Another gaming headset thread
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hello20

New Head-Fier
The HardOCP people said this was the place to go to ask for help choosing a good gaming headset.

So, the criteria:
$0-$150 max price range. If an amp is needed that headphone + amp needs to be no more than $160.

Closed headset. I sit right next to the tv that my wife is usually watching. Washing machine isn't terribly far away either, so I'd like something that can drain out the noise

85% gaming / 14% movies / 1% music: I'll use these almost exclusively for gaming. I play everything from FPS to RPGs to RTS to puzzle. I very rarely do multiplayer online so super-positional awareness is not a huge concern, although hearing enemies in single player games like Black Ops and Splinter Cell: Conviction and DeadSpace is a big plus. All games have music, so music quality can't suck.  I watch mostly streaming content for movies, like Netflix, and youtube, so I'm not sure how audio fidelity is on those sites, but I'd like nice clarity across the sound spectrum for movies.

The main thing I'm leery of is good bass response. I've tried Logitech G35, Creative Soundblaster Tactic Alpha, Corsair HS1 and steelseries 7H headphones. I wasn't overly impressed with any of these, but if anyone has knowledge of the G35 or 7H then this is the type of bass response I'd like. I really like the 7H, but they kind of muddle the mids and highs when I watch movies and at $140 I figure they're a bit inflated since they're "gaming" headphones.

I've read that the ATH-A700 are lacking the the bass department, so the ATH-M50s caught my attention. Everyone has an opinion and the marketing hype doesn't help so I'm imploring you good people for some guidance.

$150-$160 max price tag. This includes any tax or shipping
Closed cans used almost exclusively for gaming
Good, deep bass, but not overwhelming to the point I can't hear other details. I don't want punching bass. If there is thunder in the game I don't want a deep punch and it's over. I want that reverb.  7H headsets meet this for comparison sake.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, don't get the ATH-M50 for gaming... the sound stage isn't so great, which for me is crucial for gaming.
That is all.. I am not in the position to tell you what gaming headset you should get because there are lots, so I will just stay quiet now =]

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 9

[size=medium]
 I was just gaming with my M50s and my AD700s (open version of the A700s.) M50s will give you that boom when a grenade goes off near you, and they isolate very well.  Since you won't be listening to music, they should be fine as nicer headphones won't show that much improvement in gaming.  Basically the A700s will have slightly better positioning, given their size, but the M50s shoulder have that better bass response you were looking for.  I haven't heard the A700s, but the M50s are fairly balanced and don't suffer from bloated bass drowning out other details.

I would also try listening to some music on the M50's  if you decide to get them, they sound amazing 
biggrin.gif

[/size]

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 9
My favorite closed headphones for gaming is the Koss Pro DJ 100. Seriously, who would have thought a headphone labeled as being for DJ's could be so good for gaming?
It has a lot of detail, a non-fatiguing signature, a decent amount of bass (close to bass heavy, but still well balanced) and slightly forward sounding mids. For being closed, it has one of the best soundstages in a closed headphone I've tried yet. Not as good as the D2000 soundstage though, but that headphones leaks sound badly.

For gaming I actually preferred my DJ100 over my AKG K601 (and K702!). The detail is much more forward. Even if you don't play competitively online, it's worth pointing out that they have very good imaging. Playing Bioshock 2 on them was quite the experience.

I still feel though that for movies, an open headphone is really needed. Most closed headphones are just not very good for movies unfortunately.

For people that don't mind SOME sound leakage, the K240 Studio as a semi-open headphone isn't too bad. I still feel the DJ100 has a better soundstage despite being closed!

BTW they're only $80! I actually find that the KRK KNS-8400 would be a good gaming headphone where a closed one is required. I'm not suggesting them though since they're quite bass light or close.

Anyone tried te AKG K271 for gaming? That might be interesting to try out! I think i'll try out my new K240 Sextett LP tonight for gaming. That'll be..interesting to say the least.

Another headphone to look into might be the Sony MDR-V6. I figure the level of detail of the DJ100 is pretty close, if not better. I've heard of a few using the MDR-V6 for gaming, but it might be good.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 9
HD558 or HD598 sounds good for you (558 is probably much more cost efficient since there is not a spectacular difference between the two).  Mad Lust Envy made a review of gaming headphones, and rates them among the top for gaming.  I think he said to stay away from M50s for FPSes and such.  I can tell you myself that they have some ridiculously good soundstaging and are generally very capable cans.  I love them for music.

They have a very balanced and tight bass response that is not overpowering but very certainly present when needed.  They can rumble, they can punch, and they can sit subdued in the background.  I think if you are transitioning from gaming company headphones you will be very pleasantly surprised at the detail retrieval and the balanced, realistic response overall.  They are certainly very immersive when music is playing in-game.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 9
I would have suggest those too, but he's looking for a closed headphone. Very few closed headphones are good for gaming it seems.

Quote:
HD558 or HD598 sounds good for you (558 is probably much more cost efficient since there is not a spectacular difference between the two). 

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 9
oops, sorry.  First thing that comes to mind is the FA-003s. I wonder if any gamers have used those since they say they have an open can sound and soundstage...
They are $169 plus shipping, however.  Up to you whether you want to take that gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back