Annonying cops!
Nov 6, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are there solely to make profit on the 25 MPH zone.

Exactly. More power to them, somebody has to do thier jobs. Glad it's not me. I deserved the ticket. I didn't deserve the nonending lecture. I tried to tell them this much but they wouldn't let me talk. So after they settled down and got back in their car, I crumpled up the ticket in silent protest. Then when they came to the door and asked me why I did that, I got my chance to tell them. But they still wouldn't listen and insisted on being bullies and having me go outside to give them an apology. When they realized that wasn't going to happen and that they had no leg to stand on, they left.

Will they now target me? Who knows. If so, that's life. Whatever they might try to do to me now, I know that I'd suffer a lot worse if I just stood there and allowed them to treat me like a child in my own yard. YMMV.

That's just me. I'm prepared to accept those consequences. I've got their names and badge numbers and I've written down the entire episode for future reference in case I need it to defend myself. I didn't do a single thing (other than speeding) that I wasn't completely within my rights to do, so I can go to bed tonight without a worry on my mind. No way am I going to let it bother me.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but you broke the law and are complaining about the police doing their jobs? People always hate on the police because the majority of their encounters with them are not for good reasons.

There was no reason to be disrespectful to them and crumple the ticket up either. If they are on regular patrol in your neighborhood and something happened in your home (say a break in, or whatever) and you needed their help it'd be a different story wouldn't it...

Guess you had to be there. You give them respect by handing them your license, and allowing them to write you a ticket that you deserve. In the process, they go on and on for more than 10 minutes about what a terrible thing that you've done, while you're standing there not saying a word? In your own yard? Why do they insist on doing this and then wonder why you don't give them respect? I don't hate on police. Quite the contrary. Some good friends over the years have been police officers.

Yes, I was speeding. They showed me the big red 42 on their radar, so I handed them my license and let them write the ticket. But the guy writes the ticket and keeps holding on to it as he goes through this endless blabber about all sorts of nonsense that had nothing to do with me whatsover. You would have thought I had robbed a bank and raped the tellers while doing so.

Anyway, it's done now. Sorry if you think that every person in the world should stand there and let these guys go on and on about whatever they want to rant about simply because they have a badge that gives them the authority to get up on their soap boxes unnecessarily. Had it been the usual 2 or 3 throw away lines that you typically get (you know, "You need to slow down" etc), then fine. That's all part of doing their jobs.

But how long can you smile and nod along when they start lecturing you about how many people have been killed on the roads this year "from speeding" (never mind that they were 18 years old, drunk, and driving 110 miles per hour at 3am), or if I were to have a tire blow out and lose control of my car, hit a tree, and end up with severe head injuries, or if a young child ran out on the road in front of me, or if there were people walking or jogging on the road, or if there was a car coming the other way and overtaking another car (ya right, like they would do this as you're sitting there clocking their speed), how I probably couldn't hear the horn of another car while driving at that speed since my top was down. All of this (and more) after he has written the ticket and is holding it in his hands so that you become his hostage in your own yard? None of it having a thing to do with me, all of it having to do with him flexing his authority muscles. Honestly, I had hardly said a word before he started into his rant. When I tell you that this man went on and on, I'm not kidding you.

But I guess I should take all of that like a good little boy because they're just doing their jobs. When they're just doing their jobs, I do have great respect for them. No way would I want to do their jobs. Too much risk and not enough reward for me, so they do deserve respect. At least until they have totally disrespected me.

But it's over. I think I should just tune out of this thread now. Not that everyone (or anyone really) needs to agree with me, but IMO there comes a point where the lecture becomes harrassment.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #48 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad someone understands! Again, I'm not saying it's rational, but there's something about getting a ticket in your own neighborhood, and especially just seconds from your house, that just doesn't settle right. It feels like a terrible invasion whereas if you were to get a ticket for the same thing in unfamiliar territory you would tend to feel much more guilty and contrite.

But getting a ticket for 30 in a 25 anywhere is just ridiculous!

Try a ticket for going 70 on the interstate with speed limit of 65. I mean, What? All I said was "I was speeding a bit" when the cop asked me if I know what he pulled me over for.

Then again I got off with warnings 3 times in a row for speeding anywhere from 15 to almost 25 over in a span of about a week during my roadtrip this past summer.
confused.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Will they now target me? Who knows. If so, that's life. Whatever they might try to do to me now, I know that I'd suffer a lot worse if I just stood there and allowed them to treat me like a child in my own yard. YMMV.

at the end of the day, the only person you have to answer to is yourself. a lot of people don't get this, and they probably never will.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #50 of 76
Good on you for sticking up for your self and your beliefs. That takes guts, I probably would have taken it quietly, but then these kind of confrontations don't bother me so I have nothing to gain from it. It obviously bothers you to be treated like that. I think you did the right thing, for your self-respect.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #52 of 76
You know, I live on a 25mph street, and people seem to think it ought to be 40mph.

Thing is, aside from several houses, there's also an elementary school and a church.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

You've got the facts wrong. They had already ticketed me and would have just driven away peacefully had I not crumpled up the ticket and tossed it down in my yard (which I've since recovered because I do need to pay it). They wanted me to come back outside to apologize to them. I wasn't about to do that after being lectured to like I was a child in my own driveway about all sorts of "what if" scenarios that had no connection to to the reality at hand (in terms of my actual driving).

Sorry about that, wasn't intending that towards you. It was towards Edwood's suggestion of ducking in the garage and not coming out unless they got a warrant.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #55 of 76
You definitely are not obliged to listen to a condescending lecture especially since they already ticketed you (if they had cut you a break and then lectured you, then you would have had incentive to listen lol) but it's still ballsy talking back to them. If I was in your position I would probably have wanted to talk back but wouldn't have, the cops that are on powertrips are usually the least intelligent and reasonable they can find ways to hassle you if they really feel like it. Otoh I can no longer say I hate all cops/all cops are dicks, the last two times I got pulled over I was driving fast but I was respectful and the cops were respectful and I only got warnings.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have asked for their badge numbers when they refused to leave your property.

I did that, it pissed him more, demand my license & registration back and issued me a ticket
mad.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Otoh I can no longer say I hate all cops/all cops are dicks, the last two times I got pulled over I was driving fast but I was respectful and the cops were respectful and I only got warnings.

It's hard to be respectful when the first thing they do, instead of explaining why did they stop you, they yell at you without any provocation.

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about that, wasn't intending that towards you. It was towards Edwood's suggestion of ducking in the garage and not coming out unless they got a warrant.

Yup, that's just a bad thought all the way around here in the States. They saw you commit the offense on public property and they can follow you wherever you go to apprehend you. Think about it for a second, if there was a grain of truth in this you wouldn't see them chasing folks through back yards after a car chase without a warrant. If you want to give them a reason to take a look through your house and maybe tack on a fleeing charge go for it. It's not going to end pretty, I can tell you that much. This is an urban legend that really needs to die.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #58 of 76
Respect the men in uniform as it is a hard job.

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #59 of 76
I'm reminded of a friend of mine, formerly of aurora CO.

Said he was driving along a back road one day when an aurora cruiser passed him the other way, so he just immediately pulled over before the cop even had a chance to turn on his lights and flip a u-turn. Which the cop did, of course.

He then opened his sunroof and raised his arms through it, wrists together. Before the cop even got out of his car.

Cop: That's not f'ing funny!

Mike: I'm just trying to be compliant, officer.

Cop: It's not f'ing necessary!

Mike: I think you're being belligerant, and I'd prefer to wait until your supervisor arrives.

He then closed the sunroof, rolled up the windows, locked the door, and waited patiently for the cop's supervisor.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #60 of 76
I recently got pulled over and got a ticket because of a modified exhaust!!! Is there a law that says you cant have a modified exhaust system. I see Rice boys drive past several times every damn day with much louder exhausts. And what about higher end sports cars, and let me not even start talking about the Harleys.

Then are all the big names like Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster, Dynomax etc etc all selling illegal products. What about the Harleys that are so F'in loud that the walls shake.Theres a muffler shop in every street here who sell after market exhausts and install them on all vehicles, shouldn't they all be put in jail???

I dont F'in get it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back