Another Seattle (mini-)meet?
Aug 11, 2003 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

Wilson M.

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

PPL and binary_digit have requested a listen to my turntable and so we thought that another small meet would be fun.

We're thinking next week, either weeknight or weekend (probably Saturday).

Preference would be at my place (Redmond just by Microsoft) but if we get more than 12 people then it will probably need to be at their place in Maple Valley and that would likely have to wait until the weekend.

Please let us know (post here) whether you can make it and what night (or Saturday) is good for you. Probably looking at 7pm or so for weeknights (so people don't have to fight too much traffic).

I will have my HR-2 before then and it would be fun to compare it to the PPA and I'm hoping radrd can make it with his Gilmore. A small group should be able to do a good comparison.

I should have a pair of Grado HP-1s by the end of this week as well. (I have many friends in low places.)

Hopefully Eric and zzz can make it and it would be a real treat to be able to listen to the Orpheus versus Omega IIs through Eric's KGSS and zzz's weebl. (And please, someone stand behind zzz to catch him after he looks at Eric's KGSS and faints.)

Anyhow, let us know the best couple of nights and who can make it.

Thanks.

Aug 12, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 120
I forgot if I asked before, Wilson -- are there any bus stops close by where you live (and if so, route#)? I live in Newcastle, just south of Bellevue so would be hopping the 240. I could bring by my Denon cans (should have the AH-D950's I bought from mbriant by then... Denon's top of the line, now discontinued)... I could also bring some of my rare/unusual LP's, mostly Moog synthesizer stuff from the mid to late 60's.

Not sure what kind of turntable you have, but it's probably better than my Thorens TD-160 with AT440ML cart... sheesh, all I need is to hear something that makes me reach for my wallet again...
biggrin.gif

Anyway, if it would be possible to do something during the day on a weekend, rather than a weeknight... a Saturday around 2PM or something would be most excellent. If that isn't possible, a taxicab is a possibility too if enough people end up coming (8+?) to make it worthwhile. Nothing I like better than meeting fellow audio addicts and auditioning high end stuff I'll probably never buy but love to say I've heard.
600smile.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 120
I don't know the bus numbers but there's a mini-depot that's probably 200 yards (if that) from where I live. Obviously, it's here to service the Microsofties. I'll have to check it out.

We'll have to see what other people want in terms of day/time.

I know PPL and binary_digit are coming up from Maple Valley so you might be able to hitch a ride with them.

There's nothing wrong with the Thorens and the AT cartridge.

I have a VPI Aries 2 with VPI JMW-10.5 and Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood. It's a pretty nice table although I need a better cartridge.

Aug 12, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 120
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
I don't know the bus numbers but there's a mini-depot that's probably 200 yards (if that) from where I live. Obviously, it's here to service the Microsofties. I'll have to check it out.

We'll have to see what other people want in terms of day/time.

I know PPL and binary_digit are coming up from Maple Valley so you might be able to hitch a ride with them.

There's nothing wrong with the Thorens and the AT cartridge.

I have a VPI Aries 2 with VPI JMW-10.5 and Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood. It's a pretty nice table although I need a better cartridge.

Thank, I'll keep an eye on this thread (could you drop me a PM if something is decided and it doesn't get posted here? Only if you remember...).

I'm actually pretty happy with the TD160/TP-16MkI/AT440ML combination (it's a compliance mismatch, but SQ is really nice). The 440ML has to be one of the biggest cartridge bargains around under $500 or so (the only other contender I'm aware of is the Shure V15VxMR, and only if one likes the 'Shure sound'). Well, maybe the Ortofon X5-MC...
tongue.gif

Anyway, looking forward to it, if I can make it. I'll be out of town about a week visiting my parents in Ohio early September, but hopefully this will happen in the next 2 weeks if it's going to.

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 120
Hmm.. I'd like to make it... set a time and day and I'll try to.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, preferably not the weekends, since I'm all booked up..

Then again, I think I'd spend more time gawking at your bikes than listening to your gear
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 120
anytime sun-tues

weds-saturday -- anytime after 3pm

ppl didnt post the one above this post - i was accidently logged in as him on his computer ...relogged in as me.... im pretty sure phil and larry are going thou ....i'll have to askem when...

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 120
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Hmm.. I'd like to make it... set a time and day and I'll try to.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, preferably not the weekends, since I'm all booked up..

Then again, I think I'd spend more time gawking at your bikes than listening to your gear
wink.gif

Okay folks, how does Wednesday or Thursday sound? Since I'm not gainfully employed, I can start at any time but I would say 7 pm would be when I would expect people to start arriving. It will help cut down on traffic headaches. People are welcome to come earlier but please let me know so I know to expect you (and to hide my ****.)

I only have 3 bikes down here so you can't gawk for that long.
tongue.gif
But you are welcome to take the C40 for a spin since it should still be light out. I will require your Melos SHA-1 and Grado HP-2 as a security deposit in case you decide that you like the C40 better than your headphone setup.
wink.gif

Of course, since the purpose of this mini-meet is for PPL and binary_digit to listen to my turntable, they obviously have to be able to make it on one of those days/nights.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 120
from another thread...

Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
In the other thread (in the Meetings Forum), I suggested Wednesday or Thursday. I wasn't sure Friday was available since you go out of town for the weekends.

Are you travelling somewhere besides Vancouver? (Sounds like it.)

actually, I just found out that I'm only available thursday next week (various late company events). I thought I could swing by on friday too, but I'll have to be at work till at least 6pm that day.

on 23nd I'm moving back to vancouver and I don't know when/if I'll be staying in seattle again.

can anybody give me a ride to and from the meet?

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 120
I'll check with PPL and binary_digit to see if Thursday is good for them. Everyone else seems to be fine with it so I think we should shoot for that night.

Roughly, where are you at? I'm not working so I can theoretically pick people up but that will depend on when people plan on dropping by. I don't want to be out when someone arrives.

Aug 13, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 120
Thursday's fine if I can get a bus, though I won't be able to bring the KGSS (or HE90s - no way I'm taking those on the bus) unless I can get a ride or it's in the evening and can get my parents to bring me...

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 120
this thursday or next ?

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #13 of 120
Next Thursday. zzz can't make it until next week and there is NO way in hell that I can clean this place up in 2 days.

I haven't heard from PPL and binary_digit so it's better until next week. I think vwap is better with next week as well.

xtreme: do you have a car to get here? I'm not sure where zzz is coming in from. Depending on where and when, we need to do some coordinating. I might have someone coming in from Seattle so he could probably pick up anyone on that side of the lake.

Eric: Time is kind of nebulous at the moment since I don't know about those two. I'm fine with starting earlier but my guess is we're talking about 7 pm. I'm close enough to you that I can just swing by if you want to come over earlier. It'll give you a chance to listen to the turntable uninterrupted.

Jascha Heifetz on vinyl. Life does not get much better.

Aug 13, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #14 of 120
zzz's in downtown Seattle, right around the Science Center.

Wilson - that would be Schweeeeet. I'll bring over some hard microwave coax and some RCA plugs (if I can find any to fit the thick coax) and we can see how it stacks up to Transparent in terms of interconnect material. (or speaker cable- it's supposedly quite good for that)

Aug 13, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 120
I could probably get there via Metro around 7PM, but would need a ride home (or at least closer to home... I'm guessing that probably wouldn't be a problem once I got there). Did you ever find out the bus numbers that stop by where you live? Or, if you could PM me your address...

TIA...
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I recently picked up "The Carpenters - Voice of the Heart" (last LP before Karen died). Hearing her sing "Ordinary Fool" thru a good pair of cans is like listening to God lamenting the human condition... the usual A&M 'echo chamber' only amplifies the effect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back