Annual NHL Play-off thread.
Jun 6, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #196 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
!!!! Lots of double standards in the NHL. And the notion that a hit is determined to be legal or not after the fact based on whether the player sustains some injury is ludicrous.

Thats my point, Colin went on radio here in So. Cal yesterday and said Pronger was suspended not because of the hit, but because of the result. Then you look at a league like the NBA that says you throw a punch you're suspended regardless of the result. My problem is all these cats calling Pronger a goon, in a league that has roster players referred to as "Enforcers". Then Hull goes on tv yesterday and complains about a lack of fighting in today's league. Face it thats your league, you can't tell these players that its ok to knock each other around for 60 minutes, but please don't hurt each other.

Plus I'm tired of these suspensions, fine the hell out of them if you want, but let them decide on the field of play.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #197 of 218
On TSN I read the article about how Alfredsson's "shot" could have sparked the Duck's into their win....sad.

But the MOST interesting thing was the rash of posted comments calling DA classless and raking hoim heavily through the coals. And not all were Leafs' fans
tongue.gif

I was actually pretty neutral about who I wanted to win, until that shot. Now I hope the Ducks finish them off in Anaheim in game 5.

Pronger is definitely wrong, and obviously didn't learn from his suspension in the Detroit series; maybe a 2-game suspension could have been called for this time. But he's a physical player and faces the other players pretty much face to face. The Alfredsson shot was a whiner/coward move. Based on the replays I saw, it definitely didn't look so much like an "accident"

Agree or disagree, just my opinion. But I have to say, watching the series leading up to this match-up has been really great. It'll be years before my hometown Bruins get this good (if EVER in my lifetime!), but as a hockey fan I'm liking this a lot. The only real complaint I have is one noted above, regarding the inconsistency of ref calls.

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #198 of 218
Congrats to the Ducks. And to my favorite player Teemu Selanne.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #201 of 218
Man, nothing brings me more joy than to see those sens choke again. I love how each year they truly believe they will win the cup. Back when they get ripped by our Leafs 4 years in a row they finally got rid of LaLAME and that loser coach Jacques Martin. Now for the past two seasons everybody in Ottawa are saying this is it, this is it. New goaltenders (Hasek, then Emery), new coach, bring in Heatley - but more important because for the 1st time they dont have to face the Leafs... yet still they choke. I have never seen a sports team that dominates so much in the regular season then just fails so consistently in the playoffs. It's truly classic!

It is time for the Sens to rebuild from scratch. Start with that sorry excuse of a captain Alfredsson and work their way down to the most overrated defensemen Redden.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #202 of 218
I'm sorry Ottawa didn't put up a better fight, but the Ducks played an amazing series. Good for Selanne! I hope he keeps playing!

Edit: Forsberg, you're a tool.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #203 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, nothing brings me more joy than to see those sens choke again. I love how each year they truly believe they will win the cup. Back when they get ripped by our Leafs 4 years in a row they finally got rid of LaLAME and that loser coach Jacques Martin. Now for the past two seasons everybody in Ottawa are saying this is it, this is it. New goaltenders (Hasek, then Emery), new coach, bring in Heatley - but more important because for the 1st time they dont have to face the Leafs... yet still they choke. I have never seen a sports team that dominates so much in the regular season then just fails so consistently in the playoffs. It's truly classic!

It is time for the Sens to rebuild from scratch. Start with that sorry excuse of a captain Alfredsson and work their way down to the most overrated defensemen Redden.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

As strong as the Sens looked leading to the finals I'm shocked they were swept.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #204 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

As strong as the Sens looked leading to the finals I'm shocked they were swept.

They weren't swept. Anyway Forsberg, I don't think they choked at all...they played well up to the final and were beat by a better team. Leafs fans can be so petty some times...

Leafs fans are worse for believing that "this will be their year..."

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #205 of 218
I'm glad this series is finally over... it was disappointing to say the least. Ottawa played nothing like they did during the past 2 months and didn't put up any kind of fight whatsoever. Emery was also pretty awful for a game this important, even though luck wasn't exactly on his side today. Ducks clearly deserved the Cup as they were far and away the best team this year. It was also great to see Teemu finally getting a chance to lift up the Cup, I wept like a little girl seeing him so emotional, and I'm not even that big a fan of his.

Anyway, to next year.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #206 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They weren't swept.

You are correct sir. Can 't believe I wrote that. I watched every game.

Still shocked they went down in five after looking so strong.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #207 of 218
After coming back to watch some NHL hockey after a 10+ year hiatus,I am shocked that these are supposed to be the best the NHL had to offer !?!

Sloppy passing,horrible ref calls,tons of stuff that should have been called
and yet was ignored or only called 25% of the time at best.If this
is the pinnacle of professional hockey,I think I was right to stop watching
back in 94.This 'game' really has gone downhill,and I was sooo sure it could
not get any worse.I was incredibly wrong.It was like all through the last two
series the Sens had no coaching what so ever,and were just going through
the motions.Even Saturdays game was a mess.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #208 of 218
Yep. The better team won. Ottawa just could not deal with their size. They lost too many battles for the puck, and too many face offs in their own end to win. Don't even get me started on weak give aways, stupid penalties and atrocious goal tending.

I think this game was badly coached FWIW. Their strategy tonight was dump and chase when they can't win a battle for the puck to save their souls? Not good. Emery should not have started tonight. I would have gone to Gerber at the end of the last series.

Anyhow, on to next year...I agree that Redden should go. Meszaros too. I never liked him.

I hate Emery's guts. I think he is one of the worst goalies, if not THE worst goalie, in the league.

Alfredsson is a great player and a good captain. He had an amazing post season. Conn Smythe winner for sure if Ottawa took the cup. Sure, it was marred by the shooting the puck at Niedermyer debacle, but that does not detract from his accomplishments.

I agree with homeless, they did not choke. The better team won...the sad truth
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #209 of 218
Hey, seeing the sens fail is the next best thing to leafs winning the cup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Leafs fans are worse for believing that "this will be their year..."

What do you mean? The leafs will be cup winners in '08. The last two years were just a part of the big plan that's all.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #210 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never seen a sports team that dominates so much in the regular season then just fails so consistently in the playoffs. It's truly classic!

You've obviously never heard of the Atlanta Braves.

As far as only calling 25% of calls and penalties, I believe thats whats called playoff sports. Nothing ticks me off more than having the refs or umps decide games. How do you know the officials did their job? When at the end of the day you're not talking about them. Damn you Doug Eddings. As far as I'm concerned they did an adequate job, after all what were people talkingn about these stanley cup finals, Anaheim's dominance, Ottawa's awesome home ice and fans, Pronger's hit, and Alfredsson's "errant" puck. Good enough for me.

Anyways congrats to the Ducks, its like I've been saying for years, nothing says hockey like surf boards and cargo shorts. The best thing about this is that they beat the kings to the punch.

Congrats to Anaheim for winning the Cup, to Arizona for their second consecutive women's softball national championship, and to Trevor Hoffman on his 500th save. It's a good day for western region sports. Spurs in 7 to make it a southwestern sweep for the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back