Another Seattle (mini-)meet?
Aug 15, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #61 of 120
LOL! That was good.

So are you saying that the HE90's aren't durable?
orphsmile.gif

Actually, I'm quite the non-combatant despite for the fact that I play hockey. Life is short enough without fighting.

I've listened to the Orpheus/KGSS and it's very nice but I would have to say that I'm currently more curious about the taste of cooked human flesh.
eek.gif

Of course, your KGSS might just eliminate my need to do any cooking.
wink.gif

fewtch: Classy? Oh man, have you got the wrong group. We're headphone geeks and that pretty much sums it up.

Just because I love fine dining (and probably do too much of it), I refuse to enforce a dress code at home no matter what is being consumed. Well, the one stipulation is that you wear clothes and that they are relatively clean.

Given possible temperatures and that many people, t-shirt and shorts are probably preferable. No A/C here (other than windows and the deck). And NO gawking at the teenage girls that hang out at the pool next to my building except for Eric because he's young enough.

A beer with food won't kill you. Personally, I think it puts you in a slightly relaxed mood to listen to music. There's too much of this critical listening to see if you can hear treble peakiness or a hollowness in a snare drum.

I know so many obsessive audiophiles who really don't listen to music for music. They listen to systems and that royally sucks the fun out of it all.

EDIT: I really have to get a digital camera so I can post a picture of my bike to lure vwap into showing up.

Aug 15, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #62 of 120
Wilson:>>"I know so many obsessive audiophiles who really don't listen to music for music. They listen to systems and that royally sucks the fun out of it all."

Yup

I had a talk with a musician friend of mine who is pretty up there in the local scene and it was wierd to me the different ways in which we use electronics for audio. He looks for emotional tonal qualities and I look for tonal fidelity and dynamic power. A crappy piece of engineering nightmare to me is a perfect bluesy tube amp to him and his producer. Kinda wierd that we get our equipment for fidelity of alot of crappy equipment. hmm

Aug 15, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #64 of 120
yeah. oops.

er, I mean ouch.

Nevermind. Certainly not here. We'll speak of this later. Maybe.

And speaking of nice cars, I drive an '81 Chevy Caprice Classic: I'll put my trunk up against any-bodys.

Oops.

(Nothing like drinking Rose' to make you feel all sweet and loving)

Aug 15, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #65 of 120
hi fellas just woke up from my 6 hour nap ....blasted work hours ...

Aug 15, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #66 of 120
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
fewtch: Classy? Oh man, have you got the wrong group. We're headphone geeks and that pretty much sums it up.

Just because I love fine dining (and probably do too much of it), I refuse to enforce a dress code at home no matter what is being consumed. Well, the one stipulation is that you wear clothes and that they are relatively clean.

Given possible temperatures and that many people, t-shirt and shorts are probably preferable. No A/C here (other than windows and the deck). And NO gawking at the teenage girls that hang out at the pool next to my building except for Eric because he's young enough.

A beer with food won't kill you. Personally, I think it puts you in a slightly relaxed mood to listen to music. There's too much of this critical listening to see if you can hear treble peakiness or a hollowness in a snare drum.

I know so many obsessive audiophiles who really don't listen to music for music. They listen to systems and that royally sucks the fun out of it all.

Yeah, but one can listen to music at home alone... I'm interested in hearing some systems (and cans) that I may never get the chance to hear again, and certainly won't be able to afford at the moment... maybe learn some ways to improve my system in the process.

OK on the clothes thing, and I had no intention of coming naked or wearing scummy clothes...
biggrin.gif

BTW, I have in mind a couple interesting things I may bring along -- some digitized samples on CD-R from my turntable (would like to compare it with yours for the sake of curiosity, even if digital kills some of the ambiance). Also, I was thinking of maybe bringing my cheap (but serviceable, especially with a regulated wall wart) 4-output Rolls HA43 headphone amp, for purposes of comparing different sets of low impedance cans. It's not too bad with the better power supply (and after being switched on for about an hour)... treble can sound a little 'hard' but it does OK with clean sources -- might come in handy for direct comparisons between different sets of cans at the same time.

Aug 15, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #67 of 120
Hmm.. Maybe I'll make an appearance in this thread..
smily_headphones1.gif

I probably won't know whether or not I can make it until the middle of next week, although I'll try to be there... Unless anyone desperately wants to listen to the Melos, I think I'll leave my gear at home.

Perhaps I'll take the bus over along with pedals, shoes and a helmet... and take the C40 for a loooong spin
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #68 of 120
A Melos? Always wanted to hear one of those... and you can never have too many HP-1s at a meet! (just ask the SoCal guys...)

You are hereby ordered to bring all the audio gear you can carry! That applies to everyone!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #69 of 120
vwap: you are most welcome to take the bike for a ride even if it rains although I don't have fenders and we'll probably want to use my rain wheels (better traction). Good idea about bringing the pedals/shoes/helmet.

I think you are a touch taller than me (since you want a 56 cm Prince) so we probably don't need to adjust the saddle height. Your ATACs I believe have a lower stacking height than my Looks.

Oh and you might want bike shorts just in case you find my saddle choice too hard.

The Melos would be nice to hear. I'm thinking of getting Canman's Gold Reference now that I have the HP-1s but I still might get it even if I don't hear yours.

Heh, I think I need to sell off my Litespeed or a kidney.
eek.gif

1 HP-1s and 2 HP-2s is a pretty damn good showing given that there are probably less than 20-25 Head-Fiers in Seattle.

Aug 15, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #70 of 120
Quote:

vwap: you are most welcome to take the bike for a ride even if it rains although I don't have fenders and we'll probably want to use my rain wheels (better traction). Good idea about bringing the pedals/shoes/helmet.

The Melos would be nice to hear. I'm thinking of getting Canman's Gold Reference now that I have the HP-1s but I still might get it even if I don't hear yours.

looooooong ride.
wink.gif
Which is why I'd take the bus and not bring any gear!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Nah.. I'd probably just gawk at the C40 (or whatever else you have sitting around...).. I'd be too afraid of breaking it somehow..
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll see what I can do about the Melos... but that's all contingent on whether or not I can make it
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #71 of 120
you guys with your bikes with exotic with super alloys and carbon fibers ... heh blasted fred meyer bikes .... my cannondale was stolen .... alas ..el cheapo for now ..

Aug 16, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #73 of 120
Quote:

B_D: I posted the sparing part so we wouldn't get in trouble with the moderators.
wink.gif

But you are right about a little bit of alcohol with music. That's a big reason why we like to listen to music at home instead of going to a concert. Listening to music on OUR terms.

Yes it is true The Big Reason I no longer go to alot of concerts is the fact it is a plublic Place and I do not go out Much anymore.

Aug 16, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #74 of 120
Quote:

Originally posted by ppl
Yes it is true The Big Reason I no longer go to alot of concerts is the fact it is a plublic Place and I do not go out Much anymore.

Yeah, me either. This mini meeting sounds like fun tho, and I missed my 20 year high school reunion last year (bleh... no great loss there). Gotta do something every once in awhile or I'm gonna grow a root out of my back and into the fabric of this chair...
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #75 of 120
Quote:

Originally posted by ppl

...and here we have Exhibit A, the stereotypical genius engineer...

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back