Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #1,276 of 9,526
Quote:
If you're on the i9300, you're one of the lucky few who can use the Siyah kernel with dual boot.  Flash your favorite version of CM or Paranoid as first ROM, then find a Touchwiz build of choice for use as the second ROM.

hallo I am new to this community but I follow xda and android development in general.
After reading in the last days some of this threads I decided to buy E17 and DT990 to use them with Macbookpro and i9300.
Is there any custom setup suggested for siyah kernel to make it work correctly with the new "hardware" I bought ?? 

thanks for the attention !

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,278 of 9,526
You might wanna try wanamlite rom
wanamlite.com
pretty darn good sammy rom IMO

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #1,279 of 9,526
EDIT:
Went to their website, seems promising. The latest version mentions some kernel tweaks, hope this doesn't remove the USB audio function. Flashing now...

Isn't that still ICS? Last time I checked 4.0.4 was the latest version. I am currently on stock 4.1.2 XXELL4

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,280 of 9,526
Quote:
anyone willing to do this for xperia neo? :D

The Xperia Neo supports the USB OTG feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uHOmtsHorM
Hence, the Xperia Neo has USB host enabled.

The Xperia Neo can be powered by Android 4.0.4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_Xperia_neo

Therefore the Xperia Neo could likely interwork with some USB DAC using the USB Audio Recorder PRO app according to the eXtream Software Development web site:
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

"Supported Android devices
In theory, all Android devices that meet the following requirements should work:
. Android 3.1 or higher (no root required!!)
. Device supports USB host mode"

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,281 of 9,526
Quote:
Current version of my transportable rig for lunchtime listening at work:

Samsung Galaxy Note II --> USB audio --> micro USB host to mini USB cable --> Ray Samuels Intruder --> Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced RSA to 4-pin XLR adapter --> balanced removable cables --> Jaben-modded Beyerdynamic T5p.

I guess you get a significant SQ improvement over your previous single-ended rig "S3 + Pico + Beyerdynamic T5p".

Spent my hour at lunch today listening, just totally engrossed. Lots of spontaneous smiles, which for me is the most meaningful metric of sound quality. Cherub Rock literally gave me goosebumps.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,282 of 9,526
Quote:
Ok, so here is what I think I can do if I understand the Android docs correctly: make a Service that other apps (music players) can 'bind' to, which means they should be able to stream their decoded audio to my 'USB audio service' and the service will then output it to the USB audio device.

The pro's for me are that I don't have to write something that handles playlists and decodes mp3's and I don't have to make fancy graphics that I'm unable to as I'm too techie!
redface.gif

But in this case, other app developers like the Neutron Music player or whatever players you guys are in to must be willing to support this service (as in, they need to make several adjustments to their program in order for it to work).

Any authors here of such player apps or people who have good contact with them that can ask?

Davy, that would be outstanding.  I wonder though, would it be possible to have all of the phone's audio hijacked, getting routed though the USB out?  If so, you wouldn't need to worry about coordinating with another app builder.  Something tells me this would be a very difficult bit of programing to achieve.  It would be the ultimate prize from the end user's perspective though.  

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #1,283 of 9,526
Quote:
Davy, that would be outstanding.  I wonder though, would it be possible to have all of the phone's audio hijacked, getting routed though the USB out?  If so, you wouldn't need to worry about coordinating with another app builder.  Something tells me this would be a very difficult bit of programing to achieve.  It would be the ultimate prize from the end user's perspective though.  

I have faith, they just need time.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,284 of 9,526
Quote:

The Xperia Neo supports the USB OTG feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uHOmtsHorM
Hence, the Xperia Neo has USB host enabled.

The Xperia Neo can be powered by Android 4.0.4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_Xperia_neo

Therefore the Xperia Neo could likely interwork with some USB DAC using the USB Audio Recorder PRO app according to the eXtream Software Development web site:
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

"Supported Android devices
In theory, all Android devices that meet the following requirements should work:
. Android 3.1 or higher (no root required!!)
. Device supports USB host mode"

well, what do you know!! 
biggrin.gif

thanks DanBa. now to borrow some portable usb dac/amp from a friend. will report later

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #1,285 of 9,526
xDuoo XP-1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642504/xduoo-new-company-making-interesting-portable-dac-and-amp-units

"This unit will sell for roughly $300 shipped. It's a slim portable amp/DAC based around a pair of Wolfson WM8740 DAC chips in dual differential mode. Amp section uses two OPA627 opamps and offers adjustable gain (+3dB or +7dB) as well as a selectable bass boost. It has the typical aux input via 3.5mm jack as well as a USB input for DAC duty. The USB input uses a TI PCM2706 which is limited to 16-bit/48kHz, which is done for a reason: the XP-1 is meant to be paired with Android phones. So far it's been confirmed to work with the popular Samsung Galaxy S3 as well as the larger Galaxy Note II and also the HTC One X. xDuoo claims Android 4.0 or newer should work but there's no guarantee - I found out the hard way that my Meizu MX 4-core does not work. 

Not only does the XP-1 connect with phones as a DAC, but it can also charge the phone thanks to its large capacity battery. This function is activated with a switch so it is only used when needed. Nice."

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,286 of 9,526
That cable looks nice, anywhere to order it? 
I am looking at this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mini-B-5-Pin-male-Micro-5pin-male-Adapter-cable-/270803395745?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D4694218514191468282%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D160934079006%26

I got a US verizon S3, and just threw an order on the fiio e07k.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,287 of 9,526
Quote:

I guess you get a significant SQ improvement over your previous single-ended rig "S3 + Pico + Beyerdynamic T5p".

Yes and no... The sound quality is impeccable, however I like the sound signature less than the Pico to be honest. The Intruder is a bit more dark and laid back, which suits my on-the-go listening less as I tend to listen almost exclusively to rock and metal on-the-go (whereas at home I also listen to a lot of jazz and other music). It's great in that it can drive anything I own, right up to the HE-6 if needed, so for that reason I'll certainly hold on to it. Anyways, just purchased the Apex Glacier and see how that suits my on-the-go listening... 

I really wonder whether the HTC handsets that can support USB audio can work with the Pico (I note they do work with the E17 where the Samsung handsets don't), that may make a difference in future phone purchase decisions...

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,288 of 9,526
Quote:
USB audio & Android

USB standard (audio, mass storage, etc.) driver supported on stock Galaxy S3 / Note2
"As long as the kernel on the Android device supported the USB standard driver of the hardware (mass storage, input, etc.), Android would be able to use it and therefore open up a new range of extra devices compatible with the system."

USB standard (audio, mass storage, etc.) driver not supported:
* Developing your USB standard (audio, etc.) driver at the kernel space
"However, there are many devices that have not been "compatible" from the beginning. For instance, let's say your common RFID reader. It most likely uses a USB-serial port and probably comes with a Linux or Windows driver as well as some software. Most Android tablets will come without the USB-serial driver for your RFID reader however.
Therefore, if you want to load your driver you will need to root your tablet, determine the version of your current kernel, find the kernel sources online, hope that everything compiles to have your driver ready and then load it onto your tablet. In the end, when you finally have your kernel driver running, you will be required to write C code as well as some JNI glue to communicate with your Activity or Service in Android.
All in all, this approach is not very straightforward.

* Writing your own USB "soft driver" at the user space
There is a very elegant solution to aforementioned problem.
It requires far less skills in hacking and porting than the mentioned approach. However, you will require some advanced knowledge in Android programming as well as some USB know-how.
You can write your own "soft driver" in Android. Since the USB Host API has been released, it is now possible to communicate with any USB device using the most commonly seen USB transfers (control, interrupt, bulk).
In the end, your result will be portable across all Android devices that have USB host enabled and have Android version 3.1+. Moreover, this solution does NOT require root access to the tablet or phone. It is currently the only viable solution that does not require the user to have any know-how of rooting/hacking the device and risk losing warranty in the process."
http://android.serverbox.ch/?p=549

DanBa, if I understand you correctly: if a developer opted for the 3rd, "soft driver," resolution listed above, then we'd have an open door to using USB DACs with a large number of devices, is this correct? If so, is there some way people who have an interest can start contributing funds in escrow to be granted to the developer that finally makes it happen? I'd be willing to toss $50 into a pot if I'd be guaranteed to either get my money back or get a working solution. Maybe a Kickstarter project or something? Any ideas, guys? 

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,290 of 9,526
Looking for a USB dac that can work with the android and would still be pocketable(so not big, I can carry something along the line of an old 4th gen ipod and a PSP on one pocket , so around that size). I have been looking at the apex glacier (should this work? it is the successor to TTVJ slim), Venturecraft godap, and the xduo danba just posted , so those three would be my choice
anything else that sounds good for "modern" non classical music? along the line of rock , pop in the same size dimension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back