Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 8, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #9,166 of 9,526
Thanks for the help. I am using the audioquest dragontail cable that works on my Samsung S6. Yes it does not even recognise the dfr in uapp. I will try another cable. Due to the positioning of the port on the z3c the straight audioquest cable is not ideal as it does not flex much. Is there any specific cable would recommend?
Bought this in 2016. Right angle is very compact, so it doesn't stick out far. BAD news is that it's an add-on, but I'm sure you can find something yo spend $25 on Amazon to get this canlefor less than $3.
Check this out at Amazon.com
StarTech.com 5-Inch Right Angle Micro USB to USB On-The-Go Host Cable Adapter M/F (UUSBOTGRA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K4RZQWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_Z7YuAbS3ER6MR

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #9,167 of 9,526
Bought this in 2016. Right angle is very compact, so it doesn't stick out far. BAD news is that it's an add-on, but I'm sure you can find something yo spend $25 on Amazon to get this canlefor less than $3.
Check this out at Amazon.com
StarTech.com 5-Inch Right Angle Micro USB to USB On-The-Go Host Cable Adapter M/F (UUSBOTGRA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K4RZQWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_Z7YuAbS3ER6MR

Thanks on order. Its never difficult to find things on amazon to buy!

Will see if it works!

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #9,168 of 9,526
P_20180208_223524_LL.jpg
P_20180208_222450.jpg

Upcoming Hidizs DH1000 works with my Note 4. Comes with 10cm usb micro b to micro b

Will have a video up closer to launch date around the end of the month. Sound is impressive

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #9,169 of 9,526
I have a question regarding UAPP, bit perfect playback and replaygain information. Whenever Bit Perfect playback is turned on in UAPP, replaygain info is ignored. I have multiple recording at various levels so I need replaygain to work.
How would one configure UAPP with Bit Perfect turned off and yet avoid resampling as much as possible? If I turn Upsampling Off, is that bit perfect if within DAC's capabilities?
You can't have replay gain and bit prefect at the same time. Replay Gain is software signal processing, having it enabled means bit perfect is impossible.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #9,170 of 9,526
I recently picked up the Fiio Q1 mkII to drive my Pinnacle PXs and pair with my Samsung Note 8. Overall I am really like the device, seem like a perfect setup for me while on the go, love the sound and every single app I have tried has routed the sound to the Q1. I am running into one major issue though I am hoping people could offer suggestions for.

This seems to be an android issue (I am new to android), but I have tried a few different USB-C OTG cables, and every single one of them makes the phone default to charging, even before I have plugged the other end of the cable in the DAC/AMP. I have gone to the pop-up menu from the charging notification to change it to a MIDI device, and have gone into Developer Options to change the default USB configuration. It still always immediately defaults back to charging after a few seconds of rebooting the connection. I know that it is supplying power to the Q1 as well, because after I have been using it I go to plug it in to recharge and the charging light does not come on, suggesting it is at 100% charge. I can also witness the battery on the Note 8 rapidly deplete when using it hooked up to the Q1.

Anyone have a link to a OTG cable (ideally USB-C to Micro) that will not charge the DAC/AMP? Happy to order from anywhere, just need a solution to this.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #9,171 of 9,526
I recently picked up the Fiio Q1 mkII to drive my Pinnacle PXs and pair with my Samsung Note 8. Overall I am really like the device, seem like a perfect setup for me while on the go, love the sound and every single app I have tried has routed the sound to the Q1. I am running into one major issue though I am hoping people could offer suggestions for.

This seems to be an android issue (I am new to android), but I have tried a few different USB-C OTG cables, and every single one of them makes the phone default to charging, even before I have plugged the other end of the cable in the DAC/AMP. I have gone to the pop-up menu from the charging notification to change it to a MIDI device, and have gone into Developer Options to change the default USB configuration. It still always immediately defaults back to charging after a few seconds of rebooting the connection. I know that it is supplying power to the Q1 as well, because after I have been using it I go to plug it in to recharge and the charging light does not come on, suggesting it is at 100% charge. I can also witness the battery on the Note 8 rapidly deplete when using it hooked up to the Q1.

Anyone have a link to a OTG cable (ideally USB-C to Micro) that will not charge the DAC/AMP? Happy to order from anywhere, just need a solution to this.
Ask Forza Audioworks to make you a cable with only data lines connected and you should be good to go.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #9,173 of 9,526
Excuse my ignorance as I'm still trying to learn how Android works. Is it still worth getting a USB DAC if you don't use UAPP/Onkyo player? Does it work for games/other music apps still?
I feel like I've read so much today and everything ends with use UAPP and it's now just confused me all over again.
Other times it ends with routing the music through UAPP? Which I thought wasn't possible. Which just leads me to confusion as whether a USB DAC is what I need for using with my phone.

My goals are simply to improve the SQ of my phone above the stock experience.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #9,174 of 9,526
Excuse my ignorance as I'm still trying to learn how Android works. Is it still worth getting a USB DAC if you don't use UAPP/Onkyo player? Does it work for games/other music apps still?
I feel like I've read so much today and everything ends with use UAPP and it's now just confused me all over again.
Other times it ends with routing the music through UAPP? Which I thought wasn't possible. Which just leads me to confusion as whether a USB DAC is what I need for using with my phone.

My goals are simply to improve the SQ of my phone above the stock experience.
The reason UAPP keeps getting thrown out there is because it bypasses any and all Android processing on the music file prior to reaching the DAC. Yes a USB DAC, if better than the onboard one, will give better sound on youtube or games or whatever, but running through Android processing first does have an affect on the audio coming through the DAC

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #9,175 of 9,526
The reason UAPP keeps getting thrown out there is because it bypasses any and all Android processing on the music file prior to reaching the DAC. Yes a USB DAC, if better than the onboard one, will give better sound on youtube or games or whatever, but running through Android processing first does have an affect on the audio coming through the DAC
Is it still worth it then getting a DAC for android if I'm still using the Android Processing first?
It's between using a USB DAC vs HiBy R6, and I'm not sure how important of a feature bypass Android Processing is for getting high quality sound.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #9,176 of 9,526
Is it still worth it then getting a DAC for android if I'm still using the Android Processing first?
It's between using a USB DAC vs HiBy R6, and I'm not sure how important of a feature bypass Android Processing is for getting high quality sound.
Bypassing Android processing makes a big difference if you were to compare using the same DAC. But even if yourey not, it's still going to sound better than a less capable built in DAC. For example. Galaxy S8 playing Tidal vs Galaxy S8 to Mojo playing Tidal. Mojo will have somewhat tighter bass, better highs. Relatively noticeably better. Galaxy S8 to Mojo playing Tidal vs Galaxy S8 to Mojo playing Tidal through UAPP gives a very noticeable increase in all areas of sound profile.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #9,177 of 9,526
Bypassing Android processing makes a big difference if you were to compare using the same DAC. But even if yourey not, it's still going to sound better than a less capable built in DAC. For example. Galaxy S8 playing Tidal vs Galaxy S8 to Mojo playing Tidal. Mojo will have somewhat tighter bass, better highs. Relatively noticeably better. Galaxy S8 to Mojo playing Tidal vs Galaxy S8 to Mojo playing Tidal through UAPP gives a very noticeable increase in all areas of sound profile.
I'm trying to decide if I should get the new S9 and use a USB DAC vs the Hiby R6. I can't use UAPP, and I'm not interested in a service like Tidal. So if bypassing Android processing makes a huge difference, I might as well save up for the Hiby R6. If I can still improve my SQ in the meantime using a USB DAC on the S9, and it will be a noticable improvement over S9 with nothing than yes.

So ,my options are:
-S9 in Android Player
-S9 + DAC Android Player
-HiBy R6 which can native bitstream bypassing Android

Is option 2 still a worthwhile upgrade, and given the constraints of option 2, should I be considering investing in option 3 given it can bypass Android processing which makes a big difference?

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #9,179 of 9,526
320 mp3 files at the minimum is my goal. I doubt I'll hit that of course, but that's my goal. I'd like to use FLAC files, but that will depend on which device I choose and whether that device will support the playback or not. Headphones aren't purchased yet. Would be a totally new setup. MediaMonkey App would be my playback app(Not sure if FLAC works, have to test). UAPP isn't an option due to it not being crossplatform with Windows, where I also do music listening and database management. Syncing between my platforms is a must and only itunes and MediaMonkey do this.
So since I'm using MediaMonkey, that's why I was considering the HiBy R6, because I can bypass Android with it, but I want to know if that's a worthwhile investment for me. I don't understand the impact on SQ utilizing apps that aren't UAPP have, but I can't be tied to just 1-2 players.

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #9,180 of 9,526
Personal experience is, a decent external DAC will improve the sound quality of the Android handphone used no matter the software player used.

I have a USB DAC with a ES9028Q2M processor and AD797 opamp chips. I have tested it on my older (now retired) LG G4 running its default music player as well as the HiBy Music player. The differences in musicality are obvious with the default player. With the Hiby which supposedly supports bit perfect throughput too, there were some differences but pretty subtle unless I play it loud or if I were listening in a quiet environment, then it gets heard sufficiently clearly.

For on the move, like out in the park, on public transport, the differences are very much moot. But if listening at the desk at work, maybe it will make a difference to you.

But the key benefit of an external DAC with amplifier built in is the power delivery thats available on tap for harder to drive headphones or earphones. The iPhone dongle doesn't have sufficient power to drive high current draw ear /headphones to maximise their througput quality. Or those with high transitional phase impedance values. Some headphones such as the HD650 and HD800 have phase impedances that are 100~300% higher than its base levels, not the most friendly for low power devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back