Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #781 of 9,526
Not sure if anyone here is in touch with the people from CEntrance. However if so, it would be great if a local S3/Note 2 owner were to offer to let them check if the HiFi M8 is compatible with S3/Note 2 prior to release:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622939/the-centrance-hifi-m8-thread/540#post_8849004

Originally Posted by mgoodman 

> With the Centrance Hi-Fi M8 still not released, would it be possible for Centrance to ensure that the device is
> compliant with USB specification and compatible with the S3/Note2 devices?
Yes, we will be compatible with the USB specification. Have always been. We are hoping that those two devices are as well... That's how you ensure compatibility -- standards compliance is a great thing!
I can't guarantee that we will go out and buy those phones, but then, who knows, we just might... Still a couple of weeks out for that. Need to get the next rev. digital board stuffed and running first.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #784 of 9,526
Nov 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #785 of 9,526
Quote:
That will not work. Needed a OTG cable.

Thanks for your reply.

Damn!!~~ I was hoping it would work, because using OTG, i would then need the other cable to connect to the DAC - quite a messy combination to carry around ..... This would have been so much more convenient lol

Oh well, thanks anyway!

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #786 of 9,526
Quote:

Thanks for your reply.

Damn!!~~ I was hoping it would work, because using OTG, i would then need the other cable to connect to the DAC - quite a messy combination to carry around ..... This would have been so much more convenient lol

Oh well, thanks anyway!

Yep, annoying, so far the only short length host cable we've found that has two males ends terminates in micro USB at the non-host end (so useful for the Glacier and Leckerton models, but most use mini USB). I think it is Lindy.co.uk who do make one that should work, but they only do it in a half metre length (I confirmed that with them via email). I'm in contact with a cable maker here trying to see if they can provide us all with the cabling we need :)

I think at this stage nobody has actually confirmed the Hakshop cable definitely works with the USB DACs that take a micro USB input, I have the cable, but won't get my Leckterton until next week to confirm it is working. My RSA Intruder and HeadAmp Pico both take mini USB cables.

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #787 of 9,526
I've got the hakshop cable & a UHA-6S MKII.  Thing is, I'm currently an iPhone user (I got the cable in anticipation of moving to an SIII in the coming months.. as soon as my wireless contract expires).  I'll try to head to the nearby cell shop tomorrow and see if it'll work.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #788 of 9,526
+1 here looking for a short Micro-A to Mini-B OTG cable!
Frank from Toxic Cables is willing to make one for me, but his price is unreachable for me.
Maybe a group buy would make it cheaper?
I will keep looking for a custom cable maker!

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #789 of 9,526
Quote:
+1 here looking for a short Micro-A to Mini-B OTG cable!
Frank from Toxic Cables is willing to make one for me, but his price is unreachable for me.
Maybe a group buy would make it cheaper?
I will keep looking for a custom cable maker!

try ask ibasso to start selling their's.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #791 of 9,526
Which one of the DAC/Amp that is compatible with stock galaxy note 2 do you reccomend?
I want a good sized one that is relatively thin and portable and doesn't require too much hassle to connect
thanks

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #792 of 9,526
Quote:
Here you are
http://www.lindy-international.com/usb-firewire/usb-cables/usb-otg-on-the-go-cables/
S3 DLJ4+Siyah1.7rc1 Earsonics SM3

I meant short like 6"

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #793 of 9,526
Quote:
Which one of the DAC/Amp that is compatible with stock galaxy note 2 do you reccomend?
I want a good sized one that is relatively thin and portable and doesn't require too much hassle to connect
thanks

HeadAmp Pico DAC/Amp. It's tiny and has a wonderful, very linear DAC. Truly plug-and-play, I've never had a problem with any device (PC/Mac/iPad). I have no experience with the GN2 though.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #795 of 9,526
The HeadAmp Pico does NOT work with the Note 2 (nor the International S3), except when connected via an externally powered USB hub - in other words useless for portable use. It only works properly with the US variant S3 (I have a Pico and used it with my AT&T S3 prior to getting the Note 2, agree the sound is awesome).

Retrias you should probably be looking into something like the Venture Craft Go-Dap X, which is confirmed with the Note 2 and has a flat profile.

The Apex Glacier would likely be even better for you given its low profile, however this has not been definitively confirmed with the Note 2 (should work as it works with the International S3, whose USB audio behaviour seems entirely identical to the Note 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back