Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #7,291 of 9,526
Yep. It has some problems with RF interference though, Chord themselves are recommending using your phone in airplane mode as a solution, however I don't really see neutering my phone in order to use it as any kind of answer (and other DAC/amps I use aren't exhibiting this behavior). I should be able to audition it in the next couple of weeks and will report back.

I think someone in the Mojo thread mentioned that the interference really occurs on 2G and is not noticeable really on 3G/LTE.
I do get some WiFi interference with my DX100 DAP so I am not surprised that the phones being so heavy weave generators may impact the audio signal.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #7,292 of 9,526
That was one report, yes. Several others have reported also but not correlated to 2G only. Don't think the question of noise is settled yet.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #7,293 of 9,526
As smartphone can create a lot of EMI/RFI noises, I never place a smartphone next to or stack a smartphone on a DAC/amp.

Moving the DAC/amp from the noisy smartphone is one of the advantages of the separate element setup.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #7,296 of 9,526
Oh, you know, just casually passing my Saturday thrashing away to Megadeth. 
smile.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #7,298 of 9,526

I built a custom rig for when I am gonna chill in one spot and don't wanna pick up the Note. Gyroscopic adjust. Works like a charm

I keep meaning to ask you which case you use on your Note 4? Is that an iFace case?

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #7,301 of 9,526
My music resides on a 128 GB USB stick, which I connect to my LG G4 (via OTG). This setup drains significantly my G4 battery, Even when using a Y splitter cable which provides power only to the USB stick (partly due to the mediaserver load).

Recently I cam across a LAVA product http://lavalink.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-usb-adapters-hubs-poe-hubs-2/usb-otg-host-charge-adapter-tab4-tabpro/  which seems to be relevant for Samsung devices. This product enables OTG and charging of the phone at the same time.

Is it compatible with the G4? what type of USB is in the LG G4?
Is there another solution or a an LG G4 compatible adapter?

Please advice

Thanks

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #7,302 of 9,526
am using Nexus5 > CM12 > OTG-Y (cheap Chinese) > hifime sabre android DAC

with different power sources for the Y cable, 12v-USB car adapter or USB battery packs.

The otg-y to phone connection has to be last if I want the phone's charging symbol to come on, and it charges at low usb power only (500ma ?), though this might be because the otg-y cables are 28awg.

If I am powering the otg-y from the car 12v socket and start the engine or turn off ignition then my phone hard crashes and needs the battery disconnected to allow a reboot. With USB battery packs I don't have this issue.

So, first I'd try lots of methods of plugging it in and checking the battery settings section (sometimes it said charging there even if no icon change), and I think sometimes it was charging but said nothing in either place though not certain about that (it may have been CM11 for that thing).

Finding out whether an OTG-Y with 20awg or 24AWG power wires would allow my Anker to charge at AC settings is my next mission

edit: thought i'd add, can't use wireless Qi charging and OTG at the same time on my phone

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #7,303 of 9,526

Thanks

Sometimes (rarely) when I connect the USB stick to the Y cable and set the charging (via wall charger or an external battery pack), the charging indication indicates charging. Although in practice the phone does not charge and the battery keeps depleting.

BTW. does someone here uses the LAVA SimulCharge adapter?

Thanks again

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #7,305 of 9,526
For all you guys trying to power your device while using USB OTG why not look into those wireless charging adapters. I've had a little experience trying to get MHL cables that provide power to the device but the draw is too high and just one microusb port doesn't seem to do it.

So for my current setup I use a Sony Xperia 2 Tablet OTG to a FiiO X3 (Tried the dragonfly but I have to use the USB Audio Player Pro app to adjust the hardware volume) but anyway I use an external dock that powers it through these connectors on the bottom of the tablet, and charges fine while supplying enough power to my FIiO X3 OTG as well. I would assume something like a wireless charger would be able to take on the same responsibility as the dock connector I use. So I would look into that. Probably not the cheapest option unless your device has wireless charging built-in but it's worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back