Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #5,806 of 9,526
I thought I would post a summary of my experiences of using a Galaxy Note 4 and Dragonfly v1.2 with a few questions:

My music library is 16bit or 24bit FLAC, I use a Lindy right angled OTG cable and run Android 4.4.4

When I Initially first used the dragonfly all my music would play at a very slow speed, like a 45rpm record playing at 33rpm making everything unlistenable. However this issue corrected itself with no intervention from myself and has not returned. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem and why it sorted itself?

App comparability:

-Native music player app works, however it is always outputting 24bit 96khz so some up sampling is happening here with 16bit files. The volume output is relatively low so there is no control of the hardware volume control in the dragonfly.

-Neutron app works the same as the native music player app and has the same sample rate and volume issues. 

-Deezer and Amazon music apps play but the music is unlistenable and distorted. Again the dragonfly is showing 24bit 96khz output so I assume this is some sort of sample rate issue.
I would expect Spotify and other apps to have the same playback problems, but i'm still testing this. Has anybody had any joy getting these apps to play properly?

-USB audio player pro works perfectly, adjusting the sample rate of the dragonfly depending on the source file, and controlling the hardware volume control giving full volume control. The only issue I have with this App is that the physical volume buttons on the phone do nothing to adjust the volume. Is there a setting than can fix this?

Hopefully this information is of use for people considering this hardware combination and somebody can shed some light on the problems I've not managed to get round.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #5,807 of 9,526

That is interesting. Is this a Samsung Galaxy issue, or is this a Hiby issue? Could a newer version of Hiby address this in your opinion?

As far as I understand, the volume control will be added in a next version of HibyMusic.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5760#post_11077600

I think it is rather a USB DAC issue: faulty volume control or controversial volume control descriptor/report.

By the way, what is your USB DAC?

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #5,808 of 9,526

As far as I understand, the volume control will be added in a next version of HibyMusic.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5760#post_11077600

I think it is rather a USB DAC issue: faulty volume control or controversial volume control descriptor/report.

By the way, what is your USB DAC?

I have two, the iFi iDSD nano (which has an analogue volume button, so it gives no problems) and the Geek OUt 450 (which now has no volume control now, with the new firmware). I like the GO best, so HIBY was a life saver for me, the only app that can actually initialize this DAC on my Samsung Galaxy SIII with Android 4.3 stock ROM.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #5,809 of 9,526
How about using USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) which has a volume control feature?

Apparently, the Geek Out 450 can now be driven by UAPP.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711267/light-harmonic-geek-out-em-1000-impressions-thread/1440#post_11054399

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #5,810 of 9,526
  How about using USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) which has a volume control feature?

Apparently, the Geek Out 450 can now be driven by UAPP.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711267/light-harmonic-geek-out-em-1000-impressions-thread/1440#post_11054399

In lollipop, Android 5.0. Not my Android 4.3. UAPP has never worked for me with Geek Out.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #5,811 of 9,526
It's weird, USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) and HibyMusic should interface with the same USB host driver on Android 4.3, and UAPP should be the same on Android 4.3 and on Android 5.0 Lollipop.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #5,815 of 9,526
Android 5.0 Lollipop-powered Google Nexus 9 & USB audio:
http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/409858044.html

Google native USB audio: Resampling!

44.1kHz music file > generic music player "Kamerton" running on Android 5.0-powered Nexus 9 > 48kHz PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> Aurender Flow USB DAC/amp

eXtream's User space USB audio: No resampling!

44.1kHz music file > USB Audio Player PRO running on Android 5.0-powered Nexus 9 > 44.1kHz PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> Aurender Flow USB DAC/amp

96kHz music file > USB Audio Player PRO running on Android 5.0-powered Nexus 9 (i.e. eXtream's User space USB audio) > 96kHz PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> Aurender Flow USB DAC/amp

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #5,817 of 9,526
  Anyone managed to have the Dragonfly 1.2 work with HibyMusic ?
I get a constant I/O Error, though the DAC is recognized by the app.

I'm getting the same error with the Dragonfly 1.2.
Both Stoner UD110 and UD120 work fine, after the initial jitters.
The fixed volume seems a bit lower than the USB APP, also.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #5,818 of 9,526
Hi Danba,
Thank you for the good translation and posting my article.

I think Android mixer does resample all the audio stream into 48kHz like Windows XP Kmixer.
What do you think?

I think we need a Mac AudioMidi like settings in Android to prevent the forced resample.

Android 5.0 Lollipop-powered Google Nexus 9 & USB audio:
http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/409858044.html

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #5,819 of 9,526
I also tried to playback music files on FLOW internal SSD via ES File explorer. But it failed. ES file explorer recognise FLOW as a external USB device and I can see an additional USB icon. However ES file explorer is not able to read the contents and error occurs.
FLOW SSD was formatted with exFAT so I formatted FLOW again with FAT32 but failed.. NTFS was the same.

Does anyone know a good replacement of ES file explorer? I need a OTG device mount feature and capable of audio file playback like ES file explorer.
I tried solid Explorer and X-plorer but both were not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back