Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #5,372 of 9,526

Dragonfly on Samsung Galaxy S5 most unstable

Dragonfly 1.2
Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 4.4.2
Micro to USB OTG cable from Hama, both 2.0 and 3.0
Apps: TuneIn, Spotify, UAPP and various specialized radio and videocasts
IE Grado Gr10, Grado R1, Koss Porta Pro

Symptom: sometimes it works (very fine) but mostly the sound is 'broken' and low sounding, as from a tape played much slower than normal.
Sometimes it helps to restart the smartphone, but not always. Sometimes, 3-4 restarts (with Dragonfly plugge in or after restart) remain unsuccessfull.

Dragonfly works fine on workstation.
Keybord works fine wiht OTG cable on phone.

Notifications:
- pluging OTG cable into phone, short notification USB connected
- pluging keybord into OTG cable: steady notification keybord connected (small symbol in status line)
- pluging Dragonfly into OTG cable: no notification
- pluging Dragonfly and OTG cable together into phone: short notification USB connected

Color of the Dragonfly while connecting: green for half a second then magenta.

Just now, after so much pluging in and out, works just fine with all mentioned apps, although the Dragonfly does still not appear in the notification bar. Success is just unpredictalbe and happens too seldom...

My hypothesis: the Dragonfly recognizes the GS5 as 24/92 capable and expects upsampled files, which the phone does not always deliver.
My expectation: that the Dragonfly waits for the file to settle to a standard (and internal clock). A configuration menu for the phone output would aslo introduce some flexibility.

Does somebody have an idea, how I could increase chances that the setup works as soon as I plug the DAC into the phone?

Reto

P.S. Reading this forum was already very helpful. Thanks to all.

In order to have a clear understanding of the problem, I think you should focus on testing your setup with UAPP because:
1. the USB audio soft driver is reputedly the best USB audio implementation (more precisely better than the Galaxy S5's native USB audio feature used by other music players like Spotify or stock music player of the S5)

2. UAPP doesn't perform any resampling:
16/44.1 music file > S5 using UAPP > 16/44.1 PCM stream >> DragonFly >> headphones
24/96 music file > S5 using UAPP > 24/96 PCM stream >> DragonFly >> headphones

3. the UAPP developer can be contacted.

"Make sure to connect your audio device [DragonFly] BEFORE starting USB Audio Player PRO." (Connecting the USB DAC to the Android device will trigger the activation of the USB host driver, then attached/used by the USB audio soft driver of UAPP).

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #5,373 of 9,526

I've got the Moto G and the E17 and it works completely fine with 24/48 

Thanks for confirming this. I just got a Moto and was curious to see if my Fiio would work. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #5,374 of 9,526
DAC that works with absolutely every Android smartphones , whether or not USB OTG ?

The Shanling DR2.1 (150$ / 120 €)

The Shanling DR2.1 is a Network player (DLNA/UPNP or Airplay) with standalone WIFI, including the very good DAC ESS Sabre 9023. 
Just download Bubbleupnp and stream music by wifi to the Shanling DR2.1. 

Smartphone + BubbleUPNP -> WIFI -> Shanling DR2.1 -> amplifier

A portable version including battery and jack 3.5 will be nice. 
atsmile.gif

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #5,375 of 9,526
Sony Z1 Compact > UAPP > short generic USB OTG cable + USB B type adapter * + ifi nano iDSD = works fine

* = 

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #5,378 of 9,526
h1f1add1cted:
Sony Z1 Compact > UAPP > short generic USB OTG cable + USB B type adapter * + ifi nano iDSD = works fine 

Hi,
Thanks for posting that info - I've just been reading up on the iFi Nano iDSD and seriously considering a purchase - ( I have the Xperia Z Ultra ). I wasn't aware that you can use USB 2 B to a USB 3 B slot, so that's worth knowing. What do you think of the iFi Nano - a good buy ?

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,382 of 9,526
  h1f1add1cted:
Hi,
Thanks for posting that info - I've just been reading up on the iFi Nano iDSD and seriously considering a purchase - ( I have the Xperia Z Ultra ). I wasn't aware that you can use USB 2 B to a USB 3 B slot, so that's worth knowing. What do you think of the iFi Nano - a good buy ?

Your Xperia Z Ultra are diretcly tested from iFi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-discussion-impression/825#post_10879528

And yes it was since long time a good buy in my HiFi inventory: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/13890#post_10896177

Compared to my previous FiiO X3 + nano iCAN a good upgrade in terms of soundstage, overall analog sound signature and details. And with the coming Android L OS and nativ USB audio support we are on the winner side
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,383 of 9,526
  Anyone know if usb hubs are typically compatible with DACs? I would love to host a large flash drive OTG and export it through the same OTG hub to my usb DAC

I've used a powered USB HUB to connect various Android phones as well as an Apple Touch 5G to my Bifrost Uber USB DAC.

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #5,384 of 9,526
bobthedespot:
 Anyone know if usb hubs are typically compatible with DACs? I would love to host a large flash drive OTG and export it through the same OTG hub to my usb DAC

I can also confirm that I have successfully used a couple of USB dacs with a powered hub - sources: Samsung Note 8 tablet, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Toshiba Encore windows 8.1 tablet. At the same time, I also had a portable HDD connected to the hub on which the music files are stored ( mostly lossless so too big to go on the phone/tablets. )

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #5,385 of 9,526
h1f1add1cted:
Compared to my previous FiiO X3 + nano iCAN a good upgrade in terms of soundstage, overall analog sound signature and details. And with the coming Android L OS and nativ USB audio support we are on the winner side
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the links - I like the look of your rig !

As for Android L working natively with USB dacs - I'll believe that when I see ( or hear ) it
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back