Another Stax SRM-T2
Dec 15, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #91 of 131
Very good!

I do not know nothing about the schematic of the Egmont signature (for the moment), but I just know very well how it sound head by head compared with the Stax 007t (with the best valves) and 717 and I have no doubt that the Egmont sounds much better in all parameters...

I'm still waiting for a comparison of the Stax drivers with the Gilmore amps, but untill now, nothing yet!

I do not buy the best object in the world, but just what I think is the best for my personal test experiences.

"...as old as the hills..." (may be... I'll confirm you if you are in the right way about the project) but still good enaught IMHO!

???????

Best!
Nicola

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #92 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
given the tube complement of the egmont amp, there are
only 4 possible schematics.

Heheheh...
biggrin.gif

Now we gotta figure out the resistor values in those schematics. Or are they also known but you didn't feel like writing them in...?
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #93 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by jatinder
Eric, you're a genius - this does describe what I found about the Orpheus and the Omega II. However, I didn't (and still don't) find the bass on the Orpheus (driven by the Orpheus amp) to be lacking. The bass is certainly not as forward and as visceral as the Omegas.

--Jatinder

Hey, I'm not done with my review yet... my opinion of either of these headphones hasn't come close to settling down so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #94 of 131
... and more, the Egmont's designer knows very well the Gilmore schematics (everyone can to know them on the internet), but he do not has the same ideas...

Probably I'll comission a hibryd Gilmore by zzz in the future, and than I'll tell you guys, my comparison of the two amps... comparison just in the sound aspect!

I knew a lot of designers in my life and all of them are right! But not all their product sound decently.

Best!
Nicola

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #95 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by jatinder
Eric, you're a genius - this does describe what I found about the Orpheus and the Omega II. However, I didn't (and still don't) find the bass on the Orpheus (driven by the Orpheus amp) to be lacking. The bass is certainly not as forward and as visceral as the Omegas.

--Jatinder

Jatinder,

this I do not understand in your taste: you prefer the Orpheus to the Omega II that has (as you said) exagerated bass, even more than the R10/Angstrom??? (impossible!!!).

How long did you keep the Omega II?

Best!
Nicola

Dec 15, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #96 of 131
http://www.rudistor.com/sound-lab/diy.htm

Hi guys you can visit the DIY page of the Rudistor page... the Heuridix amp for the electrostatic headphone is similar to the Egmont schematic...

No secret!

Best!
Nicola

Dec 15, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #97 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
compared with the Stax 007t (with the best valves)

You might want to try RCA 6CG7 black plate tubes. I'm using the Mazda-Brimar's now, and feel that they don't have as much control at the low frequencies as the RCA's. I like the black plates a LOT better than the RCA cleartops I've heard, and am going to switch back to RCA's if bass on the Mazda-Brimars doesn't tighten up after 100 hours or so.

The HE 90 comparison to Omega II fascinates me. The HE 60 is a different headphone, but it's got loads of bass. It almost sounds like there's a real change in sonic signature (in dynamic cans, this might be analogous to CD3000 and R10). The higher end can may obtain greater transparency at the expense of low frequency impact...which may actually make sense in terms of a full-range driver. A faster driver may be tuned to smaller movements, and not have the excursion necessary to push deep bass properly.

I can see an Omega II in my future. It's almost inevitable. I've already got a Stax amp...might as well try it with a Stax headphone
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #98 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

The HE 90 comparison to Omega II fascinates me. The HE 60 is a different headphone, but it's got loads of bass. It almost sounds like there's a real change in sonic signature (in dynamic cans, this might be analogous to CD3000 and R10). The higher end can may obtain greater transparency at the expense of low frequency impact...which may actually make sense in terms of a full-range driver. A faster driver may be tuned to smaller movements, and not have the excursion necessary to push deep bass properly.

Hmm... interesting. Now I need some HE60s
rolleyes.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #99 of 131
Hi Hirsch,

I bought all the RCA types of 6fq7 (cleartop-shields-cryogen...) and more GE-National Gold-Golden Dragon- Ei-... but the most musical tubes in my setup are the Brimar/Mazda... MUSICAL !!! I'm not only looking for the most low bass or the most hi hi... but MUSIC, that is another thing! Is something you can "listen" with your heart more than with your ears. In this sense the Brimar/Mazda help a lot the listener's emotions.
The RCA have a better impact, but not the same musicality absolutely!

Best!
Nicola

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #100 of 131
http://www.rudistor.com/sound-lab/diy.htm

Not one cap in the signal path is it. One cap in each of
the two signal paths.

This is an open loop design. Absolutely no feedback whatsoever.
The thd is more like .5% or worse.

It is a lot like the nova scotia weather. If you don't like it then
wait an hour.

section to section matching of both tubes is very important.
Tube rolling can go on forever. As the tubes age the sound
will change. Dramatically change...

The reduced power supply voltages will limit the dynamic
range of the headphones.

66k plate resistors will limit the high frequency response
into higher capacitance headphones.

Running 12ax7's at 500 volts is also not a good idea.

Any decently designed tube amp should sound roughly the
same regardless of the tubes used. This is definitely not
one of those designs.

It is a very easy design to build. A good starting point for
someone who wants to get into electrostatic amps on the
way to complicated designs.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #101 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
The RCA have a better impact, but not the same musicality absolutely!

Hi Nik,

What I said applies to black plate RCA's only. None of the others I've heard are as good. So far, they make the Mazda-Brimar sound sloppy and loose. I need to finish burning in the Mazda-Brimars, rebias again, then eventually switch back to the RCA's to be sure.

Dec 16, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #103 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
no you don't.
biggrin.gif

Why not? Bump up the bass a notch or two and the HE90s would be the perfect headphone... right now they're really optimized more for recording/mastering where transparency and neutrality take precedence over fun factor...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #104 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Why not? Bump up the bass a notch or two and the HE90s would be the perfect headphone... right now they're really optimized more for recording/mastering where transparency and neutrality take precedence over fun factor...
smily_headphones1.gif

the orpheus was engineered for mixing/mastering? you've got to be kidding me.

i found the he60's to have a really loose sound. they aren't anywhere near as refined as he90 or omega 2. i found the overall sound a bit boomy and loose in a direct side-by-side comparison to omega 2 on bozebuttons' (and now hirsch's) 007t amp.

you might like them though.

Dec 16, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #105 of 131
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
the orpheus was engineered for mixing/mastering? you've got to be kidding me.

i found the he60's to have a really loose sound. they aren't anywhere near as refined as he90 or omega 2. i found the overall sound a bit boomy and loose in a direct side-by-side comparison to omega 2 on bozebuttons' (and now hirsch's) 007t amp.

you might like them though.

It's the old high-end audio debate... do you want a component that gives you the sound, the whole sound, and nothing but the sound? Or a component that just sounds good?

Hmm about those HE60s. I still want to hear them though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, btw, nice sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back