Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #811 of 9,526
Sigh. Fiscal responsibility my ass. New things are inbound. The plan is thus:

Meizu MX >> micro USB to mini USB cable >> Matrix USB SPDIF converter >> coaxial cable >> FiiO E17

It's a proof of concept. If it works (and it should), then I'd bet a single-cable solution of 6" or less is possible if I can find someone handy enough for the task. Thanks a lot Head-Fi.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #812 of 9,526
Quote:
Sigh. Fiscal responsibility my ass. New things are inbound. The plan is thus:

Meizu MX >> micro USB to mini USB cable >> Matrix USB SPDIF converter >> coaxial cable >> FiiO E17

It's a proof of concept. If it works (and it should), then I'd bet a single-cable solution of 6" or less is possible if I can find someone handy enough for the task. Thanks a lot Head-Fi.

Please keep us updated. There is no much information (I only found it in this thread) about using the Meizu MX with USB dacs/converters.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #814 of 9,526
okay I got this one, will let you guys know if this works as a one cable solution, I think it will. Good price if it works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Micro-b-male-to-Mini-b-male-data-cable-lead-adaptor-/261124391843?

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #815 of 9,526
For US-based customers, here's a link to Lindy's OTG cables.

Along with the USB "micro-A to micro-B" cable (i.e. for use with the UHA-6S MKII), they've got the (hard-to-find) USB "micro-A to mini-B" cable (i.e. for use with the ODAC).  Shortest length is 1/2 meter (1.5 feet) which isn't totally ideal for portable use, but it's plenty good enough for me.

Do note, Hakshop carries a shorter "micro-A to micro-B" cable (6").. but I've yet to find a shorter (or better) micro-A to mini-B cable than the 1.5 foot one that Lindy's carries (linked above).

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #817 of 9,526
Maybe we need to start a fresh thread? The information on the Lindy cables has been posted half a dozen times now, and new comers are making other threads/posts here asking whether this or that amp will work with their S3 when that information is available every 2-3 pages of this thread thanks to DanBa.

Perhaps a new thread with a few very detailed posts summing our knowledge at the very beginning?

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #818 of 9,526
Agreed.

1st post - General and technical descriptions. Describe the role of DACs/amps, their position in the audio chain, and how USB OTG operates. Also include those macro'd pictures showing the physical difference in the plug between OTG and non-OTG male connectors.

2nd post - List of all USB DACs currently working with an android phone and how they're connected (as specifically as possible; name and brand of cable vs just "OTG cable"). It's easier to list the DACs and beside them the associated android devices than the other way around, as there are far more android devices than there are USB DACs. Links to pictures and posts might also be here beside their respective entries?

3rd post - ???

4th post - PROFIT!

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #819 of 9,526
Maybe we need to start a fresh thread? The information on the Lindy cables has been posted half a dozen times now, and new comers are making other threads/posts here asking whether this or that amp will work with their S3 when that information is available every 2-3 pages of this thread thanks to DanBa.

Perhaps a new thread with a few very detailed posts summing our knowledge at the very beginning?

Sure.. I think a new thread is a good idea.  The Lindy's links I had seen were for international customers.  I hadn't seen anything for US customers  (I could've missed it if it was posted before, though.. if so, my mistake).

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #820 of 9,526
Just a quick note

Updated my dads Note (version 1) to ICS and it now has the same Dock Audio Output mode setting as my S3 and the Note II (I'm waiting on a cable then will test with the E7)

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #821 of 9,526
Just a quick note

Updated my dads Note (version 1) to ICS and it now has the same Dock Audio Output mode setting as my S3 and the Note II (I'm waiting on a cable then will test with the E7)

I tried this between my old Note 1 and E7, but no luck.
Hope you prove me wrong.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #822 of 9,526
Because i've recently learned that my microUSB-miniUSB cable isn't going to work with my e7 -> s2 i'm looking for a new cable.
From my understanding i need a OTG usb cable, but the only one that fits directly seem to be the Lindy cable.

But now i've come across these cables and my question is: can i use these in combination with any usb->miniUSB cable?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back