Annonying cops!
Nov 6, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #31 of 76
I hate when cops try to lecture... I would have responded the same way. You should go watch Hot Fuzz to make yourself feel better about the imbeciles you just encountered.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just don't go to sleep tonight.
wink.gif

WOW. that is horrible. I hope at least..maybe they couldn't tell that the man was sleeping? Because come on...that is the last thing I'd expect to happen in my own home.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on whether they pulled him over before or after he stopped the engine of his car. If they pulled up as he was getting out of his car, it's another issue, especially if he is physically inside his garage.

Paved driveway is usually considered public property, a car in the open is subject to search without a warrant. Once the car is physically inside the housing structure, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

A car in the open is not subject to a search without a warrant. The "plain view" doctrine does allow a search that consists of looking into your car. But, to obtain access to the trunk, any compartments, or anywhere else not in plain view, the police must either a) get a warrant, b) get your permission, or c) arrest you and make the search incident to the arrest.

In any case, your driveway is not public property. It is most definitely private property, but whether it is private property that is "open to the public" or not may vary depending on state and situation. Moving the car from the driveway to the garage, or anywhere else, doesn't change things as far as a search goes. Nor does it have any effect on the legality of a speeding ticket. Lots of people get tickets long after their cars have been parked in their garages.

Either way, refusing to come out when they're trying to ticket you is still disobeying a lawful police order. Not to mention a bad idea in general.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A car in the open is not subject to a search without a warrant. The "plain view" doctrine does allow a search that consists of looking into your car. But, to obtain access to the trunk, any compartments, or anywhere else not in plain view, the police must either a) get a warrant, b) get your permission, or c) arrest you and make the search incident to the arrest.

In any case, your driveway is not public property. It is most definitely private property, but whether it is private property that is "open to the public" or not may vary depending on state and situation. Moving the car from the driveway to the garage, or anywhere else, doesn't change things as far as a search goes. Nor does it have any effect on the legality of a speeding ticket. Lots of people get tickets long after their cars have been parked in their garages.

Either way, refusing to come out when they're trying to ticket you is still disobeying a lawful police order. Not to mention a bad idea in general.

I believe the compartments must be locked (and not with the car key). Most people carrying stuff in their vehicle they don't want seen that I know/hear of keep a lock box in the trunk.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #37 of 76
When you were in your house and the cops came knocking on your door.

Did you open the door ajar and talk to them through the crack in the door?

And they wanted you to come outside?

I wonder what would happen if you didn't answer the door, do you think the cops would have kicked your door open and arrest you.

I think you are lucky because I live in LA and some of the cops here are crazy. One time I was at a party and the cops showed up.
I started to leave the party and the cop ran up to me with a baton and whacked me in the back. I went there with my brother and I found out that the cop attacked him and pushed him on his back. My brother filled out a complaint form saying that the cop assaulted him for no apparent reason.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the compartments must be locked (and not with the car key). Most people carrying stuff in their vehicle they don't want seen that I know/hear of keep a lock box in the trunk.

Nope. No locked boxes necessary unless you're in the habit of opening your trunk and letting cops take a look. Unless the cops get consent from you, they can't do anything but look at what you allow them to see.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #39 of 76
Wayne while I totally understand your frustration with cops on a power trip. You live in a relatively small place and will undoubtably run into these guys again it may be better to lose the battle but win the war as they could begin to target you.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #40 of 76
If they wont get off your property , just call the cops
wink.gif

BTW, nice job for standing up for yourself.

I generally have good experience with the police but I once got pulled over for speeding and the road I was on was only one lane per side and had a lot of traffic on it..

So as I see him behind me with his lights on, I put my turn signal on and drive a little farther until I get to the near by parking lot, and the officer had the nerve to try to threaten me with a hit and run.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't see your point. Since when do police give "breaks", especially when someone is driving that much over the speed limit?

I was going 26 over once on my provisional license because I was disregarding my driving and trying to adjust the left sideview mirror. The officer took my word for it and instead wrote me a $50 non-moving violation ticket for obstructed view (hangtag). That officer will never know how thankful I am that he was gracious enough to waive what would have been a $250 ticket with 4 points on my license. Trust me, they can be gracious, but unfortunately, in a neighborhood situation like that, there's little you can do. They are there solely to make profit on the 25 MPH zone.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #42 of 76
I'm sorry but you broke the law and are complaining about the police doing their jobs? People always hate on the police because the majority of their encounters with them are not for good reasons.

There was no reason to be disrespectful to them and crumple the ticket up either. If they are on regular patrol in your neighborhood and something happened in your home (say a break in, or whatever) and you needed their help it'd be a different story wouldn't it...

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you break the law?

GAD

By speeding, yes. They gave me a ticket for that. By crumpling up the ticket and tossing onto the ground in my own yard, walking inside the house and then refusing to come back outside to give a false apology to them for hurting their feelings, no. That's why they got back into their car and drove away. They had nothing on me at all other than the speeding ticket which they had already dealt with.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is a good summary of the law in the US. I live in the Cayman Islands where pretty much anything goes when you get pulled over. If they want to arrest you because they don't like your attitude (i.e., no charges), they can feel free do so and will not be expected to have to explain themselves to a judge later on. It's pretty much the Wild West and it makes almost zero sense to fight any ticket here.

Quote:

You've got the facts wrong. They had already ticketed me and would have just driven away peacefully had I not crumpled up the ticket and tossed it down in my yard (which I've since recovered because I do need to pay it). They wanted me to come back outside to apologize to them. I wasn't about to do that after being lectured to like I was a child in my own driveway about all sorts of "what if" scenarios that had no connection to to the reality at hand (in terms of my actual driving).

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you were in your house and the cops came knocking on your door.

Did you open the door ajar and talk to them through the crack in the door?

No, I talked to them from the other side of the door. There is a fancy glass etching thingie on the upper half of the door so they could see me. I put both of my hands (palms open) directly on the glass and leaned my head right into the glass as well.

Quote:

And they wanted you to come outside?

Yes, but just to apologize. Our business with the ticket was done and I presented no threat to them. There was no other reason for them to be at my door. I told them I wasn't going to apologize and to please get off of my property. They had no right to be there once I told them to leave, and they knew it.

Quote:

I wonder what would happen if you didn't answer the door, do you think the cops would have kicked your door open and arrest you.

If they wanted to lose their jobs, maybe. They would have had no reason to kick in my door. I posed no threat to them at all. After they handed me my ticket, they had no other business with me. I didn't speak a word, just crumpled it up and tossed it on the ground, turned and walked away.

Quote:

I think you are lucky because I live in LA and some of the cops here are crazy. One time I was at a party and the cops showed up.
I started to leave the party and the cop ran up to me with a baton and whacked me in the back. I went there with my brother and I found out that the cop attacked him and pushed him on his back. My brother filled out a complaint form saying that the cop assaulted him for no apparent reason.

I don't live in LA for those sorts of reasons. This is a quiet, sleepy Island. Not much like that ever happens here, thank goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back