Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 20, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,126 of 9,526
Quote:

Yep the UHA6 is a very good amp. The DAC isn't as good as its amp section but then again the DAC is still better than any Apple product or any phone DAC for that matter.

Your mention of UHA6's DAC reminded me of a question I had earlier...

If given a $250-$300 budget would I benefit more by pairing a DAC/Amp combo like a UHA6 to my S3 or a dedicated amp like the ALO Rx MkII?

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,127 of 9,526
Quote:
Your mention of UHA6's DAC reminded me of a question I had earlier...

If given a $250-$300 budget would I benefit more by pairing a DAC/Amp combo like a UHA6 to my S3 or a dedicated amp like the ALO Rx MkII?

That really depends biocalves. Will you be using the ALO with full size headphones? Because that is pretty much what it is intended for unless you don't mind hiss... But I see it as combining a better DAC with the better amp and you'll have better sound most definitely. I never used the UHA6 MKII for its DAC personally as my DACport LX is way better just as my DX100 Sabre DAC is. But the UHA6 MKII amp section is where it is and in that, what made it worth owning. The included Cirrus DAC in my case was just icing on the cake (I just scrape the icing to the side :wink:.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #1,128 of 9,526
Quote:
That really depends biocalves. Will you be using the ALO with full size headphones? Because that is pretty much what it is intended for unless you don't mind hiss... But I see it as combining a better DAC with the better amp and you'll have better sound most definitely. I never used the UHA6 MKII for its DAC personally as my DACport LX is way better just as my DX100 Sabre DAC is. But the UHA6 MKII amp section is where it is and in that, what made it worth owning. The included Cirrus DAC in my case was just icing on the cake (I just scrape the icing to the side :wink:.

I totally see your point. I don't plan on using this setup with anything that will cost more than $500. Right now I'm searching for that perfect portable over ear closed can and it will pretty much drive that and nothing else. Given the lack of options that fit this criteria, I doubt that I would need something that serious. 

I looked into the DACport LX but I didn't want to have to carry a separate DAC and an amp as adding a combo unit will be already more than what I'm carrying now. (nothing).

Just out of curiosity what amp do it have the LX paired with? I also read that the LX unit can get quite warm. Do you have any issues with this?

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #1,129 of 9,526
Quote:
I totally see your point. I don't plan on using this setup with anything that will cost more than $500. Right now I'm searching for that perfect portable over ear closed can and it will pretty much drive that and nothing else. Given the lack of options that fit this criteria, I doubt that I would need something that serious. 

I looked into the DACport LX but I didn't want to have to carry a separate DAC and an amp as adding a combo unit will be already more than what I'm carrying now. (nothing).

Just out of curiosity what amp do it have the LX paired with? I also read that the LX unit can get quite warm. Do you have any issues with this?

Yeah I'd only personally use the DACport LX if you are gonna be stationary. Having it as a transport is feasible but still not my cup of tea to be honest. The UHA6 MKII is a great unit keeping portability in mind. Pretty much if you haven't heard anything better than its DAC you're gonna be quite happy. I do see it as an upgrade over my iphone4 and any phone for that matter if it helps :).

The DACport LX is a pure DAC while the DACport is a DAC/Amp combo. The LX is cheaper and is the better sounding unit (more transparent and very neutral with a beautiful mid range). They both are Class A so they run hot (which isn't a bad thing it means they are running at full performance which means better sound). Not hot enough to burn your hands but not very far from it either lol. The device is meant to be used while you are stationary to be honest. For something portable the UHA6 MKII would be better. I use to use the DACport LX with my UHA6 MKII at my desktop as my desktop rig. Now I use the Triad L3 with the DACport LX while I use the DX100/Tralucent T1 amp as my portable rig. Or I use the Studio V 3rd ANV (as portable as you're gonna get for its sound quality, battery life & durability).

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,130 of 9,526
Quote:
Trying to get your trial to work with my Galaxy Nexus. OTG cable connected to "Plugable 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub with 3A Power Adapter" with my Dacport LX plugged into that. Hub is plugged into the wall. Sometimes when I plug in the Dacport LX it makes a weird high pitched humming noise, other times there's no sound. The light on the Dacport LX isn't lighting up and your app isn't detecting it. :frowning2:

Android 4.2.1 + Cyanogenmod 10.1 with CM10.1 kernel.

DACPORT LX worked with my asus TF700 without a hub, using Audio recorder pro.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,131 of 9,526
Quote:

What player do you use when connecting the Asus TF700T to the MyST 1866 PortaDAC?
USB Audio Recorder PRO or another media player?
Thanks!

installed PowerAmp for audio and MXPlayer for video. But Asus may use any players you want. PortaDAC connected to Asus and Asus send signal to 1866OCUB by BT. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #1,132 of 9,526
Quote:
installed PowerAmp for audio and MXPlayer for video. But Asus may use any players you want. PortaDAC connected to Asus and Asus send signal to 1866OCUB by BT. 

But you are not using a DAC?

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #1,133 of 9,526
Quote:
But you are not using a DAC?

Yes. Dac in pocket - IEM in ear. And all control on TF700. No wire from tablet to ear - very comfortable. Especially outdoor. Cable do not cling for anything or anybody  on my way. Especcially it's comfortable for reading books and magazine on Asus with listening music same time.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,134 of 9,526

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #1,136 of 9,526
Quote:
Surprised you have a Fiio E7. I chucked it a long time ago when I got the UHA 4 :wink:.

I love its simplicity....will be replaced with E18.....

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #1,137 of 9,526
Well I got rid of mine because it just sat and collected dust. Still I took real good care of it. It was like new still when I sold it off :). It was a piece of gear that got me started though so in that I do appreciate it :).

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #1,138 of 9,526
Quote:
Well I got rid of mine because it just sat and collected dust. Still I took real good care of it. It was like new still when I sold it off :). It was a piece of gear that got me started though so in that I do appreciate it :).

Me too, Nostalgia....and the battery keeps on going..
L3000.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #1,139 of 9,526
@ eXtream, If I played a 16/44.1 file but chose 96/24, will it be up-sampled?...or in this case what really happens?

Thanks

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #1,140 of 9,526
Quote:
I just added "to be confirmed".
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1065#post_8967179

By the way, have you tried USB Audio Recorder Pro?

Could you provide a dmesg log output?
A dmesg log output could detail what is going on between your Galaxy S3 and your FiiO E07K.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/675#post_8824757

A few patterns seem to be emerging in the E07K thread. Two people have gotten it to work on a Galaxy S3... one from Canada and one from Asia. All US-based users that have tried it on the GS3 and Note 2 are reporting the same thing I did: when trying to listen to music from any player, speaker is muted, no sound plays through the headphones, track time counts up very quickly. Several reported that Audio Recorder Pro does work, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back