Another Mystery Headphone... Manta 7000
Jul 11, 2011 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
I found these headphones in a fleamarket and only bought them out of curiosity and their superb condition.
I scoured the interwebs for any information on them, and came up with basically nothing; not even on these forums.

I found one link and one link only on these phones, to a set currently being sold on 'fleabay' describing it as "high-end" from 1974. 

When I first plugged them into my computer for a good 'audition' they had very mild details, subtle bass, but quite a fair amount of mids, dynamics and presentation.
After trying out a variety of genres I found that only jazz sounds excellent on these. Then after a while fiddling with EQ I was amazed at what kind of sound they produce. 
(Just for comparison reference, I've also got AKG K141 (original), Sennheiser HD450, some old cheap Technics RP-F200 and Grado SR60i (mesh grill mod, vented, +L-Cushion and cable mod))
Compared to all of these, I'd say they have the 2nd most exciting sound next to the Grados. They have a deep warmth in the mids, and a bass that doesn't kick like the Grados, but kinda rumbles with authority, which the Grado doesn't do. Also the bass has a certain quality that simply doesn't exist in the Senns or Technics, probably as these are 'consumer' grade phones.
Highs are very subtle, probably due to the age and available technology at the time, but the EQ pushed way up reveals that these drivers CAN handle being pushed hard and produce relatively crispy details. 
Normally I wouldn't have bothered writing this up, but the sound these things make is a bit too serious to not find out more.

So, is there anyone here who knows ANYTHING about these headphones? Anything at all? 
Written on the volume knobs on both cans is

MANTA 
STEREO KOPFHÖRER
JAPAN

so clearly they were intended for the German market.
Here are some photos. (sorry if they're too big)

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 25
Actually it's not wood, but plastic. The pads are all artificial leather too, but it is rather well made and very pretty :)
I don't mind you asking, I paid 10 euros... haggled it down from 15.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 25
They just look like knock off of Koss Pro-4a's

But then again, they look like the classic Japanese styling for studio cans.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 25
Scroll a bit down. Ok, it is only a M 6000, but the M 7000 looks very identical.
On the other hand, there are a lot of similarities with pioneer headphones, like SE 50.
Could be an OEM branded headphone.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 25
pretty sure there's a model of the Prinzsound headphones that also have that particular inside the cup chrome bit. I remember it for being so odd. You scored a classy looking set there. Probably weighs a ton?

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 25
Based on your pictures, I am now a fan of these headphones.  The fact that they came with a zipper case makes me like them more.  I've seen a few faux wood finishes on old cans, but this might be the, um, classiest.  I think I'm just tacky.

You think I'd know better, having dealt with the issues of musty headphones, glued drivers, deflated pads, and hollow sound that plague most vintage cans, but what can I say.  I really like stuff like this.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 25
@Neighbour - wow, it is uncannily similar to the Pinoeer SE50; I should have seen that before :p
@nick n - yup, these are the heaviest headphones I've got... not exactly a ton but you don't even notice because they literally clamp onto your head.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 25
Awww it's not wood but plastic. Boo... I never got faux-wood. Wait, that sounds dubious. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 25
pure looks, this one's well worth 10 euros!!!
they look amazing!!!

ps:  Thank me later

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-CALRAD-STEREO-HEADPHONES-15-114-8-OHM-BOX-/120746068114?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c1d06c892

Found this 'calrad' headphone that looks identical to this manta 7000. Too bad the shipping doesnt warrant a purchase from Australia. Perhaps someone from the states might

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 25
Jul 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 25
Holy crap...these old phones threads are making me itch.  I'm itching so bad right now I feel like spending the money on that ebay Calrads.  On second thought...I don't have $50.  :frowning2:  Though the only thing I have in the house that could drive one of these is my dad's receiver in the cabinet.

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 25
O.o  You may find this interesting: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Other/auction-157906819.htm

A old auction for a pair of vintage Mantas, also circa '76.  I'm also scouring the net for this Manta brand name hoping I could find more info.  So far I'm turning up nothing.

Edit 1:

Here's another: http://cgi.ebay.de/MANTA-4000-STEREO-KOPFHORER-MIKRO-ELIKOPTERHORER-/120717967735

Users who are viewing this thread

Back