Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,076 of 9,526

Vivo Xplay & SunRise DA-P1 USB DAC/amp:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=452989528133363&set=pb.368432713255712.-2207520000.1378667838.&type=3&theater

"Xplay external decoding good partner - SunRise DA-P1 linked through OTG connection. It sounds very good and significantly enhances the sound quality. Good sound choice to Android phones!"

Yep... but are we sure that the Signal is not down-sampled to 16/44 when coming through OTG ? ??

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,077 of 9,526
USB Audio Recorder PRO won’t down-sample to 16/44 thru OTG.

AudioQuest DragonFly LED:
. Green: 44.1k

. White: 96k

I have Neutron and Poweramp, but USB Audio Recorder PRO is currently my preferred playback software for 16/44.1 music as well as for hi-res music, because it can output a very natural sound.
For me, USB Audio Recorder PRO is the Audirvana of Android
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/players/4.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2475#post_9511388

Hopefully, like Audirvana, the USB Audio Recorder PRO team would also implement DSD over USB or DSD over PCM, i.e. put DSD audio data into PCM frames, which are then sent to a DSD DAC via the USB Audio soft driver at the Android user space.

The upcoming small Light Harmonic GEEK and Resonessence Labs Herus USB DAC/amp will support PCM and DoP (DSD over PCM).

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,078 of 9,526
  This might help. Mini MicroSD Reader. They are finally shipping to supporters (me!) and should be available for public. 

It would be perfect if it had also a Standard-A USB receptacle.

Android device > USB audio out >> Mini MicroSD Reader + Standard-A receptacle >> (Standard-A plug towards B plug) regular USB cable >> USB DAC

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #3,079 of 9,526
Are there any USB dacs out there at the moment that are compatible with android that are more for the bass head in terms of timbre/decay/bass extension. More towards 'minimal' electronic music with the heavy bass lines just lightly hanging around the background with authority but not dominance.

Found a cheap Apex Glacier on ebay too http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121171191460?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3,080 of 9,526
Sep 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #3,081 of 9,526

This particular ROM is a mod of Cyanogenmod, but regular Cyanogenmod 10.2 might work.  It does NOT work with other roms.  I tried that kernel with stock ROM and another custom ROM, didn't work.  I think it's that kernel + Cyanogenmod 10.2 that did the trick for Nexus 10.

I think the guy who made that kernel (Franco kernel) does a Nexus 4 Kernel.  Might not hurt to go to XDA and ask him or someone if there is a combo of a custom ROM and a kernel for full USB audio support on the Nexus 4.  Would be nice if his Nexus 4 kernel also enables USB Audio support and if it plays well with Cyanogenmod 10.2 for Nexus 4.

i asked him and this was what he said:

Don't count on that - thats a specific N10 patch only.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=45417196&postcount=46285

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #3,083 of 9,526
Hi folks, my xperia sola has really horrible sound IMHO and my FiiO E5 catch some interference when the mobile data is active, so sometimes I can clearly hear some "bip, bipbipbipb biiiiip". Really annoying.

I was considering the hifiman HM-101, do you know if it could work or if it worth the money? Otherwise, can you purpose other usb portable dac with headphone amp that could work on a android phone? (sub 50$)

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3,084 of 9,526
  Hi folks, my xperia sola has really horrible sound IMHO and my FiiO E5 catch some interference when the mobile data is active, so sometimes I can clearly hear some "bip, bipbipbipb biiiiip". Really annoying.

I was considering the hifiman HM-101, do you know if it could work or if it worth the money? Otherwise, can you purpose other usb portable dac with headphone amp that could work on a android phone? (sub 50$)

Thanks.

I have posted several posts on Sola, USB DACs and phone interferene in general. You can search this thread for Sola.
The key thing about Sola is that it is very restrictive on current requested by USB devices attached to OTG. A lot of DACs may fail to work with Sola because of power restrictions. Also note that Sola will only support USB DAC using USB Audio Recorder Pro app.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #3,085 of 9,526
Just a couple of topics:

1. I got my Pico DAC/Amp back from Justin at Head Amp. It now works without incident on the Galaxy S3, and my Optimus G Pro. I forgot how fantastic the little thing sounds. I've still not heard better out of a portable device. For anyone considering one, let Justin know you want Android compatibility when you purchase. He'll make the required modification for no extra charge.

2. I got one of those OTG Y cables others have linked to. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as designed. Only one connection can work at a time, which defeats the purpose. This was the case on both the S3 & OGP I tested it on. Has anyone else experienced this?

Correction: Despite initial success, I've not been able to get the Pico to work with the OG Pro since. It does, however, continue to work on the S3.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3,086 of 9,526

I have posted several posts on Sola, USB DACs and phone interferene in general. You can search this thread for Sola.
The key thing about Sola is that it is very restrictive on current requested by USB devices attached to OTG. A lot of DACs may fail to work with Sola because of power restrictions. Also note that Sola will only support USB DAC using USB Audio Recorder Pro app.

Gosh, I'm sorry, however thank you so much for your reply. And about mini headphone amp in general, what would you suggest?

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #3,087 of 9,526
2. I got one of those OTG Y cables others have linked to. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as designed. Only one connection can work at a time, which defeats the purpose. This was the case on both the S3 & OGP I tested it on. Has anyone else experienced this?

M-m... What exactly did you expect from an OTG Y cable? AFAIU, the purpose of an OTG Y cable is to provide external power to USB Device (in this context the device is not the phone, but the thing you connect to the phone) or, in some exotic cases, provide power to the host (a phone or a tablet). But I have never heard it was supposed to provide two OTG connections at a time.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3,088 of 9,526

What do you mean, only one connection can work at a time? If there are two microUSB plugs attached to a single female USB-A, one of them is OTG to connect to the phone, the other connects to a battery/charger pack - this way the DAC you connect to the USB-A won't draw power from the Android host device (which can be inadequate, as some DACs are designed to use 5v via a powered USB connection from a full-size desktop or notebook computer).

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #3,090 of 9,526
I am in the same boat with the Sprint LG e970 Optimus G.  I bought a standard HiFimeDIY Sabre UAE23 DAC from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130952688627?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I did not have the OTG on-hand when I recieved it so I cannibalized an old HTC charging cable and a 1 amp garmin hard wired power supply in my mini cooper to create a charging/usb host cable.  I shorted pin 5 and 4 to create the cable.  I was ultimately unsuccessful.  I learned the following on the way though.

I started with a standard innergie dual usb charger:

http://lesterchan.net/blog/2012/09/10/innergie-usb-charger-10w-dual-usb-auto-adapter/

This proved to be a pain because I was tinkering and figured out some interesting items using it.

1.  The charger does not provide voltage unless one of the data lines is grounded or the data lines are connected to the phone.  I initially thought that the charger may have been interfering with the comms lines and this is how I discovered this.

2.  With the DAC powered by the charger there was not enough power on the lines to even have the phone attempt to draw power from the cable.  I do not know if this is because I have the optical model.

With the cigarette lighter USB charger removed and the garmin 1 amp supply there was no question about the 5vdc supply.  It is on all the time.  I therefore did not have to fiddle with the data lines.  There was still a problem with adequate power supply and the phone was only charging in an extremely slow fashion.  In fact with the display on the power supply was unable to sustain the operation of the phone.  

I have since ordered a 2 amp supply to replace the garmin.  I am hoping this is sufficient.  

Back to the Sabre/Optimus compatibility.  

When I connect the cable with power to satisfy the DAC requirements there is no indication of any type of communications indicated on the led.  When using the standard music app on the phone the audio is still directed to the speaker.  I therefore thought that there must be something I missed.  I assumed my internet searches for information must have been lacking something since I was turning up dead ends.  I have reverted to the trial and error method of random downloads at this point.  

I rooted my phone and installed the usb otg helper app.  I thought I might need to use this to unlock the capability of the port or something.  Still nothing.

I ended up ordering an otg cable with a female USB (host side) to test the device with a keyboard or usb stick.  If that works I guess I will try a new cable.

I guess my biggest question is, Is there generally support in the android OS for these types of devices?  My end goal is to be able to use Pandora in my car using the phone with the DAC.  The headphone jack on these phones is terrible and induces a lot of noise on the line.  It is also a pain because I want to just dock my phone when i get in my car.  I do not want to put the phone in the dock and plug in a 3.5 mm cable every time.

Currently I am using a proclipusa.com phone holder and it is awesome.  I want to add the micro usb port to a plate on the bottom so that the phone just slides in and off you go.

I don't know if this is ever going to work.  I am trying not to give up on it.  I know there is at least one other idiot out there that wants to do the same thing as me....or am I a lone-idiot on this one.

Art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back