1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Another recommendation for a newbie.

First

Back
  1. godriah24
    Ok, so I tried the DT990s.  To me they sounded fantastic.  Like I previously mentioned, I have nothing to compare them too so I didn't buy them right off.  I listened to Spotify via an external amp.  I tested tracks from, Dire Straits, Norah Jones, YES, James Blake, System of a Down, Damien Rice, Frank Zappa.....So a good range of music. The only thing I kind of didn't like was how forward Norah Jones' vocals sounded.  MIght have been the recording though, or that the phones were new out of the box.  Either way, I really enjoyed them.  But again, I'm not really going to be listening to that much digital music through them, so I guess it's hard to say how different they would sound when listening to vinyl. I've been reading extensively on the Grado appreciation thread, but up to page 150 I haven't come across anyone who has mentioned the sound of the Grado's whilst listening to vinyl. I know the sound is going to vary drastically depending on the rest of the equipment, but still.....I think I'm going to go for the SR80e and if I don't like them, I can always sell them on for a small loss.

2. Rearwing

I have a pair of Grado's as well as the AKG's, out of the two I prefer the AKG's with vinyl. But, as you say, it really does depend on what else is in the chain. 

Whatever you buy, I hope that you enjoy the music.

3. godriah24
    I actually got some SR80e's for cheaper than the 60'S so ended up going for them. Still not fully burned in bur sound very good already with vinyl and digital. A bit bright. Which I was prepared for, buy not overly. I've also picked up a Project Head Box mkii which I'm not impressed with at all and a pair of Yamaha HPH-500 which I haven't listened to yet, anybody have experience with these?

First

Back