Annonying cops!
Nov 6, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then are all the big names like Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster, Dynomax etc etc all selling illegal products. What about the Harleys that are so F'in loud that the walls shake.Theres a muffler shop in every street here who sell after market exhausts and install them on all vehicles, shouldn't they all be put in jail???

The products in question are perfectly legal to make, sell, install, etc. What's often not legal is driving them on public roads. If you took a bit of time to read the fine print on your aftermarket exhaust's manual, you might see something like "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY". That should be a hint to not install said product on a car you intend to drive on public roads.

State laws vary, but for California, the requirements on any exhaust system must meet are a) CARB qualified catalytic converter b) < 95 dB when tested by SAE Standard J1169.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

I recently got pulled over and got a ticket because of a modified exhaust!!! Is there a law that says you cant have a modified exhaust system.

In most states, yes, in fact, there is a law that says you cannot modify it to be louder.

It's also illegal to give a blue tint to your car's lights. You don't see that one enforced much.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm reminded of a friend of mine, formerly of aurora CO.

Said he was driving along a back road one day when an aurora cruiser passed him the other way, so he just immediately pulled over before the cop even had a chance to turn on his lights and flip a u-turn. Which the cop did, of course.

He then opened his sunroof and raised his arms through it, wrists together. Before the cop even got out of his car.

Cop: That's not f'ing funny!

Mike: I'm just trying to be compliant, officer.

Cop: It's not f'ing necessary!

Mike: I think you're being belligerant, and I'd prefer to wait until your supervisor arrives.

He then closed the sunroof, rolled up the windows, locked the door, and waited patiently for the cop's supervisor.

Smart move on your friend's part. I used to live in Aurora several years ago and the Aurora PD has a somewhat "tainted" history. We moved outta there once we had kids...
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

I recently got pulled over and got a ticket because of a modified exhaust!!! Is there a law that says you cant have a modified exhaust system. I see Rice boys drive past several times every damn day with much louder exhausts. And what about higher end sports cars, and let me not even start talking about the Harleys.

Then are all the big names like Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster, Dynomax etc etc all selling illegal products. What about the Harleys that are so F'in loud that the walls shake.Theres a muffler shop in every street here who sell after market exhausts and install them on all vehicles, shouldn't they all be put in jail???

I dont F'in get it!!

The letter of the law on this is pretty hazy, especially since most don't think they actually have to prove that it is louder than stock. Then there's the question of how you measure it, at what distance blah blah blah.... Unfortunately though the general consensus seems to be that it is actually a rarely enforced law. I got pulled over for it once. When I gave the cop one of these
blink.gif
he actually pulled out his little new york state law book and read it to me. Or should I say misread...mispronouncing or just skipping every other word he didn't recognize. In the end he didn't ticket me. Just gave me a hard time for 20+ minutes.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Respect the men in uniform as it is a hard job.

Seems to me that there are some who do appropriate from their positions of authority a level of personal satisfaction from the feeling of power/control (that they perhaps do not experience in other areas of their lives) afforded to them by such positions that it causes them to engage in acts that are unnecessarily disempowering to others in the discharge of their duties. I really don't know to what extent such persons engaged in such acts should be respected.

Still, Wayne, while I certainly empathize with what you went through, I'm surprised you didn't take the higher road here. Not that I would have -- I'm far too hotheaded for that, but it does seem like you were being a little hotheaded yourself (though entirely in your power to do so) in response to their being jerks, which is unlike you.

Best,

-Jason

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #68 of 76
Every cop has an ego... If you do the wrong thing at the moment they can be easy to set off.

Sorry Wayne, you deserved the ticket, 42 in a 25 zone/residential area is unsafe. They have photo-cop trailers in my neighborhood and overall I am happy for it.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm....i've changed my mind. THIS is the coolest thread i've read in days, and Wayne, YOU are my new favorite head-fi member.

good for you for standing up to them.

Funny you should say that because now that I've had time to settle down and reflect on the matter, I realize that I was acting childishly and kind of regret it. I'm thinking about going into the police station tomorrow and asking for these 2 guys so that I can apologize to them.

In the end, they really were just doing their jobs. I still think the driver guy was overdoing his job but maybe I'd give lectures if I were a cop as well. I like giving lectures to my students but that's because I like teaching. It's not the same kind of ego thing that this guy went off on. What begged me the most is that he was treating me like a kid in my own property. My defenses went up immediately because this isn't somewhere that I'll allow anyone to violate me in any way.

It now (rather loosely) reminds me of a time when a friend of mine who was doing some work around the house (fix up stuff) got into this terribly heated argument with one of the guy's he had hired to help him. It was a personal matter and had nothing to do with the work they were doing for me. It started while I was out in the yard, and by the time I got into the house they were about to have each other's heads.

My reaction kind of surprised me. I picked up a hammer and threatened to bash in the head of the next guy who used foul language in my home, then once they realized I was serious, I ushered them out of the house where they continued to argue quite loudly. So I started screaming louder than either one of them, telling them to get out of my yard and far enough away that I won't be able to hear them. They could do or say anything they wanted to, put not on my property!

I'm not sure how strong the connection is, but I think that was the nub of it as far as I was concerned. I was being hassled on my own property. All I could think was, "Give me the ticket, shut up, and leave." I didn't say it quite like that (but close enough). They were in my space but yet acted just like they were anywhere else and gave zero respect to that aspect of the situation.

So I don't know. I'd like to apologize because it's what I think I ought to do (in some ways) as a man. It wouldn't be to put my tail between my legs and beg for anything. I'm not too worried about what they might be able to do to me, and am proud enough not to grovel no matter what. But I think the main reason I probably won't seek them out to apologize is that I still don't think I could do it without also wanting to make my point about them not respecting me on my property.

You can't really go in and say, "I'm sorry. I was wrong but so were you." Not to these kinds of guys anyway. They would accept an a@@ kissing apology (which I won't give) but not one that in any way held back or even hinted at the possibility that they might have been partially to blame.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #71 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every cop has an ego... If you do the wrong thing at the moment they can be easy to set off.

Sorry Wayne, you deserved the ticket, 42 in a 25 zone/residential area is unsafe. They have photo-cop trailers in my neighborhood and overall I am happy for it.

It's not really residential as such. This particular piece of road is quite 'country' actually. It's right where the road opens up rather wide and becomes very straight (a rare thing in Cayman since most roads are narrow and twisty). The turnoff of my street was far ahead of where I was caught speeding (another tenth of a mile) and you can only turn one way there (no cross traffic). But still, 25 is the speed limit, right or wrong.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny you should say that because now that I've had time to settle down and reflect on the matter, I realize that I was acting childishly and kind of regret it. I'm thinking about going into the police station tomorrow and asking for these 2 guys so that I can apologize to them.

In the end, they really were just doing their jobs. I still think the driver guy was overdoing his job but maybe I'd give lectures if I were a cop as well. I like giving lectures to my students but that's because I like teaching. It's not the same kind of ego thing that this guy went off on. What begged me the most is that he was treating me like a kid in my own property. My defenses went up immediately because this isn't somewhere that I'll allow anyone to violate me in any way.

It now (rather loosely) reminds me of a time when a friend of mine who was doing some work around the house (fix up stuff) got into this terribly heated argument with one of the guy's he had hired to help him. It was a personal matter and had nothing to do with the work they were doing for me. It started while I was out in the yard, and by the time I got into the house they were about to have each other's heads.

My reaction kind of surprised me. I picked up a hammer and threatened to bash in the head of the next guy who used foul language in my home, then once they realized I was serious, I ushered them out of the house where they continued to argue quite loudly. So I started screaming louder than either one of them, telling them to get out of my yard and far enough away that I won't be able to hear them. They could do or say anything they wanted to, put not on my property!

I'm not sure how strong the connection is, but I think that was the nub of it as far as I was concerned. I was being hassled on my own property. All I could think was, "Give me the ticket, shut up, and leave." I didn't say it quite like that (but close enough). They were in my space but yet acted just like they were anywhere else and gave zero respect to that aspect of the situation.

So I don't know. I'd like to apologize because it's what I think I ought to do (in some ways) as a man. It wouldn't be to put my tail between my legs and beg for anything. I'm not too worried about what they might be able to do to me, and am proud enough not to grovel no matter what. But I think the main reason I probably won't seek them out to apologize is that I still don't think I could do it without also wanting to make my point about them not respecting me on my property.

You can't really go in and say, "I'm sorry. I was wrong but so were you." Not to these kinds of guys anyway. They would accept an a@@ kissing apology (which I won't give) but not one that in any way held back or even hinted at the possibility that they might have been partially to blame.

Wayne I'm with you here. I know that the real issue is being lectured to like a child. I've been in that exact situation, and when I'm twice the age of the officer it's a little peaving to say the least.

I'm glad to see that after you've given it some thought you have a different view point. The last thing you want are these two cops having a vendetta for you.

Way back in the early 90's I was driving for DHL in the heart of the shopping district in San Francisco. I was a new driver on a 30 day probation period like all new drivers, and any infraction would likely mean loss of the job.
I came out of an office building one day to find my van being lifted by a tow truck. I had only been inside a few minutes, but I had double parked which in Union Square was an absolute necessity.

Meter attendants are treated horribly in that city, and the one writing me a ticket was deaf to every word I was saying as I pleaded for a little compassion. Finally when I thought it was hopeless and my job was gone, she turned to me with a really mean look and said that if she ever saw me double parked again it would be the end of it. Then she had the tow truck driver lower my van.

The next day on my route I had a few minutes and stopped by a very popular bakery. I bought a dozen really yummy looking cookies, and started looking for the meter attendant. I found her soon enough, and when I gave her the cookies and told her how greatful I was she looked absolutely stunned.

She told me that as long as I hurried that she wouldn't bother me for double parking, and that she was just trying to do her job.

I'd wave every time I saw her after that, and she always smiled.

You don't have to grovel at all. Just say that while you still think some of your points are valid you realize that they're doing their job, and that they believe their points to be valid too. Just leave it there and don't retrace any ground. You might be surprized at their reaction. Everyone likes a little validation.

Buy some cookies Wayne, apologize to the officers and make your life a whole lot easier. It'll save you a lot of grief, and may even end up being beneficial.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #74 of 76
If you apologize, exercise extreme caution. When they sense submission of any kind, they may attempt to drudge up the experience and cause you to lose your cool. That would not be a good thing, lol.

DON'T TAZE ME, BRO!

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #75 of 76
The ticket has done all the talking. The way I see it is that cops have 2 options when they pull you over for speeding.

1.Give you a ticket for the full amount. At this point you as the driver are pissed and probably not listening to anything they have to say anyways, especially a lecture on speeding. Chances are you've already made up your mind about whether speeding is wrong or not. Similar to your parents grounding you and then proceeding to yell at you for a few more hours. You already know what you've done is wrong and they're only adding insult to injury. Instead of thinking "oh I really learned my lesson" you're more likely to think "wow this A-hole is REALLY rubbing it in and getting on my nerves" Instead of being convinced that what you did is wrong, you're probably just going to think of more effective ways to not get caught next time.

2.cut you a break by ticketing you for a lower speed, or giving you a warning. A lecture at this point would more likely be heard in earnest by the speeder. You've cut me a break and you're being nice to me, so why wouldn't I listen to what you have to say?

The cop was just stroking his own ego, simple as that. Do you think you can teach a grown man to change his ways by humiliating him and yelling at him like a small child? Get real. Wayne, the only lesson this cop has taught you is keep your eye open for cops in your neighbourhood, am I right?

All my speeding tickets have been photoradar. They don't convince me to slow down, they convince me to buy a photoradar detector. I drive according to realistic road conditions, and I believe speeding tickets are nothing but a cash cow for the police dept. Speeding tickets have been around for ages, but have they stopped people from speeding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back