Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 9, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #8,942 of 9,526

Hi.

That's funny as I was looking at a Z3 Compact to buy.  If I flashed 4.4 back onto it would this do?

If it was running MM would I need to buy UAPP?

If you do a search someone else has posted on this (can't remember who though); they had to root the Z3C and then flash 4.4 to get proper USB audio control. The Z3 running that version of Android had its own USB drivers, later updates removed the drivers in favour of the standard Android drivers.

USB audio devices still work on it with MM, for bitperfect it needs UAPP.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #8,943 of 9,526
  If you do a search someone else has posted on this (can't remember who though); they had to root the Z3C and then flash 4.4 to get proper USB audio control. The Z3 running that version of Android had its own USB drivers, later updates removed the drivers in favour of the standard Android drivers.

USB audio devices still work on it with MM, for bitperfect it needs UAPP.

That may have been me....  I managed to flash stock Sony 4.4.4..took a bit of doing as always when you want to "downgrade" OS.
That gives Sony's "HD audio" USB driver which bypasses android audio and feeds bitperfect from all apps to USB

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #8,944 of 9,526
1) does sony experia m5 allow tidal/spotify offline to be saved to microsd card?

2) i understand tidal plays bit perfect with uapp. what are my options for spotify without upsampling? hard to believe there are none. would upsampling matter if fed to a quality external portable dac?

3) do all android 5 and above upsample so is it normal to use uapp and if so what other players are there that bypass upsampling android audio?

thank to all mk

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #8,945 of 9,526
1) does sony experia m5 allow tidal/spotify offline to be saved to microsd card?

2) i understand tidal plays bit perfect with uapp. what are my options for spotify without upsampling? hard to believe there are none. would upsampling matter if fed to a quality external portable dac?

3) do all android 5 and above upsample so is it normal to use uapp and if so what other players are there that bypass upsampling android audio?

thank to all mk

3. Depends of the device. Some are set to dynamic, others are set to a fixed rate.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #8,946 of 9,526
Hey guys,

So I am looking at getting a CM6331A based USB to SPDIF board / DAC and was wondering whether UAPP will be compatible with it?
I believe the Asus Xonar Essence One is based off the CM6331 (non A) chip and that is compatible.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #8,947 of 9,526
Hey guys,

So I am looking at getting a CM6331A based USB to SPDIF board / DAC and was wondering whether UAPP will be compatible with it?
I believe the Asus Xonar Essence One is based off the CM6331 (non A) chip and that is compatible.

I don't think it would be, as there are other USB SPDIF bridges that work with UAPP. Perhaps send Davy an email?

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #8,949 of 9,526
Does anyone know how to get an app that has direct access to a USB DAC (like UAPP or HF player) to release the USB port so that another app can access it (such as iplayer radio or Tidal)?  I find I have to restart the DAC (Mojo) and make sure I don't allow UAPP or HF player to access it to allow anything else to use it.
fyi I'm using a Xperia Z3C "downgraded" to 4.4.4 Kitkat (rooted stock)  to be able to use Sony's "Hi-res to USB"  which prevents android upsampling - improves things like Tidal locally stored files.... All in all this is an awesome portable rig!
just hopped on this thread. Awesome. I'm using a Sony Z3 rolled back to Android 4.4.4 as well, connected to dragonfly red, to Fiio e11. Awesome otg setup. I Use Cayin C5 be at home.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #8,950 of 9,526
That may have been me....  I managed to flash stock Sony 4.4.4..took a bit of doing as always when you want to "downgrade" OS.
That gives Sony's "HD audio" USB driver which bypasses android audio and feeds bitperfect from all apps to USB
have you notic d? my only issues with this setup, and it's not an issue if I'm solely using the Z3 as a dap, is that with Android 4.4.4, playing video audio through the dac isn't supported, as it plays fine for a sec, then volume lowers and bad artifact is heard throughout. I'm ok with that, seeing as I I purchased a separate dap, I wouldn't have access to video anyway. On another positive note, Z3 supports aptX and unlike some phones, the sound changing features, such as going from normal, to studio, and surround sound simulation actually don't sound half bad. Much better than my Samsung Galaxy S8, anyway. LOVE MY Z3

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #8,952 of 9,526
have you notic d? my only issues with this setup, and it's not an issue if I'm solely using the Z3 as a dap, is that with Android 4.4.4, playing video audio through the dac isn't supported, as it plays fine for a sec, then volume lowers and bad artifact is heard throughout. I'm ok with that, seeing as I I purchased a separate dap, I wouldn't have access to video anyway. On another positive note, Z3 supports aptX and unlike some phones, the sound changing features, such as going from normal, to studio, and surround sound simulation actually don't sound half bad. Much better than my Samsung Galaxy S8, anyway. LOVE MY Z3
I'm afraid I don't use it with video, so I don't kn ow immediately... i'll check next time I use it

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #8,953 of 9,526
I an using my new xduoo xd-05 with my Samsung s7. Can anyone tell me why the display being on would cause a clicking /popping noise in the audio through my DAC? It happens while streaming from google play (I also tried Spotify) , or with downloaded content from google play. It will click or pop in kind of a regular pattern. As soon as I lock the phone with the power button, it goes away! If I wake the screen, it comes back. I don't understand why the screen would have anything to do with the function of the usb output to a DAC? What other function wakes up when the screen is on?

I tried both my wifes and my s7 with the same result. I also tried two otg cables. If I use USB Audio Player Pro with a local file file it doesn't seem to do it. If I connect and stream from my laptop, it is fine.

I've only had this amp/DAC for a few days and it sounds phenomenal otherwise. I am assuming it is a Samsung issue, since it works fine via pc, but maybe there is something else I can try with the xduoo?

May 16, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #8,954 of 9,526
Hey all,

I recently upgraded my Samsung s6 to Samsung s8+ , and now when I connect my DAC (Oppo HA-2) the phone charges the DAC !

I get a notification "USB charging connected device" .. and it heavily drains my phone battery. Instead of using 5-10% per hour, its now using 30%+

I've got an OTG USB-C to Micro USB cable between the two ... is there any way I can restrict this so it doesn't charge my DAC, and simply sends the audio signal over it, like it did with my Samsung s6 and micro usb to micro usb ?

Thanks!

May 16, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #8,955 of 9,526
Maybe this will help...IDK

On my V20 (Android 7) I have options when I plug a usb connection.
I slide from the top to access system option and look for the USB connection properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back