Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #6,646 of 9,526
  I've been using Hiby for use with my Oppo HA-2 and whilst it works really well with it I still can't get use the UI compared to Poweramp.

My gripes - Albums that are listed under Artists just lists as songs - I want to be able to select the Album.
Shuffle - No shuffle all.
Now Playing - To get back to the track playing you have to keep pressing back until you get back to that screen. If you using folders to navigate that can take quite a while!
Track Listings - For some reason it won't play my albums in the correct order.

Poweramp does so perfectly.

Thanks for your support.

Shuffle (Random?) mode is selected in Now Playing screen by click the play order icon.

The one question you mentioned "How to get back?" - I'm not sure I have understood it clearly. Did you mean that get back to the Now Playing screen? If so, just slide right from the list screen.

We will fix other issues in the next versions.

Apr 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,647 of 9,526
Does the galaxy s4 with Lollipop supportsysb dac (such as the Stoner UD110V2), without the need for UAPP?

Not necessarily, please see my and other people's earlier posts on trouble with the 5.0.x (on e.g. S4+). Lollipop seems to be a different story to Kitkat, where DanBa's summary post gives a solid list.

To be fair, there seems to be a newer Android version update for S4+ than I have, so might be that fixes things. At least there are a few recent post that would seem to suggest that.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #6,648 of 9,526
I'm new here and been reading a lot. So basically I have a nexus 5 and want to connect a usb key and usb dac (in the likes of the dragonfly) at the same time so I can play my mp3's from the usb key and out the dac. If I want to change the phone at the same time and depending what dac I use I should need a powered usb hub that will allow this function.
Can anybody suggest any?

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #6,652 of 9,526

Thanks for your support.

Shuffle (Random?) mode is selected in Now Playing screen by click the play order icon.

The one question you mentioned "How to get back?" - I'm not sure I have understood it clearly. Did you mean that get back to the Now Playing screen? If so, just slide right from the list screen.

We will fix other issues in the next versions.

Thanks for your help! You answered my "How to get back?" question. When I was searching through tracks in folders I was constantly pressing back to get to the Now Playing screen - didn't figure out the swipe!
Shuffle(Random) - this works for the 1 album or artist however I would love a Shuffle All mode. I often want to shuffle my whole library when I can't choose what to listen to etc.

Can you also look at the 'Folder' option remembering where it was last? I have to keep navigating to my Music folder on extSD card each time as it reverts to Android root.

Cheers!

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #6,653 of 9,526

Thanks for your help! You answered my "How to get back?" question. When I was searching through tracks in folders I was constantly pressing back to get to the Now Playing screen - didn't figure out the swipe!
Shuffle(Random) - this works for the 1 album or artist however I would love a Shuffle All mode. I often want to shuffle my whole library when I can't choose what to listen to etc.

Can you also look at the 'Folder' option remembering where it was last? I have to keep navigating to my Music folder on extSD card each time as it reverts to Android root.

Cheers!

for Shuffle All mode, you should play a song in "All" category, then click the icon in Now Playing.

"Remember the folder": Do you say that it should remember the last folder even if app exit and enter again? If so, we will add this feature in next versions.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6,654 of 9,526
  I'm new here and been reading a lot. So basically I have a nexus 5 and want to connect a usb key and usb dac (in the likes of the dragonfly) at the same time so I can play my mp3's from the usb key and out the dac. If I want to change the phone at the same time and depending what dac I use I should need a powered usb hub that will allow this function.
Can anybody suggest any?

Android USB audio:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6585#post_11499210
A list of USB Audio Player PRO resources (compatible USB DAC, compatible Android devices, ...):
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/
A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the native USB audio of Android 5.x Lollipop:
stock Google Nexus 5 running on Android Lollipop > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/x3loEQ

Nexus 5 - USB key - AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 USB DAC connected via a USB hub:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4710#post_10544580
music files stored on a USB key connected to a USB hub > USB Audio Player PRO running on Nexus 5 >> USB OTG adapter >> USB hub >> AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Nexus 5 - USB key - AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 USB DAC wirelessly connected via a RAVPower FileHub:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5325#post_10867634
music files stored on a USB key connected to a RAVPower RP-WD01 / RP-WD02 Filehub >> Wi-Fi link >> USB Audio Player PRO running on Nexus 5 >> USB OTG adapter >> AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2  USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #6,655 of 9,526

for Shuffle All mode, you should play a song in "All" category, then click the icon in Now Playing.

"Remember the folder": Do you say that it should remember the last folder even if app exit and enter again? If so, we will add this feature in next versions.

Yep I think that's a good idea!
I've just started having issues with Hiby since I updated to Lollipop on my Note 4. I will play a track and then when I try to play something else it will stop playing. The little 'music' icon that using moves up and down like an EQ stops and the 'Play' button stops responding. I have to keep turning my USB DAC on/off for it to register and then it will play one song and crash again. Using the Oppo HA-2. Worked perfectly before upgrading to Lollipop.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #6,656 of 9,526

Yep I think that's a good idea!
I've just started having issues with Hiby since I updated to Lollipop on my Note 4. I will play a track and then when I try to play something else it will stop playing. The little 'music' icon that using moves up and down like an EQ stops and the 'Play' button stops responding. I have to keep turning my USB DAC on/off for it to register and then it will play one song and crash again. Using the Oppo HA-2. Worked perfectly before upgrading to Lollipop.

Same thing happened to me and I was also able to get it working by turning my idsd micro off/on then restarting the app.

Hiby seems to be less stable (crashes much more) than UAPP and HF player but, unlike UAPP, when its working properly I don't get as many errors recognizing my idsd micro and, unlike HF Player, I can search and playback from folders. Hiby also does hi-res and DoP for free unlike the others.

I think Lollipop is still the issue though. Either music apps get stuck at a fixed sample-rate and distorts the sound or they don't recognize usb dacs and crash. The only pros I've noticed so far is less battery drain on my Note 3 when using it with the idsd micro and (imo) the sound is better compared to android 4.4. Had problems over usb before upgrading to 5.0 as well so I'd call it push.

Everything seems to work ok once I get Hiby going. I can play whole albums without issue which will do for now until the next android update hopefully fixes usb audio.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #6,657 of 9,526
Hi everyone!

I got a Honor 6 runing the HUAWEI ROM EMUI 3.0 (which is 4.4.2 Android version)
Really good phone for the price overall, but the jack sound quality is not that good for an audiophile... So i got myself an external DAC from HiFiME http://hifimediy.com/android-dac .

Great little device that really improves sound quality for €30...! At least, on my wife Moto G! Because it does NOT work on the honor 6.

Very frustrating: I listen to music using Deezer. When I play from Deezer, nothing comes out from the DAC (sound comes out of the rear speaker). Now, if I play music from local files using the USB AUDIO PLAYER app, it works like a charm.... Seems to imply that not only th USB OTG feature is requiered (which is the case on the Honor 6) but also the USB AUDIO DRIVER feature. Which is embeded in the USB Audio Player App but not native in the honor 6.

Do i analyze this properly?
I think the USB driver is a feature from the Linux Kernel - but not 100% sure. Would you guys know if there is a way to enable it? Flashing the kernel? using busy box? Other.

Thanks for your help! Great faith in you guys: you seem to be the expert on this topic!!!

Cheers!
Kala

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #6,658 of 9,526
  Hi everyone!

I got a Honor 6 runing the HUAWEI ROM EMUI 3.0 (which is 4.4.2 Android version)
Really good phone for the price overall, but the jack sound quality is not that good for an audiophile... So i got myself an external DAC from HiFiME http://hifimediy.com/android-dac .

Great little device that really improves sound quality for €30...! At least, on my wife Moto G! Because it does NOT work on the honor 6.

Very frustrating: I listen to music using Deezer. When I play from Deezer, nothing comes out from the DAC (sound comes out of the rear speaker). Now, if I play music from local files using the USB AUDIO PLAYER app, it works like a charm.... Seems to imply that not only th USB OTG feature is requiered (which is the case on the Honor 6) but also the USB AUDIO DRIVER feature. Which is embeded in the USB Audio Player App but not native in the honor 6.

Do i analyze this properly?
I think the USB driver is a feature from the Linux Kernel - but not 100% sure. Would you guys know if there is a way to enable it? Flashing the kernel? using busy box? Other.

Thanks for your help! Great faith in you guys: you seem to be the expert on this topic!!!

Cheers!
Kala

Apparently, the Huawei Honor 6 doesn't have a native USB audio feature, or its native USB audio isn't compatible with the HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC.

The USB OTG feature allows an OTG-capable Android device like the Honor 6 to switch from the USB peripheral operating mode to the USB host operating mode, so that the OTG-capable Android device can work with a USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB DAC (i.e. USB is a master-slave communication bus: USB communication can only take place between a master device or host device, and a slave device or peripheral device).

In order to work with a compatible USB DAC, the Android device should have:
. an isochronous USB host feature (i.e USB host driver)
. a USB audio driver 
. a USB audio driver "interface"
. a music player

Like other generic music player, Deezer is interfacing with the native USB audio driver "interface" (i.e. Android media player framework) which configures and uses the ALSA USB audio driver.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6195#post_11264146

Apparently the Android media player framework of the Huawei Honor 6 doesn't use the ALSA USB audio driver (i.e. no native USB audio feature), or the the Android media player framework of the Huawei Honor 6 doesn't properly configure and use the ALSA USB audio driver in order to drive the HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5550#post_10974392

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,659 of 9,526

Galaxy Note 3 using UAPP >> USB OTG adapter cable + regular USB cable >> self-powered Belkin 4-port USB hub powered by a Veho Pebble battery pack >
>> regular USB cable provided by the USB DAC maker >> ODAC >> Neco V3 amp >> Mad Dog headphones
>> regular USB cable provided by the USB hard drive maker >> Western Digital 2TB My Passport portable USB hard drive

Galaxy Note 3 using UAPP >> micro USB OTG plug to standard A receptacle USB adapter cable + standard A plug to mini B plug regular USB cable (the Belkin hub has a mini B receptacle for the upstream port) >> self-powered Belkin 4-port USB hub powered by a Veho Pebble battery pack >>
>> standard A plug to mini B plug regular USB cable provided by the USB DAC maker (the ODAC has a mini B receptacle)  >> ODAC >> Neco V3 amp >> Mad Dog headphones
>> standard A plug to USB 3.0 micro B plug regular USB cable provided by the USB hard drive maker >> Western Digital 2TB My Passport portable USB hard drive

I have been experimenting with a variation of this setup (Galaxy S4 with Android 4.4.2 using UAPP >> Valarm USB OTG Adapter and charging cable >> Rosewill USB 2.0 hub powered by RAVPower 15000 Ma battery back >> iFI Micro IDSD DAC >> Sennheiser HD800 headphones; USB 3.0 cable supplied by Seagate >> Seagate 2 TB portable USB Hard drive). The Seagate Hard Drive has 200 gb free; the rest is filled with lossless flacs and DSD music. The problem I have been having is that it takes the Samsung Galaxy S4 about 5 minutes to read the contents of the hard drive each time I power up the setup. When I connect a Dell Venue 8 to the same setup in place of the Galaxy S4, the Dell reads the contents of the hard drive immediately. I was wondering if that was normal for an Android phone when reading a nearly full USB drive? If not, does any one know what could be wrong? 

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #6,660 of 9,526
I bought a PCM2707 board for experimentation with my HTC Desire 820U (Official 4.4.4 with Sense UI 6).

My phone doesn't support USB Audio Out, all audio is still routed to speakers.

But I tried and got it working using Onkyo HF Player. Hiby doesn't work (detects the device but says IO error on playback) while the UAPP Trial apk doesn't even install.

I have a PCM5102A board (uses PCM2707 receiver, I don't have anything above 16/44.1) on its way.

Probably Lollipop update should solve the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back