android vs. iphone for sound quailty?
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #107 of 135

Quote:

I disagree with you. First, I don't know about the other galaxies but the galaxy s doesn't have pretty good audio hardware and sound - it has awesome audio hardware and sq. Second, their interface isn't terrible - I don't know what you've seen? Yeah, the poweramp isn't particularly beautiful but with voodoo even the stock player sounds awesome - and the stock player isn't the usual stock android player - it is the touchwiz one with coverflow-like animations in landscape and generally looks a lot like the iphone's one. Also, music playerpro has pretty nice interface and very handy and pretty lockscreen misic widget. Oh, and yeah, even the older iphones sound better than most androids but the galaxy s with voodoo blows all aiphones out of the water - just amazing stuff. Now my clip+  collects dust on my desk.

This is my experience. Add Galaxy tuner to the mix and my Galaxy S sounds amazing. I wouldn't give up my Captivate for an iPhone 4

May 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #109 of 135
May 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #110 of 135
I don't know about the iPhone4, but most of my friends' iPhone 3 I don't think compares to my HTC Thunderbolt at all.  Granted, yes, I have one of the newest HTC phones, but I'm pretty pleased with the quality of sound.

May 3, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #111 of 135
Ok, having used an iPod 2g, and iPhone 3gs with EQu, my wife's Samsung Fascinate and my Droid X, I am happy with my Droid X with Poweramp running Gingerbread leak. However there was some issues running Gingerbread as I almost went back to Froyo because the sound quality was harsh. You can run Poweramp and use the built-in sound to extend the audio. But it sounds like crap a bit. Re tweaking and it's fine.

I don't like Apple's sound quality out of the iPhone as much as the iPod. But my Droid X sounds better. My wife loves poweramp on her Fascinate but I don't want to root her phone. She has the white one and she loves it when she listens to her old school music with her white FC700's

May 6, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #112 of 135
I got hold of the Samsung Galaxy S 2 two days ago and I have to say this device is pretty phenomenal. Regarding the sound instrument separation is just as detailed as it was on the iPhone 4 but I think it has better bass extension and a wider sound stage. It drives my Westone 3s just as well as the iPhone 4 so no amp issues here.

The music player itself is actually very competent also - there's nothing I'm missing from the iPhone at the moment.

This is an early impression so take it as you will, i'll  update again in a couple of days...

May 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #116 of 135
Well, as I said it's for now it's out only in several countries and in 10-20 days should be out everywhere. A friend of mine got it from UK. I live in Bulgaria which is just below Romania and the operators said they've started receiving the shipments and in a week they should be selling it officially although I heard that some guys with friends working for the operators already got it. And also, economically Romania is better than my country and I guess you should be able to get the phone in less than 10 days.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #117 of 135
I have SGS with Voodoo for last couple of months. Would love to share my experience here:
  1. With Voodoo sound takes quantum leap from stock
  2. I am at 2.2 froyo and Voodoo control at the moment. It has good mid range, punchy with my Brainwavz M2 and better than most phones I have ever heard, still not as detailed as most reviews make me believe
  3. With control plus (I bought it few days back), sound quality deteriorated for me. Very muddy. So, i revoked superuser permission went back to free ver and it is much better
  4. Yesterday tried to compare iPhone 4 with my SGS, same song, Brainwavz M2 and Senn CX 400 as earphones. I dont like to admit but iPhone was much better than SGS - Bass, clarity, stereo effect (Most pronounced); I noticed some parts which I never thought were there. SGS was much louder for sure but over all I was a bit dissapointed with SGS.
  5. My questions to people in forum - is it my earphone? Am I doing anything wrong? I am in Darky's 9.5 with kernel having voodoo sound implementation.
  6. Can my SGS sound as good as iPhone 4? I had huge hopes before gettign SGS after reading views of people in XDA and here. Overall I would still buy SGS again, it beats iPhone every other parameter..but SQ is close to my heart!
Any answers are welcome!

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #118 of 135
What you're saying is pretty is pretty strange coz SGS is not better than most phones - it's better than all phones and DAPs I've heard. Recently there was a similar comment on xda but it turned out the user was using pirated version of the app and supercurio said that this could happen with badly cracked pirated versions or something (did you have any problems with mounting the voodoo module with the voodoo control plus app?). I've had the SGS since it came out (for almost a year) and the phone now is so superior in the audio department that it's insane and definitely better than what iphone 4 offers. And with the new hardware Bass boost voodoo has it's just amazing how much bass you can get without close to none sound deterioration. Right now I'm using it mainly with my altec lansing im716 and my phillips she9850 which are both single-driver armatures and both get plenty of detail (of course, the im716 picks amazingly more detail than my other headphones). Also, with sennheiser ie7 and phillips she9800 you can get amazing soundstage, so all the good sides of the different headphones shine with the SGS. I don't use any EQ aside from the bass boost but the Music Clarity effect in the stock player helps a lot for bringing details and widening the soundstage of headphones which have problems with that, of course if EQ is your thing poweramp is far superior. Also, isn't Darky 9.5 using much older version of the voodoo driver - like v6 or something when the current version is 9? I'm using Juwe's gingerbread 2.3.3 rom but I don't remember having any problems with voodoo sound on froyo 2.2 or 2.2.1. You've got to be doing something wrong or something is wrong with your phone or headphones

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #119 of 135

Quote:
What you're saying is pretty is pretty strange coz SGS is not better than most phones - it's better than all phones and DAPs I've heard. Recently there was a similar comment on xda but it turned out the user was using pirated version of the app and supercurio said that this could happen with badly cracked pirated versions or something (did you have any problems with mounting the voodoo module with the voodoo control plus app?). I've had the SGS since it came out (for almost a year) and the phone now is so superior in the audio department that it's insane and definitely better than what iphone 4 offers. And with the new hardware Bass boost voodoo has it's just amazing how much bass you can get without close to none sound deterioration. Right now I'm using it mainly with my altec lansing im716 and my phillips she9850 which are both single-driver armatures and both get plenty of detail (of course, the im716 picks amazingly more detail than my other headphones). Also, with sennheiser ie7 and phillips she9800 you can get amazing soundstage, so all the good sides of the different headphones shine with the SGS. I don't use any EQ aside from the bass boost but the Music Clarity effect in the stock player helps a lot for bringing details and widening the soundstage of headphones which have problems with that, of course if EQ is your thing poweramp is far superior. Also, isn't Darky 9.5 using much older version of the voodoo driver - like v6 or something when the current version is 9? I'm using Juwe's gingerbread 2.3.3 rom but I don't remember having any problems with voodoo sound on froyo 2.2 or 2.2.1. You've got to be doing something wrong or something is wrong with your phone or headphones

Thanks a lot for expalining in detail. Now my confidence is at least back on SGS. Definitely something wrong with the Voodoo has been set up on my phone. May be having Darky 9.5 with older version of voodoo driver and newest Voodoo control plus not being compatible.
Now this is high time for experimentation to bring the best out of my SGS. I will research abit more on XDA about another ROM which is devoid of Voodoo sound implementation then use my voodoo control plus. I hope if I have bought an app from market, I do not need to pay again for installation?? (Even though I wont mind paying another few $$$ to Supercurio). Man's genius!!

Just saw amazon is selling im716 for $60. Sounds a great bargain right??

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #120 of 135
Well, I've used a lot of kernels with older voodoo sound versions and never had issues with mounting the module from the control plus app, so maybe that's not the problem. And yeah, if you bought an app and didn't return it for a refund in the first 15 minutes you can always download it again without paying.  I got my im716 for 50 bucks and now it's like 40 in my country but yeah, it's always a bargain - still the most detailed iem I've heard below 150$. The problem is that it's very hard to drive - even with  voodoo's headphone amp set on max you won't be getting amazing sound levels and even though the sound will still be very detailed - the iem just won't reach its full potential. If you consider buying im716 you should take into consideration a couple of things - first, altec lansing cancelled that model, so not sure how the warranty works and second, you should consider buying a headphone amp if you don't have one. Also, im716 uses filters but you can get them from etymotic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back