Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 10, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #6,571 of 9,526
Hi all.

I am having the following problem with my Telus Galaxy S III: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/183530-possible-galaxy-s3-design-fault-audio-buzz-hiss-crackle-noise.html

Am I correct in thinking that the problem is with the internal DAC in my phone, and that a USB DAC would not have this problem? If so, do you have any recommendations for cheap USB DAC's I could use with my phone?

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #6,572 of 9,526
Hi all.

I am having the following problem with my Telus Galaxy S III: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/183530-possible-galaxy-s3-design-fault-audio-buzz-hiss-crackle-noise.html

Am I correct in thinking that the problem is with the internal DAC in my phone, and that a USB DAC would not have this problem? If so, do you have any recommendations for cheap USB DAC's I could use with my phone?

From memory that was long ago fixed by Samsung in a firmware update. If you're on a current firmware that is unlikely to be your problem. Whatever the issue is though, an external DAC is likely to be unaffected (unless it's the headphones causing your problems).

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #6,573 of 9,526
I'm running CyanogenMod 11 M12 (4.4.4). I don't think it's worth going back to stock just to see if the problem is fixed, but I'm thinking about flashing an unofficial version of CM 12.1 (5.1), and I'll report back with results if I do wind up flashing it.

I know it is not specific to the headphones. I can hear it on my Dunu Tridents, the built-in speaker, and Steelseries Siberia.

Hi all.

From memory that was long ago fixed by Samsung in a firmware update. If you're on a current firmware that is unlikely to be your problem. Whatever the issue is though, an external DAC is likely to be unaffected (unless it's the headphones causing your problems).

I'm running CyanogenMod 11 (4.4.4). I don't think it's worth going back to stock just to see if the problem is fixed, but I'm thinking about flashing an unofficial version of CM 12.1 (5.1), and I'll report back with results if I do wind up flashing it.

I know the problem is not specific to the headphones. I can hear it on my Dunu Tridents, the built-in speaker, and Steelseries Siberia.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6,574 of 9,526
  Of course, you are right, I did mean resampling ....
The "USB digital out" setting does not seem to be available in Lollipop anymore. The Dragonfly DAC gets detected automatically and audio is routed through it, when it is connected.
Interesting and somewhat strange that with 4.4.4 the walkman app keeps the source samplerate (except 88.2), but in Lollipop it resamples everything to 96kHz. Also output from the Qobuz app gets resampled from 44.1 to 96.
USB Audio Player Pro keeps the sampling rates (incl. 88.2)

I've got a Z3 Compact (D5803) running stock 4.4.4 and Walkman App (8.5.A.3.2) with a DragonFly 1.2 and it changes colors properly with all 4 sample rates, 44kHz:green, 48kHz:blue, 88kHz:amber, 96kHz:magenta so it doesn't do any resampling.  I normally use UAPP with the DF because there's no volume control when using the Walkman App. 

Even though 5.0.2 is available for OTA flashing now, I chose to stay with 4.4.4 because of various unresolved issues with 5.0.2 on the Z3/Z3c.  Now you've documented another reason for me not to upgrade.  I think I'll wait until the 5.1 release is ready and see how that goes for others before I decide if I want to "upgrade".  The phone works great for me as it currently stands now that I've figured out how to fix the AptX bluetooth music streaming stuttering issue.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #6,575 of 9,526

If it is true, the ACA R resistor values of Samsung tablets and of Samsung phones are probably not the same.

You should ask the Lava people for precision.

I sent them an email about a week ago asking that question, but I received no response.

In the meantime, I ordered this cable, Valarm Micro USB Host OTG Y-Cable with Micro USB Power Charging for Samsung Phones (http://shop.valarm.net/products/micro-usb-host-otg-y-cable-with-micro-usb-power-for-samsung). .
 I just got it today, and it enables me both play music through the ifi DSD and charge the Galaxy S4 at the same time. However, it turns out that the OTG capability only works when power is applied to the phone. Is this the way these type of dual charging/OTG USB cables are supposed to work? Do the LAVA products work the same way -- i.e., OTG Host mode only works if power is supplied? 

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #6,576 of 9,526
Arcam IrDac works with Sony Experia Z3 compact trough UAPP.
NO success with Hiby musicplayer.

Edit.

Success with a splitter and external power, hiby and Spotify works now.
Runnig lollipop 5.0.2 and everything seems to works well.

Have to write to Arcam support now and tell them that they were wrong about using android on The IrDac.

Johan

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #6,577 of 9,526

I just got it today, and it enables me both play music through the ifi DSD and charge the Galaxy S4 at the same time. However, it turns out that the OTG capability only works when power is applied to the phone. Is this the way these type of dual charging/OTG USB cables are supposed to work? Do the LAVA products work the same way -- i.e., OTG Host mode only works if power is supplied? 

It depends on the current draw of the DAC. My Meier Cantate.2 only needs power from the phone for the USB input indicator lamp while everything else - USB receiver, DAC, output stage - are run by the amp's power supply; my D-Zero however needs power to run all those from the host device, and actually runs as a DAC without flipping its power switch on (which presumably is only for the amplifier circuit).

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #6,578 of 9,526
There's a beta firmware for the iFi micro iDSD that's supposed to support system audio for Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/3405#post_11489963
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/3420#post_11492984

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to infer from this that it will also support system audio with my Note 3 on 4.4.2 (i.e. won't need to use UAPP)?

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #6,579 of 9,526
Tried the trial version and UAPP works perfectly. I'll be buying the full version shortly.

Now able to playback using the Micro with my Note 3 at correct, different bit-rates and it sounds great!

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #6,580 of 9,526

In the meantime, I ordered this cable, Valarm Micro USB Host OTG Y-Cable with Micro USB Power Charging for Samsung Phones (http://shop.valarm.net/products/micro-usb-host-otg-y-cable-with-micro-usb-power-for-samsung). .

As far as I understand the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification, yes, this is the way.

A USB OTG device is configured to USB host mode supplying or drawing power, or USB peripheral mode by ACA software/hardware measuring the value of the ACA resistor of the Valarm Micro USB Host OTG Y-Cable.
The ACA resistor of the Valarm cable doesn't change and has always a given value which should switch the USB OTG Android device in an operational mode waiting for power from an external power supply, i.e. not supplying power to a USB DAC which requires a 5V power supply to be operational.

Do the LAVA products work the same way -- i.e., OTG Host mode only works if power is supplied? 

It depends on the LAVA product.
If the value of its ACA resistor doesn't change, yes, it works only if power is supplied.
If the value of its ACA resistor can be modified, no.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #6,581 of 9,526

A USB OTG device is configured to USB host mode supplying or drawing power, or USB peripheral mode by ACA software/hardware measuring the value of the ACA resistor of the Valarm Micro USB Host OTG Y-Cable.
The ACA resistor of the Valarm cable doesn't change and has always a given value which should switch the USB OTG Android device in an operational mode waiting for power from an external power supply, i.e. not supplying power to a USB DAC which requires a 5V power supply to be operational.

Thanks very much!

If I understand this correctly, that might explain something that was puzzling me. When connected via a standard OTG Cable to the Galaxy S4 in battery mode, the ifi Micro iDSD was still drawing power from the phone, even though no signal was present from the phone going to the iDSD. I contacted iFi support about this, and they explained that the iDSD was probably treating the phone like a computer, and thus wasn't going into sleep mode; instead the iDSD was charging itself from the phone. 

Today I connected the iDSD using the Valarm cable, and also attached a portable battery supply to the Valarm cable. In this configuration, the phone recognized the iDSD and also seemed to be charging at the same time. However, when I stopped listening to music, disconnected the portable battery supply from the Valarm cable, but left the iDSD on and still connected to the Galaxy S4, it seems that the iDSD properly went into sleep mode, and did not draw any power from phone. That resistor must be preventing the iDSD from drawing power from the phone. 

What I've trying to accomplish with all this is to create a setup where, a) I don't have to disconnect and reconnect everything each time I stop listening for a while; B) limit the drain on the phone and iDSD batteries when I'm not listening but everything is till connected;  c) enable me to connect a portable hard drive if I want; and d) make it relatively easy to charge everything. I've been trying Danba's wired (http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4710#post_10544580) and wireless (http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5325#post_10867634) solutions--many many thanks for these great ideas!!, and I think I'm getting close to what I'm looking for. The Ravpower wireless filehub with a 2TB external drive attached, connected via the Valarm OTG Y Cable to a Galaxy S4 powered by an external battery, might be the best solution for me, in the absence of a USB hub like the LAVA STS-3U that is compatible with the Galaxy S4. But I'm still investigating. . . .

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #6,583 of 9,526
Apr 10, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #6,585 of 9,526
Also apt-x is required on both ends of the transmission. Most people don't know that.

Heh, even Tyll made that mistake in his UE9000 review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back