Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,823 of 9,526

Here it is.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hiby.music

Great initiative, thanks.

Couldn't find in the play store(?), so downloaded the APK from the site instead.

Nexus 7 (2013) and iFi Nano iDSD DAC over USB OTG works, for 1 song.
Streaming from a Synology NAS over WiFi no problem, for 1 song.
It only plays one song and then stops, hitting the play button again just reports  "Select music first please" even with a song selected. No way to start playing again....
Folders and files (songs) are shown in random order and there are no options to play for example an entire album, a genre, a specific artist, shuffle, etc.?
Please keep up the good work and improving this app, thanks! 

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #5,825 of 9,526

Hi Danba,
Thank you for the good translation and posting my article.

Hi Sasaki,
It is due to the clarity of your article, as always. Thank you!

I think Android mixer does resample all the audio stream into 48kHz like Windows XP Kmixer.
What do you think?

It is a surprise to me that the Android media player framework of Android 5.0 Lollipop keeps perform 44.1 to 48 resampling, because the native USB audio of Android L Developer Preview can play 44.1kHz music files and output 44.1kHz PCM streams towards an AudioQuest DragonFly.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5010#post_10669296

I think we need a Mac AudioMidi like settings in Android to prevent the forced resample.

Generic system software like Mac OS or Android has to meet a lot of different requirements (mixer, ...).
Audiophile players like Audirvana music player for Mac OS X  could avoid to use the generic audio subsystem, because they can only focus on sound quality.
Like USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) or HibyMusic, they can interface directly with the USB host driver.

Anyway the native USB audio of Google is just the first implementation; it will be enhanced:
" This is the initial support.
I know there are more use cases and features that are not yet supported
(for example "audiophile" and multi-channel)."
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614#c1347

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #5,826 of 9,526
I also tried to playback music files on FLOW internal SSD via ES File explorer. But it failed. ES file explorer recognise FLOW as a external USB device and I can see an additional USB icon. However ES file explorer is not able to read the contents and error occurs.
FLOW SSD was formatted with exFAT so I formatted FLOW again with FAT32 but failed.. NTFS was the same.

Does anyone know a good replacement of ES file explorer? I need a OTG device mount feature and capable of audio file playback like ES file explorer.
I tried solid Explorer and X-plorer but both were not good.

How about using USB Audio Player PRO folder playback (i.e. "Local Folder")?

It seems that the Aurender Flow can include in one box: a USB hub, a USB hard drive, a power bank, a USB DAC and an amp.

Non-stop folder playback with USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): Music files stored on a 2TB portable hard drive
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4710#post_10544580

stock Galaxy Note 3 using UAPP >> battery-powered USB hub connected to a 2TB USB hard drive "WD My Passport" >> ODAC >> Neco Soundlab V3 amp >> Alpha Dog headphones

From left to right: Alpha Dog headphones, Neco V3 amp, ODAC, WD My Passport hard drive, Veho Pepple power bank, Galaxy Note 3
At the bottom: Belkin 4-port USB hub

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #5,827 of 9,526
I have several tablets
The E18 SEEMS TO WORK for all apps. Not just audio player pro.
FIIO X5, no joy, only works as a usb dac on my pc.
Nexus 7 2013 lollipop - works
Samsung galaxy tab s (sm-t700) kitkat - works

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #5,828 of 9,526

We will try to fix this issue and volume control will be added also, thanks!

Hello, fanoble, I understand you work with the Hiby developers. I have a question for them, will the app function with Cyanogenmod CM.11? 

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #5,829 of 9,526
Hello,

I have a question about Android Lollipop USB Audio.

When I plug my FiiO E7 in my Nexus5, I can ear the sound but I also can manage the volume from the phone. Does it mean that the amp of the phone is still used and not bypassed ?

Because previously, when I used my E7 with my Nexus7 and modified ROM, or with USB AUdio Recorder, I wasn't able to manage volume from the phone, just from the DAC.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5,830 of 9,526
I think you mean that the hardware volume keys of your Android 5.0 Lollipop-powered Nexus 5 can modify the volume of the active audio stream of a generic music player (stock music player, Neutron, Poweramp, ...) when driving your FiiO E7.

If it is the case or when the hardware volume keys of your FiiO E7 can control the volume of your headphones, the amp of your phone is not used.

Volume control can be carried out at a music player like USB Audio Player PRO / USB Audio Recorder PRO by multiplying the numerical value of the audio sample by a factor in general < 1.

Volume control can also be carried out at a USB DAC: The built-in volume controller of a USB DAC can be manipulated by USB audio-class-specific requests sent by the Android device.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #5,835 of 9,526

Users who are viewing this thread

Back