Android phones and USB DACs
May 26, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #9,242 of 9,526
Please, if anyone can help me.

Problem: Smartphone charging DAC/AMP
Smartphone: Asus Zenfone 4 Max (ZC554KL) - Android 7.1.1
DAC/AMP: Fiio Q1 Mark II
Cables: O'woda Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable (https://www.amazon.com/Owoda-11-4in...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4YCP9W8HZ79KP7Z5VFT1)
CableCreation Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable (https://www.amazon.com/CableCreatio...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PRF41MA7QJANKCNW8CZC)
SMSL M3 Micro USB to Micro USB Cable (came with the unit)
Asus Micro USB to USB type A (female) adapter + USB to Micro USB Cable

Only way to work without charging is with the SMSL dual micro USB cable. But is a very fragile cable. I'd like to know a possible cheap replacement that don't cause this problem of charging. Tried to cut the red wire (power +) or the black wire (ground) from a Micro USB cable and the Smartphone didn't recognize the DAC/AMP unit. I really don't understand why it only works properly with the SMSL Cable.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #9,243 of 9,526
I've been trying to get my LG V30 (with UAPP and Neutron - Android Oreo 8.0) and iFi Nano BL to work. I got it to work one time only after trying 3 different cables. UAPP and Neutron detected the dac and it worked flawlessly.

Then, out of dumb curiosity, I changed the "Use USB Connection for" option on the LG V30 from the default. After I did that, Nano BL is not being detected by either UAPP or Neutron and no audio is being routed to it.

I've enabled developer options and tried selecting different choices under "Select USB Configuration" - nothing.

I've re-installed the apps, cleared the cache. Restarted the phone numerous times.

@Roen seems to have had a similar issue on this thread which included a factory reset of the phone and it still didn't solve the problem. I also think it has to do with some kind of link or setting on the dac itself in how it communicates with Android.

So is there any way to reset the Nano BL to create a new link with my phone?

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #9,245 of 9,526
Hey, anyone have any idea how to connect a device with built in power thru OTG without getting power from the host device(being charged) or any DIY OTG cable that does this?

Cheers.
Which device?

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #9,247 of 9,526
Hey, anyone have any idea how to connect a device with built in power thru OTG without getting power from the host device(being charged) or any DIY OTG cable that does this?

Cheers.
I've tried some cables and the only one that did that to me was the micro usb to micro usb otg cable that came with my SMSL M3. And I really don't know why. All the other cables fell into two categories: 1) The host does not recognize the device due to a lack of power or 2) the host start to charge the device and drain really fast

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #9,249 of 9,526
Can you recommend a good OTG Type-C cable for my DragonFly Red? (OnePlus 5)

Try the new FiiO CL06 OTG cable, it can be found on AliExpress.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #9,250 of 9,526
Try the new FiiO CL06 OTG cable, it can be found on AliExpress.

I need something like this (with female connector) to plug in DF.

sku_395430_1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #9,251 of 9,526

sku_395430_1.jpg

Oh of course, I forgot that DF has a different configuration. My bad.

I suggest to look on amazon, they will likely have something like this.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #9,252 of 9,526

I suggest to look on amazon, they will likely have something like this.

That's right, many different decent choices there. I got a seemingly high quality constructed one by CableCreation for all of $5.99.

That said, I've also got the new one from iFi on order, almost 3x the price but still won't break the bank at $15. Looks to be popular, already out of stock on Amazon in just a few short days.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #9,254 of 9,526
At the end I've taken one from Anker.
Should do the job nicely, Anker makes nice cables.

I received the above mentioned iFi pieces today (one micro USB the other USB C) and they are quite nicely made, easily bettering the build quality of the $1.99 more expensive Audioquest DragonTail. Not sure why they turned the orientation of the input 90° relative to the output.

iFi  OTG.jpg

@iFi audio : Does the above appear to have been properly manufactured? none of the product images depict the connectors that way including the one on the box front, and at least one other user who received the same 2 cables yesterday said his do not have the connectors at a right-angle with each other.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #9,255 of 9,526
Should do the job nicely, Anker makes nice cables.

I received the above mentioned iFi pieces today (one micro USB the other USB C) and they are quite nicely made, easily bettering the build quality of the $1.99 more expensive Audioquest DragonTail. Not sure why they turned the orientation of the input 90° relative to the output.

@iFi audio : does the above appear to have been properly manufactured? none of the product images depict the connectors that way including the one on the box front, and at least one other user who received the same 2 cables yesterday said his do not have the connectors at a right-angle with each other.

Really it has a better build than Dragontail? How about audio quality response?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back