Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 13, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #6,601 of 9,526
  android 5.0/5.1 and (possibly) every rom based on that version have problems detecting and running external dacs through usb port. at least natively.
as now, the only 2 apps that works are UAPP and Onkyo player. I tested with iBasso MK2 dac/amp and OnePlus One 64gb.
I tried also Neutron, Poweramp, GMusic, Shuttle+ and several others: the DO NOT work now. I think we have to wait or use the above-mentioned apps.
I have to say I dont like their GUI (the one i like most is poweramp). But the software is really good and the audio part is spectacular

HiFime has refered on his website that the 9018 DAC works natively with a Nexus 6. They told me today that their HiFime UH1 384Khz USB DAC, headphone amplifier and I2S/DSD interface works also natively from a Nexus 6. That makes sense since Lollipop now implements USB Audio Class 1 natively.

So, I have a Oneplus One too. I'm expecting that the 9018 DAC will also work natively when the release of CM12S. I expect that the same USB DACs that work on the Nexus 6 will work on CM12.  Shouldn't I expect this?

Are you using a CM12 nightly on your 1+1? Just tested with MK2 or know anything more about DACs working on CM12?

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,602 of 9,526
  HiFime has refered on his website that the 9018 DAC works natively with a Nexus 6. They told me today that their HiFime UH1 384Khz USB DAC, headphone amplifier and I2S/DSD interface works also natively from a Nexus 6. That makes sense since Lollipop now implements USB Audio Class 1 natively.

So, I have a Oneplus One too. I'm expecting that the 9018 DAC will also work natively when the release of CM12S. I expect that the same USB DACs that work on the Nexus 6 will work on CM12.  Shouldn't I expect this?

Are you using a CM12 nightly on your 1+1? Just tested with MK2 or know anything more about DACs working on CM12?

yes, supposedly they should work because new android has native support for usb audio.

i ran the tests with EuphoriaROM based on android 5.0.2. I am not running 5.1 nightlies because of some know issues (video playback etc.) and so i am waiting for a stable release. I can only say that UAPP can manage everything also on 5.0.2 so it is not a big issue. I suppose that UAPP can manage audio and external usb dacs also through 5.1. A full-functioning and native usb support of course will be better.

about external dac on 1+1 you can also check this out, even if it hasn't been updated recently: http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/accessories/external-dacs-opo-best-t2845309

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #6,603 of 9,526
mdiogofs:
 That makes sense since Lollipop now implements USB Audio Class 1 natively.

Hi, Thanks for that - I just tried my Dacmagic XS with a Moto G ( 2nd Gen ) and found that it works natively ( It didn't used to work ! ) Interestingly, the XS has both USB Audio Class 1 and 2, and the Moto G works in both modes.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #6,604 of 9,526
I don't think Android 5.0 Lollipop has a USB Audio Class 1 driver (i.e. USB DAC playing up to 24/96).
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_Async.htm

It should have a USB Audio Class 2 driver (i.e. USB DAC playing up to 32/384).

The Android 2.3 source code was released with a Linux kernel including an ALSA USB Audio Class 1 driver.
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614
https://github.com/dalingrin/nook_kernel/blob/encore-32/sound/usb/usbaudio.c

The Android 4.0 source code was released with a newer Linux kernel including an ALSA USB Audio Class 2 driver.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1005#post_8950416
https://github.com/sgs3/GT-I9300_Kernel/blob/master/sound/usb/card.c#L246

246 case UAC_VERSION_2: { 

The Android 5.x source code was released with an Android media player framework which can only output 48kHz PCM stream to the ALSA USB Audio Class 2 driver for the time being.
Music player like USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) which includes its own User Space / Third-Party USB Audio driver (i.e. which doesn’t interface with the Android media player framework) can output 32/384.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6195#post_11261908
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6390#post_11387768

For the time being, there are two main types of Android USB audio implementations: Native USB audio & User space / Third-Party USB audio

1. Native USB audio running on
. Android 4.x-powered Android devices: designed by Android device manufacturer (a “mature” USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered Google Nexus X devices: designed by Google (a new USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered non-Google devices: designed by Google (a new USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered non-Google devices: designed by Android device manufacturer (a somewhat “mature” USB audio like Android 4.x USB audio)
. Android 5.x-powered non-Google devices: designed by Google and enhanced by Android device manufacturer (i.e. a mix) (a somewhat new USB audio)

2. User space / Third-Party USB audio running on isochronous USB host-featured Android devices:
. implemented by eXtream Software Development (USB Audio Player PRO, USB Audio Recorder PRO)
. implemented by Seashells Music Software (HibyMusic).
. implemented by Onkyo (Onkyo HF Player).

X = 5, 6, 7 (2013), 9, 10

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #6,605 of 9,526
Just switched from UAPP to Onkyo HF Player.

UAPP required a constant connection after install to "validate" itself and it wouldn't recognize some of my dacs. Ifi idsd micro worked but it wouldn't recognize the Sennheiser M2 in dac mode. HF player works with both and its EQ feature is well implemented.

Not to mention HF player is free (up to 48khz) but at least it works for skip free usb playback in android 5.

I may upgrade the player for high-res and try the upsampling feature too.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #6,606 of 9,526
  Just switched from UAPP to Onkyo HF Player.

UAPP required a constant connection after install to "validate" itself and it wouldn't recognize some of my dacs. Ifi idsd micro worked but it wouldn't recognize the Sennheiser M2 in dac mode. HF player works with both and its EQ feature is well implemented.

Not to mention HF player is free (up to 48khz) but at least it works for skip free usb playback in android 5.

I may upgrade the player for high-res and try the upsampling feature too.

I've used the Onkyo HF Player (free) and found it to work very well, sounds great. Like you I found the EQ to be "well implemented." I've used it with 3 different DACs; FiiO E18, Schiit Modi 2 Uber and the Schiit Bifrost Uber USB2.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #6,608 of 9,526
I’ve explained to “Teac Europe” the problem with Android 5.01 in Galaxy S4 and Teac HA-P50 and this is the response:

The reported malfunction seems to be related to your Galaxy S4. There have been reports of USB Audio to stream empty audio packets while in Android Open Accessory (AOA) mode with Android 5.0
http://developer.samsung.com/forum/thread/samsung-android-50-streaming-empty-audio-packets-for-aoa/202/279015?boardName=General&listLines=15&startId=zzzzz

It seems that is a problem of Samsung because Nexus 5 works well with Android 5.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #6,609 of 9,526
With my fiio e18:

Galaxy s4 Android 4.4.2: works natively
Motorola Moto g XT 1033 Android 5.0.2: works natively (with otg adapter)
Galaxy tab s 8.4 Android 4.4.2: works natively
Galaxy tab s 10.5 (of my wife) Android 5.0.2: not working after upgrade to lollipop

For me all is clear. The problem is caused by Samsung, not android lollipop...

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #6,610 of 9,526
With my fiio e18:

Galaxy s4 Android 4.4.2: works natively
Motorola Moto g XT 1033 Android 5.0.2: works natively (with otg adapter)
Galaxy tab s 8.4 Android 4.4.2: works natively
Galaxy tab s 10.5 (of my wife) Android 5.0.2: not working after upgrade to lollipop

For me all is clear. The problem is caused by Samsung, not android lollipop...

I can second this with the Fiio E18 and Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2

I can also say that the ALO The International does not work with the Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.2. Tried several OTG cables and it will not work. I use Spotify mostly so I have not tried USB Audio Recorder Pro.
Edit: I have read that the ALO The International+ does work with Android 4.4.2 on the S4 but mine is not the "+" model... so no dice.

I was looking forward to the Android 5 upgrade as I have read of a few instances where people gained use of a DAC that would not work with 4.4.2 with 5.  But if there is a problem with Samsung... I don't want to loose use of one DAC to MAYBE gain use of another... I think I will see how this plays out before I upgrade.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #6,612 of 9,526

yes, supposedly they should work because new android has native support for usb audio.

i ran the tests with EuphoriaROM based on android 5.0.2. I am not running 5.1 nightlies because of some know issues (video playback etc.) and so i am waiting for a stable release. I can only say that UAPP can manage everything also on 5.0.2 so it is not a big issue. I suppose that UAPP can manage audio and external usb dacs also through 5.1. A full-functioning and native usb support of course will be better.

about external dac on 1+1 you can also check this out, even if it hasn't been updated recently: http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/accessories/external-dacs-opo-best-t2845309

Thanks! I'll check that list out.

And the answer is Yes. I just installed Lollipop based Cyanogen OS 12 S (CM12S name deprecated) , the Cyanogen OS 12 (CM12 name deprecated) version for the OnePlus One, and the audio works natively with HiFime 9018 DAC. Finally!

@DanBa I'm not that into it technically, so I was saying after reading this page: https://source.android.com/devices/audio/usb.html

Host mode

Android 5.0 (API level 21) and above supports a subset of USB audio class 1 (UAC1) features:

1. The Android device must act as host
  2. The audio format must be PCM (interface type I)
  3. The bit depth must be 16-bits, 24-bits, or 32-bits where 24 bits of useful audio data are left-justified within the most significant bits of the 32-bit word
  4. The sample rate must be either 48, 44.1, 32, 24, 22.05, 16, 12, 11.025, or 8 kHz
  5. The channel count must be 1 (mono) or 2 (stereo)

Recommendations for audio peripheral vendors

In order to inter-operate with Android devices, audio peripheral vendors should:

1. design for audio class compliance; currently Android targets class 1, but it is wise to plan for class 2
  2. avoid quirks
  3. test for inter-operability with reference and popular Android devices
  4. clearly document supported features, audio class compliance, power requirements, etc. so that consumers can make informed decisions

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6,613 of 9,526
I just ran a quick new test.
Gear: OnePlus One android terminal + Android 5.1 (EuphoriaOS 5.1 based on cyanogen 12s) + iBasso D-Zero MK2 external DAC + OTG cable
Apps: Poweramp, Native audio player, Onkyo HD Player, UAPP.

As usual onkyo and UAPP can play through external dac without any problem. DAC is recognized imediately without any issues. Poweramp and native audio player does not work. It appears that sometimes they can recognize the external dac but if you play a song no audio comes out from dac+ampli nor from phone speakers or phono out.
I have to check some variants (e.g. rebooting the phone with dac already plugged and turned on).

As now, UAPP and Onkyo confirmed as the best way to use external dacs with android devices.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #6,614 of 9,526
Hi, I bought  a few days ago a Sony Xperia Z2 as a replacement for my Samsung Galaxy S3. It sees and plays music via Geek Out 450 (UAPP and Neutron player) on Stock Android 4.4.4. The Walkman app can play music but has no digital volume control. It can however access my DLNA server minimserver which I have installed in my macmini. Now I wanted to go one step further.

Is there any DLNA/UPNP app that can access  other servers AND render the music to other apps such as UAPP? I tried one named Arkuda (or something like that) which supposedly used UAPP as music player but no music came out of the earphones...Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #6,615 of 9,526
  How did you fix the stuttering issue when streaming from an aptX source to your Z3 Compact (D5803) running stock 4.4.4?

I'm actually streaming from my Z3c to an AptX car receiver (Kinivo BTC455).  The stuttering issue was caused by the Xperia Throw service constantly polling for other BT devices.  The solution was to disable the Xperia Throw service.  You can do this without rooting the phone.  I found the solution here (http://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/2mdmuk/getting_throw_function_to_workalternative/) after searching for quite a while to find a solution that didn't require rooting.  Download the Sony ADB drivers for your phone onto your PC and Minimal ADB & Fastboot, run Minimal ADB, run the command listed in that thread, reboot phone.  Keep in mind that you may have to re-run this command after updating some of the built-in Sony apps.  The stuttering came back after I updated Smart Connect so I just re-ran the ADB command and that fixed it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back