Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 17, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #9,136 of 9,526
Yes, hibymusic and UAPP both allow me to play music through their software using the USB OTG, but don't allow other apps to play through the USB i.e. so I can't use spotify or other players on my phone. I really don't like the interface on UAPP but hibymusic is pretty good so at least that option is there.

I could roll back to android 6.0, but I quite like 7 and it seems to run much more smoothly than 6 did on my phone. Might try it and see. I also have an older smartphone that I haven't used in a while, I'm charging it up to see if it will work as a DAP.
If it's smartphone specific issues, then you'd have to rule it out by going to 6 on your current device.

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #9,138 of 9,526
I'm sure they can upgrade android easily enough without rooting - would that make the volume control easier?

Which makes me wonder - if my inability to get the dragonfly to work with my phone is in fact still volume related, is the reason I'm having problems with mine because the volume control on the dragonfly black is analogue? Would using a dragonfly red with a digital volume control bypass this problem?

If I correctly understand you are using a DragonFly Black, right? Audioquest support told me only the DragonFly Red works with phones. I was getting similar results as you with my original DragonFly Black and my Motorola X Pure Edition - the magenta light would come on but no sound would come through. I ordered a DragonFly Red which does work with my MXPE, and quite well. USB Host Check was giving me a green check mark on the top box but red x's on the two bottom boxes, so theoretically (I think) the DragonFly Red should not work, but it does.

This afternoon I upgraded my MXPE from Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow to Android 7.0 Nougat. :relaxed: The DragonFly Red still works but on Nougat the volume is significantly lower. Now I have to crank media volume in settings almost all the way up and the volume button on the side almost all the way up to get decent volume through my earphones. On Marshmallow I had media volume set to about one third and phone volume also about one third to one half.

I have to investigate further into this volume issue to see if there is a way to increase it on the DragonFly Red.

I use Napster\Rhapsody for my music source so UAPP won't help me with that.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #9,139 of 9,526
If I correctly understand you are using a DragonFly Black, right? Audioquest support told me only the DragonFly Red works with phones. I was getting similar results as you with my original DragonFly Black and my Motorola X Pure Edition - the magenta light would come on but no sound would come through. I ordered a DragonFly Red which does work with my MXPE, and quite well. USB Host Check was giving me a green check mark on the top box but red x's on the two bottom boxes, so theoretically (I think) the DragonFly Red should not work, but it does.

This afternoon I upgraded my MXPE from Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow to Android 7.0 Nougat. :relaxed: The DragonFly Red still works but on Nougat the volume is significantly lower. Now I have to crank media volume in settings almost all the way up and the volume button on the side almost all the way up to get decent volume through my earphones. On Marshmallow I had media volume set to about one third and phone volume also about one third to one half.

I have to investigate further into this volume issue to see if there is a way to increase it on the DragonFly Red.

I use Napster\Rhapsody for my music source so UAPP won't help me with that.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I've been using the DFB. I've been strongly considering ordering the DFR to compare anyway. It's hard to justify double the cost when the DFB sounds pretty good to my ears and I'm not convinced I'll hear a huge difference. But I did it through amazon so I have the holiday return period - plenty of time to test them side by side and return the one I like the least (Or maybe gift it to someone else).

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #9,140 of 9,526
quick question, i have a oneplus3 and a fiio q1 mk2 usb dac/amo combo..
i wanna know if theres any way that i can get my phone to STOP charging THE DAC while in use? ie us the dac's own battery rather than giving it power?

"Also take note before purchasing an otg cable to hook up Q1 Mark II with a smartphone. There are two options (ways). First, male Micro usb to male Micro usb. Second, male Micro usb to female usb Type-A and male usb Type-A to male Micro usb. First option will “tell” Q1 Mark II that a smartphone is connected as source and this will prevent Q1 Mark II from drawing current from your phone (Q1 Mark II battery is used). Whereas the second option will “tell” Q1 Mark II that it is connected to a source that can supply current and this will cause Q1 Mark II to draw current from it (Q1 Mark II battery will instead be charged in this case)." - Taken from a review here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-q1-mark-ii-apple-mfi-certified-dac-amp.22526/reviews hope it helps

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #9,141 of 9,526
Long time lurker, first post.

I got Q1 mark 2, pixel 2 xl and usbc to micro OTG cable. I can confirm audio works wonderfully with the big problem described by Ricardo in the post above.

My phone charges the DAC and drains quick! If I dont find solution quick gonna start shopping for a iPhone SE a dedicated cheap player.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #9,142 of 9,526

I got Q1 mark 2, pixel 2 xl and usbc to micro OTG cable. I can confirm audio works wonderfully with the big problem described by Ricardo in the post above.

My phone charges the DAC and drains quick! If I dont find solution quick gonna start shopping for a iPhone SE a dedicated cheap player.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but it's worth a shot....enable developer options and change the usb options in "Select USB configuration" ....just note the default option first then try it out

Screenshot_2017-11-24-04-12-22.png

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #9,143 of 9,526

The cable in the vid works. Sorry for vid quality. No backlight. Mine is working great

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #9,144 of 9,526
"Also take note before purchasing an otg cable to hook up Q1 Mark II with a smartphone. There are two options (ways). First, male Micro usb to male Micro usb. Second, male Micro usb to female usb Type-A and male usb Type-A to male Micro usb. First option will “tell” Q1 Mark II that a smartphone is connected as source and this will prevent Q1 Mark II from drawing current from your phone (Q1 Mark II battery is used). Whereas the second option will “tell” Q1 Mark II that it is connected to a source that can supply current and this will cause Q1 Mark II to draw current from it (Q1 Mark II battery will instead be charged in this case)." - Taken from a review here https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-q1-mark-ii-apple-mfi-certified-dac-amp.22526/reviews hope it helps

thanks but i fixed it.. im using a microusb to usbc wire atm
had to take out the microusb's head and solder the 5th pin (ground) with 4th pin (id).. this apparently is what makes a regular cable a usb otg cable.. the concept is called a pull-down resistor and theres instructions on instructables if you google it.. *for future reference*
thanks tho

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #9,145 of 9,526
Thanks Ricardo and Hawaii boy. I am using a cheap Amazon basics micro to usb-c 6 inch cable.

-Developer options toggling didn't work. Still charging DAC or audio was not routed over Bluetooth

- haven't found special OTG cable to solve problem. Specifically USB-C cable as I have pixel2xl.

Phone went from 98 to 76 just testing settings and writing this reply. But is sounds so dam good!

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #9,147 of 9,526
Thanks Ricardo and Hawaii boy. I am using a cheap Amazon basics micro to usb-c 6 inch cable.

-Developer options toggling didn't work. Still charging DAC or audio was not routed over Bluetooth

- haven't found special OTG cable to solve problem. Specifically USB-C cable as I have pixel2xl.

Phone went from 98 to 76 just testing settings and writing this reply. But is sounds so dam good!

https://twitter.com/iriver_Lyumo/status/931342769137659904

Just saw this in my twitter feed

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #9,148 of 9,526
FYI, just posted this:
A short comparison between the Sony ZX2 DAP USB out (using the powered cradle), Sony Z3 Compact and XZ1 Compact phone USB out and a 22 kg heavy, modded Marantz CD10 as transport through coaxial SPDIF feeding a TDA 1541 NOS DAC (2x4 DAC chips). Material was CD source, ripped as wav, and high-res files 192 kHz PCM, stored in the internal memory of the players (I know, various SDXC cards are to be tested as well). I listened through my Stax system, my dynamic headphones setup, and speakers. I will just summarize my conclusions here.

1) First off, the Z3C digital output was surprisingly better (cleaner, calmer, more dynamic, more defined) than that of the much newer XZ1.

2) There was little difference between the ZX2 and Z3C digital output, perhaps I preferred the ZX2 more often (if I could tell a difference). With high-res material the ZX2 pulled ahead slightly with its own slightly bass-bloomy way, however, not enough to justify buying a ZX2 over a Z3C. The Z3C more than held its own with piano playback from ppp to fff.

3) The Sonys were also better than Mac Mini USB out filtered through various decrapification and LPSUfication (about 18 months of various experiences in this sentence, perhaps the best was Mac Mini --> Ethernet --> Beagleboard + Linux --> USB). Never tried the SoTM Ultra or the UltraRendu, maybe they are better, I don't know, but's it's hard to top the simplicity and convenience of a battery powered digital source. Anyway I intended to evaluate all these against a top CD transport (LP and reel tape sources don't count now).

4) The CD transport was still better than the Sonys, especially with dynamic peaks, but I'd say within surprisingly small margins so it makes sense to finally digitize the CDs and forget disk handling. Despite very small presentation differences, there was nothing missing from the music, sound stage, details when played through the DAP/phone. Maybe I will keep one all-rounder multi-bit CD player (Stax CDP Quattro, looking at you) and it's time to clean up the cupboards from CDs.

To wrap up this monologous thread, if a digital transport is needed, there is not much risk in trying a Sony Z3C with Android 4.2.2. Of course a DAP may be justified depending on the use case, so feel free to try a DAP like the Sony ZX2 + cradle with USB out. With a proper USB interface, I expect it would be quite enough as a transport.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #9,149 of 9,526
Hey guys how you all doing?
I hope you dont think im rude. Ive been reading up on transport options for my Mojo and ended up here. Started reading then saw how many pages and thought Strewth!! I'll just ask i think!! ...... And im crap on search engines.
All i need to know (ok, i know nowts that simple!) is what is the best Android phone OTG to my Mojo? Not a DAP, not needed really with the Mojo i feel, and the new Chord Poly is not so practical imo. .... Damned expensive too!

I do contribute but not here on this thread before, until this Mojo virus hit me! I love it OTG from my SG Tab S2 and more portable'ish from my iphone SE into my Focal Elear, or B&W P7 BT (wired of course) sounds great. :)

Only my SE with 16gb was maxed out pretty quickly as you can imagine. So for more portable ( I will be getting some IEM's shortly also) I'd like 256gb min SD capability, Good solid OTG C or micro b, to micro b, bit perfect transport. I run mainly USB Audio Pro, but always trying others, as you do! .... As powerful processing power as i can get for my budget. Got around £400 to spend.
Aint bothered about looks, id un-bloat it as much as i could, rooting to do that? (Never done that, yet) It'll be purely a transport, my SE will do phone duty.
It'll only ever be conected to cellular for Qobuz imports, HD music downloads etc. Not while playing, the Mojo is not too well shielded, bit, well lot, of a cock up by Chord there imo.

Have i missed anything, probably, id appreciate a couple of suggestions guys? ....... Preferbably other than "bog off" :)

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #9,150 of 9,526
Hey guys how you all doing?
I hope you dont think im rude. Ive been reading up on transport options for my Mojo and ended up here. Started reading then saw how many pages and thought Strewth!! I'll just ask i think!! ...... And im crap on search engines.
All i need to know (ok, i know nowts that simple!) is what is the best Android phone OTG to my Mojo? Not a DAP, not needed really with the Mojo i feel, and the new Chord Poly is not so practical imo. .... Damned expensive too!

I do contribute but not here on this thread before, until this Mojo virus hit me! I love it OTG from my SG Tab S2 and more portable'ish from my iphone SE into my Focal Elear, or B&W P7 BT (wired of course) sounds great. :)

Only my SE with 16gb was maxed out pretty quickly as you can imagine. So for more portable ( I will be getting some IEM's shortly also) I'd like 256gb min SD capability, Good solid OTG C or micro b, to micro b, bit perfect transport. I run mainly USB Audio Pro, but always trying others, as you do! .... As powerful processing power as i can get for my budget. Got around £400 to spend.
Aint bothered about looks, id un-bloat it as much as i could, rooting to do that? (Never done that, yet) It'll be purely a transport, my SE will do phone duty.
It'll only ever be conected to cellular for Qobuz imports, HD music downloads etc. Not while playing, the Mojo is not too well shielded, bit, well lot, of a cock up by Chord there imo.

Have i missed anything, probably, id appreciate a couple of suggestions guys? ....... Preferbably other than "bog off" :)
Shanling M1 + Hibylink? That's what I'm using with idsd bl with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back