Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #7,696 of 9,526

E18 with a Note 4

It pairs up with a Droid pretty easy. You would need Hiby (free) or UAPP or ONKYO player (both paid) to make sure your phone is letting the E18 do the converting

Are you saying that the E18 won't convert Youtube and Spotify?  If so, are there any dac/amp combos that will convert Youtube and Spotify from my Nexus 6?

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #7,697 of 9,526

how do you like the sound of the e18?

I roll with Mojo right now but still have the e18.

I own(ed) 3 FiiO devices. The e18 is the only one left. It plays 24/96 and has 280-320 mW @ 32 ohm if I remember correct?? Stage is typical FiiO. not too wide and not compact. I have owned a bunch of amp/dac combo's and the only 2 left are the e18 and the mojo.

In it's price range it's the boss...my opinion.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #7,698 of 9,526

I roll with Mojo right now but still have the e18.

I own(ed) 3 FiiO devices. The e18 is the only one left. It plays 24/96 and has 280-320 mW @ 32 ohm if I remember correct?? Stage is typical FiiO. not too wide and not compact. I have owned a bunch of amp/dac combo's and the only 2 left are the e18 and the mojo.

In it's price range it's the boss...my opinion.

Is the E18 comparable to Chor Mojo? It is $150 vs $400.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #7,699 of 9,526

Is the E18 comparable to Chor Mojo? It is $150 vs $400.

I bought my Mojo in Japan for 700 U.S.

My life before the Mojo was just fine and the Mojo came a long and sounds better and is more powerful. To me it is better in all manner but I am convinced my note 4 with the Mojo will kick the **** out of these folks pairing high end daps with the mojo making the 5,7,9,$1,000 DAP a slave/host that spits out binary data.

It is pure comedy.

So No, the e18 is not on the level of the Mojo in anything and most things are not so it has lots of company. I do like it for it's price and power and think as a first step into the hybrid smartphone/dedicated player world it is the best 1st item.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #7,700 of 9,526
I bought my Mojo in Japan for 700 U.S.

My life before the Mojo was just fine and the Mojo came a long and sounds better and is more powerful. To me it is better in all manner but I am convinced my note 4 with the Mojo will kick the **** out of these folks pairing high end daps with the mojo making the 5,7,9,$1,000 DAP a slave/host that spits out binary data.

It is pure comedy.

So No, the e18 is not on the level of the Mojo in anything and most things are not so it has lots of company. I do like it for it's price and power and think as a first step into the hybrid smartphone/dedicated player world it is the best 1st item.

I've heard only glowing reports about the Mojo.

I have an Oppo HA-2, which I like quite a bit. It's pairing nicely with the Galaxy S4.

Is the Mojo the next logical step for me, or is there another Android-friendly Dac/amp that's a big enough improvement over my Oppo, but less costly than the $600 Mojo?

My understanding is that I really need to jump up to the Mojo at double the price to see an appreciable improvement.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #7,701 of 9,526

I have an Oppo HA-2, which I like quite a bit. It's pairing nicely with the Galaxy S4.

Is the Mojo the next logical step for me, or is there another Android-friendly Dac/amp that's a big enough improvement over my Oppo, but less costly than the $600 Mojo?

My understanding is that I really need to jump up to the Mojo at double the price to see an appreciable improvement.

My time with the HA-2 was very limited so I could not say. Sorry. Some folks have been less than impressed like every item on Head Fi. I however think it is the apex of portable audio.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #7,702 of 9,526

Why do you feel it's necessary to upgrade if you are enjoying your oppo?? Just curious as I love it and feel no need to upgrade.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #7,703 of 9,526
Why do you feel it's necessary to upgrade if you are enjoying your oppo?? Just curious as I love it and feel no need to upgrade.

No, I'm just trying to become more knowledgeable. I won't be upgrading quite yet - I just bought a used Galaxy S4 to pair with it. It's working really well, much better than my HTC phone did.

I like to get to a point of diminishing returns with my gear. I think I'm there.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #7,704 of 9,526
  Some more analysis - I tried a Fiio DAC on the phone and there's no interference, so this suggests it's a software or cable issue (the Fiio uses a mini usb cable, the chord is a micro) which can both be fixed (probably).

I'll wait for the better OTG cable to see if that helps...

Updating this thread just in case anyone else is thinking of using this phone (Ulefone Paris) as a cheap option for a Mojo, I've still had no luck. So far I've tried a new cable, rooting and patching the OTG feature using "USB Host Chek" app, and still the interference persists.

Otherwise the phone is good (supports 200gb microsd and fiio DAC), just no Mojo support.

I've asked if anyone has more ideas on xda-developers and if I finally get it playing interference free then I'll report back how.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #7,705 of 9,526
After a long search I've found a Galaxy Note 4 for a good price. I consider this my 'final' upgrade from Note 3 unless Samsung ever choose to bring back the micro sd card slot and removable battery on another Galaxy Note. I'm still keeping one of my Note 3 though, I had two (because I'm weird).

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #7,706 of 9,526
After a long search I've found a Galaxy Note 4 for a good price. I consider this my 'final' upgrade from Note 3 unless Samsung ever choose to bring back the micro sd card slot and removable battery on another Galaxy Note. I'm still keeping one of my Note 3 though, I had two (because I'm weird).

Yeah I'll be keeping the 4 and skipping the 5, and/or any version that goes apple and restricts my opening up the hood options

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #7,707 of 9,526
Yeah I'll be keeping the 4 and skipping the 5, and/or any version that goes apple and restricts my opening up the hood options

Im interested if Samsung will bring these features back in thier Note 6, or remain set on this absurd mindset. It was two of the main reasons consumers bought a Samsung and they went and stripped thier devices.

"cue what were they thinking image"

I mean I'm sure they had some marketing strategy surrounding it but I'm dying to know if that backfired on them.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #7,708 of 9,526
Im interested if Samsung will bring these features back in thier Note 6, or remain set on this absurd mindset. It was two of the main reasons consumers bought a Samsung and they went and stripped thier devices.

"cue what were they thinking image"

I mean I'm sure they had some marketing strategy surrounding it but I'm dying to know if that backfired on them.

I think Samsung will, Samsung Mobile just got a new CEO, it won't happen the Galaxy S7 since it was under the old CEO,
but maybe by the summer Samsung phone's should come back with those feature.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #7,709 of 9,526
Rumour has it we'll see the return of SD slot and waterproofing for the S7.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #7,710 of 9,526
No, I'm just trying to become more knowledgeable. I won't be upgrading quite yet - I just bought a used Galaxy S4 to pair with it. It's working really well, much better than my HTC phone did.

I like to get to a point of diminishing returns with my gear. I think I'm there.

I prefer the sound of my Sony Z3c headphone out to that of the Mojo, so don't believe the hype. I'm still looking for a killer DAC though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back