Android phones and USB DACs
May 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #8,971 of 9,526
?
The volume levels are fine with the built in music amp, and with Neutron. I'm just using iems for the most part. Don't really need multiple music apps, the built in isn't as flexible as some of the add ons. But I can do most stuff with Neutron (and I think it sounds a bit better than the built in app).
With that I can agree, as yourself I have too many music player apps installed, most builtin apps do not seem to be programmed by people that appreciate the quality of listening to music and their UI's are either confusing for flashy+disfunctional. I'm a big fan of Neutron, the UI really sucked in the past and has improved over time. The UI for the parametric EQ is much better than before. I haven't used PowerAmp in so long that I'll probably uninstall it. MediaMonkey might get caged as well. Both were inexpensive so keeping them hanging around because they were paid for seems to be a fool's errand.

May 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #8,972 of 9,526
I have more that I don't use-Hibymusic, USB audio player pro (which has a specific use, but don't have much call for it). And have had others in the past. Should just get rid of all except Neutron (don't think the built in is deletable).

May 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #8,973 of 9,526
I have more that I don't use-Hibymusic, USB audio player pro (which has a specific use, but don't have much call for it). And have had others in the past. Should just get rid of all except Neutron (don't think the built in is deletable).
You might be able to disable the built-in by using the Application Manager (Android settings), worth a look. Hiby, that's another that I haven't used in a long time. The road with USB APP has been rocky, it seems to be stable at the moment. I got the pay for parametric EQ add-on, the UI is a bit funky. I use USB APP with Bubble UPnP to stream music from my Google All Music subscription, both seem to be playing nice with each other (for the moment). Neutron+Bubble hve problems with numerous duplicate song listings in albums etc, it's improved but not all fixed. If I browse the UPnP by folders that doesn't happen, however, it lists by alpha order not track order and that is not good either.

May 26, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #8,974 of 9,526
I like to stream WFMU.org, great radio station, and use HTC 10 and the Pioneer DAP. Neutron seems to work fine for higher resolution streaming on the Pioneer, but won't work on the HTC for some reason (station has an app with a built in player that I use instead, but I don't think it sounds as good). Haven't tried streaming services in a music app (have TIDAL, just used it straight up so far).

May 28, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #8,977 of 9,526
From my experience. There is no setting for bit perfect. It does not mean that it can pass through usb audio its Bitperfect. Last time I tested, it will do DSD64 only.

May 29, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #8,979 of 9,526
I'm using the ifi Micro idsd bl, which switches inputs automatically.
I've since purchased a Motorola G4 plus , which seems to work using any music app, including Poweramp.

Apologies for delayed response.

G4 behavior is the normal behavior of an android phone. As soon as you connect a USB audio device, audio from any app will be directed to it. However this will be through android audio architecture for most apps and there are quality concerns with this architecture so it is advisable to use app that can bypass it i.e. UAPP, Neutron, Onkyo HF Player etc.

For XA, Sony here advises to go to USB connectivity menu and click on detect device to detect a peripheral device. I would suggest that you download Onkyo hf player which is a free app and try to use it with 16bit 44KHz flac file. Use the same cable you are using with G4. Make sure no other inputs are connected to iDSD.

1. In the first case connect OTG cable to phone then power on iDSD and then connect OTG cable to it. Launch Onkyo player and start playback if the DAC is not detected please follow the step suggested by Sony above.
2. In second case, connect iDSD and phone through OTG and then power on iDSD. Please note that this will draw power from your device to power iDSD so proceed at your own risk. Launch Onkyo player and see if DAC is detected. if not, follow the steps suggested by Sony.
3. If both of the above fail, try connecting a USB flash drive through the same cable to XA and see if USB storage function works well with XA. You may want to try this before option 2 or even option 1.

I have found someone using DFR with this phone here, So it should work with iDSD as well. However iDSD auto input detection may be at fault here.

May 29, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #8,980 of 9,526
Apologies for delayed response.

G4 behavior is the normal behavior of an android phone. As soon as you connect a USB audio device, audio from any app will be directed to it. However this will be through android audio architecture for most apps and there are quality concerns with this architecture so it is advisable to use app that can bypass it i.e. UAPP, Neutron, Onkyo HF Player etc.

For XA, Sony here advises to go to USB connectivity menu and click on detect device to detect a peripheral device. I would suggest that you download Onkyo hf player which is a free app and try to use it with 16bit 44KHz flac file. Use the same cable you are using with G4. Make sure no other inputs are connected to iDSD.

1. In the first case connect OTG cable to phone then power on iDSD and then connect OTG cable to it. Launch Onkyo player and start playback if the DAC is not detected please follow the step suggested by Sony above.
2. In second case, connect iDSD and phone through OTG and then power on iDSD. Please note that this will draw power from your device to power iDSD so proceed at your own risk. Launch Onkyo player and see if DAC is detected. if not, follow the steps suggested by Sony.
3. If both of the above fail, try connecting a USB flash drive through the same cable to XA and see if USB storage function works well with XA. You may want to try this before option 2 or even option 1.

I have found someone using DFR with this phone here, So it should work with iDSD as well. However iDSD auto input detection may be at fault here.
Thanks very much for the proposed solutions. I will try them in time.

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #8,982 of 9,526
Hi guys,

Does anyone have an idea if a xiaomi redmi pro will work with an external USB dac (mojo)? I've just bought a 128gb model to use as a transport.

It should work but thought I'd see if anyone had actually tried this combo

Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #8,985 of 9,526
Hi to all from the sunny Spain.

I think I´m a little late for this and I´m sure It may discussed before but I need to ask:

In my old Motorola Moto G (running Android 5) when I plugged the DAC (Topping D1 MkII) the sound couldn´t be controled by the phone (for example the volume). Now in my LG Android 7 I can manage the sound of the Topping from the Mobile (eq and volume it´s affected). It this change affect in the sound quality? Maybe it´s my ears, but I perceive better sound from the DAC connected to the Moto G than the LG. It is possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back