaks in further.

Dec 17, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #128 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
My conclusion after reding this is: I prefer the 007t amp just for those things... I think that even considering the different source we have, also we have a very diffferent musical culture and tastes, I'm saing european-american, seems that you (americans) prefer the ultradetailed definition of sound, very extended extremes (low and hi) and no so much gold and intimacy of a more natural med and romaticism of a warmth sound... (tubes like).

Best!
Nicola

Thanks Nik. It seems we have polar opposite tastes in sound. I was seriously considering getting one of the Egmont amps you loved so much, but it seems it would be a step backwards for me. I, like Matt, love the things that the KGSS does quite well, and would not want to give it up. Now that I know that the Egmont provides a perspective quite different from my tastes I may now remove it from my list of amps I want to look at buying.

This is not a fault of the amp, or a problem of the amp, it is merely a personal preference that does not line up with mine. As I said to Jatinder, a lot of times things do not fall quite so easily into the good/better category at this level of quality, they merely fall into closer or farther from my personal preferences.

Dec 17, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #129 of 131
Good!

But I do not understand as who like the Omega II with SS amp (KG or Stax or others...) at the same time like a lot the sound of the R10 speaking of them as the best headpohne ever. In my opinion and experiences the R10 is a precise example of that "tubey sound" I like, but with a problem in the med-bass region (a bit confused not so clear) that is the typical problem of the valves amps...

With Omega II Tha t do not have surely that problem in the med-bass region, I can to find another time that "tubey sound" (of the R10/Angstrom), but only using a tub amp for them, so the Omega II + Egmont (this is what I LISTENED) can to be a "R10" rivisited in a new edition.

I think that the source we are using is a big component in our tests. The Linn CD 12 is incredibly neutral (as the Omega is between the headphones) so a little "color" that a tube amp can give would be nothing bad...

Best!
Nicola

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #130 of 131
Raising this from the dead. Did anyone in the US end up buying a T2?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #131 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raising this from the dead. Did anyone in the US end up buying a T2?
evil_smiley.gif

Apart from daveDerek who list a T2 in his profile I know none..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back