Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 28, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #5,417 of 9,526

In my first attemps to solve the problem I actually connected the DAC before starting any application, as you told me to do, so I always had to close it or even to restart the smartphone if the connection did not work. This was very cumbersome. In this second series of tests, I mostly stayed in the application (say, UAPP), diconnected the DAC, restarted the stream and reconnected the DAC. It did not work always at the first attempt but very often. So the correction procedure is much lighter now than in the first series of tests.

What do you mean by "restarted the stream"?

Anyhow "Important: connect your device BEFORE starting the app, otherwise it will not get detected!" is an instruction of the UAPP developer.
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

YouTube video about a UAPP session: the Chord Hugo USB DAC/amp is connected to the Galaxy Note 3 BEFORE starting UAPP ....

Sometimes when starting UAPP, the following UAPP screen asking to allow the UAPP to access to the USB DAC doesn't appear, you should exit the UAPP app and restart the UAPP app.

Both Dragonflies persist to show a magenta fly (96 kHz) when plugged into the smartphone (also with UAPP playing FLACs ripped from CDs or 128 kbs podcasts), although they 'can green' (44.1) when sticked to a worstation, which has been parametrized for 44.1 kHz output.

It's weird.

When playing CD-ripped music you should have on the top of the UAPP screen:
DAC: 44100 Hz
File:  44100 Hz
=>
16/44.1 music file  (i.e. File: 44100 Hz) > UAPP running on Android device > 16/44.1 PCM stream (i.e. DAC: 44100 Hz)  >> USB DAC

24/96 music playback:
24/96 music file (i.e. File: 96000 Hz) > UAPP running on Android device > 24/96 PCM stream (i.e. DAC: 96000 Hz) >> USB DAC

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #5,418 of 9,526
DSD128 playback on UAPP with a DSD128 file (dff) on a DSD128 capable DAC (GO1000) using Galaxy Note 3.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #5,419 of 9,526

When playing CD-ripped music you should have on the top of the UAPP screen:
DAC: 44100 Hz
File:  44100 Hz
=>
16/44.1 music file  (i.e. File: 44100 Hz) > UAPP running on Android device > 16/44.1 PCM stream (i.e. DAC: 44100 Hz)  >> USB DAC

If your DAC is 24 bits, you should  have :

16/44.1 music file  (i.e. File: 44100 Hz) > UAPP running on Android device > 24/44.1 PCM stream (i.e. DAC: 44100 Hz)  >> USB DAC

24 bits transfert for 16 bits file, allows the use of digital volume without loss.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #5,421 of 9,526
Is there a recommendation for a starter set-up? I'm looking for a att-compatible smartphone that will hold 64gb (or 128gb) sd card and a great external dac/amp to pair with it?

I hope you don't mind my asking here. It seems like this kind of set up will be the future of portable audio until audiophile phones come out. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #5,422 of 9,526
If I were you, I would do the following:
. Select a (portable) USB DAC/amp well pairing with your headphones/IEM
. Select an AT&T smartphone that suits you best
. Check their compatibility

If you limit your choice to Samsung phones, you could check the compatibility list at the following post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5385#post_10897805
A 128GB microSD card can be inserted into a Galaxy S3/S4/S5/Note2/Note3/Note4.
The upcoming Galaxy Note4 should likely have the same USB audio behavior than the Galaxy Note3.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #5,423 of 9,526
Imackler - I have the LG Optimus G Pro. It was cheap, but the sound is mediocre through the headphone out do to mediocre onboard DAC and amp. The phone sound is excellent with a good USB DAC, and supports up to 128 GB micro SD cards . Plus, the phone's size (5.5"diagonal) makes it a great tablet replacement. I already owned a Fiio E07K amp/USB DAC, and it works very reliably with a USB OTG cable.

It appears that the Sony Xperia Z2 works on AT&T, and Sony wrote their own driver for high resolution audio, similar to USB Audio Player Pro, but I imagine the Sony version is better/more reliable. However, I have no idea if Sony phones are any good otherwise, and I know LG puts out as good a phone as Samsung, but at a lower cost. Either way, until the internal DAC is bypassed natively by Android for USB audio, your external DAC can only sound as good as the internal with nearly all player apps. Therefore, I'd either get the Sony, or plan on getting UAPP with any other android phone. No idea if the Sony has memory expansion capacity or not.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #5,424 of 9,526
  If I were you, I would do the following:
. Select a (portable) USB DAC/amp well pairing with your headphones/IEM
. Select an AT&T smartphone that suits you best
. Check their compatibility

If you limit your choice to Samsung phones, you could check the compatibility list at the following post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5385#post_10897805
A 128GB microSD card can be inserted into a Galaxy S3/S4/S5/Note2/Note3/Note4.
The upcoming Galaxy Note4 should likely have the same USB audio behavior than the Galaxy Note3.

Imackler - I have the LG Optimus G Pro. It was cheap, but the sound is mediocre through the headphone out do to mediocre onboard DAC and amp. The phone sound is excellent with a good USB DAC, and supports up to 128 GB micro SD cards . Plus, the phone's size (5.5"diagonal) makes it a great tablet replacement. I already owned a Fiio E07K amp/USB DAC, and it works very reliably with a USB OTG cable.

It appears that the Sony Xperia Z2 works on AT&T, and Sony wrote their own driver for high resolution audio, similar to USB Audio Player Pro, but I imagine the Sony version is better/more reliable. However, I have no idea if Sony phones are any good otherwise, and I know LG puts out as good a phone as Samsung, but at a lower cost. Either way, until the internal DAC is bypassed natively by Android for USB audio, your external DAC can only sound as good as the internal with nearly all player apps. Therefore, I'd either get the Sony, or plan on getting UAPP with any other android phone. No idea if the Sony has memory expansion capacity or not.

Thanks for both posts! Both of your ideas are similar and a huge help!. I've started doing a lot of reading on what dac/amps work and looking for the best, cheap options of the phones you've mentioned. The Optimus G Pro looks like it could really be what I'm looking for, though an older Samsung would be great, too! I'm leaning this way as the best of both worlds. I'd be able to use the dac/amp with my laptop, too, so that's a win, whether I keep the E07K or upgrade. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #5,425 of 9,526
As to that Galaxy S5 - Dragonfly affair...  (http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5415#post_10917251)

I always plug the OTG cable with the DAC first, before starting any audio app. This is an evidence for me.
What changed in the second series of tests: in case the sound was broken, I did not anymore close the app, unplug the DAC, (eventually restart the smartphone), plug the DAC in again, restart the app. I just plug the DAC out, which interrupts the streaming (automatic pause). Then I press on play (which I mean writing of restarting the stream). This works usually within 1-3 attempts.

The symptom is not that nothing works. I always get some sound and the fly on the DAC lights up, so I must admit that the drivers are installed and the DAC recognized. The symptom is mainly low pitch and spoiled sound. My assuption is that it is a communication problem between the smartphone and the DAC, in the sense that the smartphone would tell the DAC it sends 16/44.1 data and actually sending 24/92, or the reverse, I don't know. I have no idea why plugging the DAC in again does help, nor why it does sometimes, and sometimes not.

The screeshots included in your post made me realize that I did not have the same interface on my Player Pro. Actually, I downloaded the wrong one, although a very resembling one, shame on me. Searching just for Player Pro in Google Play shows the UAPP on 39th position...

Once UAPP installed and started, it shows the correct sampling rate and bit depth and the Dragonfly correctly lights up green with a CD ripped to flac (with other apps it still lights up magenta).

Most striking is the sound quality I get with UAPP, just with a well ripped CD. There is no reason that Android/Samsung don't get there some day. Android L?

With UAPP it also happens that the sound is low and broken at start but with the new rescue procedure this is not a big problem anymore, just an annoyance of the kind I am accustomed to using IT for a while now...

With the Drragonfly, volume is set in the analogue domain of the DAC/amplifier on the base of control information sent over the USB protocol; there would be no benefit to send 24bit bandwidth for 16/44.1 flacs saved from ripped CDs.

Thanks for the support!

Reto

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #5,426 of 9,526
Encore mDAC USB DAC/amp:
"Encore mDAC turns your mobile device into a high-end player."
http://www.encore-av.com/main/products/dac-series/mdac-detail

"Really a nice product. This little box is just as good (in fact better) than devices at 2/3 times the price.
I was a bit skeptical as there were no reviews but decided to give it a trial. All I can say is WOW!!
Used with the Galaxy S4 and USB Audio Player PRO the difference between the native player and the combination above, the sound quality is markedly superior; Deeper, cleaner bottom end, fantastic clarity on the upper end and let's not forget an incredible soundstage.
Used with the Shure 535 or 846, I would doubt that you'd be disappointed."
http://www.amazon.com/Encore-mDAC-Headphone-96kHz-Black/dp/B00M7FMAI6?tag=amazonsearchshop-20

A micro USB OTG cable is included in the box.

The Encore mDAC receives a Golden Qobuzissisme award from Qobuz.
http://www.qobuz.com/lu-fr/info/Hi-Fi-Guide/Bancs-d-essai/Encore-mDAC-en-exclusivite176113

So far, the following Android devices have been successfully tested with the Encore mDAC:
LG G2, HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, Samsung Galaxy S4, Google Nexus 7 with UAPP.
http://next-audio.blogspot.fr/

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5,427 of 9,526
  Encore mDAC USB DAC/amp:
"Encore mDAC turns your mobile device into a high-end player."
http://www.encore-av.com/main/products/dac-series/mdac-detail

"Really a nice product. This little box is just as good (in fact better) than devices at 2/3 times the price.
I was a bit skeptical as there were no reviews but decided to give it a trial. All I can say is WOW!!
Used with the Galaxy S4 and USB Audio Player PRO the difference between the native player and the combination above, the sound quality is markedly superior; Deeper, cleaner bottom end, fantastic clarity on the upper end and let's not forget an incredible soundstage.
Used with the Shure 535 or 846, I would doubt that you'd be disappointed."
http://www.amazon.com/Encore-mDAC-Headphone-96kHz-Black/dp/B00M7FMAI6?tag=amazonsearchshop-20

A micro USB OTG cable is included in the box.

The Encore mDAC receives a Golden Qobuzissisme award from Qobuz.
http://www.qobuz.com/lu-fr/info/Hi-Fi-Guide/Bancs-d-essai/Encore-mDAC-en-exclusivite176113

So far, the following Android devices have been successfully tested with the Encore mDAC:
LG G2, HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, Samsung Galaxy S4, Google Nexus 7 with UAPP.
http://next-audio.blogspot.fr/

Are you Ron Fitzgerald or just quoting him? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #5,430 of 9,526
ive been out of the loop for a while.

but i got a dragonfly dac v1.2 and i want to use it with my galaxy s3(using neutron or whatever other music player). i do have an otg cable but as far as i can tell, it is not the id pin grounded version.

my question is, where can i get the otg id pin grounded cable? i would prefer getting it from amazon (more flexible shipment address deliver options).
tia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back