Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #332 of 9,526
Does anyone know how all the upcoming Windows 8 phones will fare? I'm thinking that it might have more potential than Android, but again I'm not sure about this since I'm new to this thread. Any thoughts? Looksl ike Samsung has their Ativa S coming up along with HTC 8x /Nokia 920. God I hope it's just a straight up USB connect to my E17. That would be a dream come true.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #333 of 9,526
Quote:
Does anyone know how all the upcoming Windows 8 phones will fare? I'm thinking that it might have more potential than Android, but again I'm not sure about this since I'm new to this thread. Any thoughts? Looksl ike Samsung has their Ativa S coming up along with HTC 8x /Nokia 920. God I hope it's just a straight up USB connect to my E17. That would be a dream come true.

I think it is very unlikely in the WP8 handsets for this to be possible. Nokia would be the best hope, since they have regularly had USB OTG in their handsets for longer than anyone else, including USB audio (rather limited implementation previously though, the E17 doesn't work with the N8/808).

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #334 of 9,526
VentureCraft sees potential in Android & standard USB audio.
VentureCraft delays the release date of its latest headphone amplifier Go-Dap X in order to modify it so that it can interwork with the Samsung Galaxy S3.

"Go-Dap X releasing date in stores will be on Sep. 25th due to this Galaxy S3 modification."
http://www.venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/index.php

stock Samsung Galaxy S3 > digital audio stream >> short USB OTG cable from VentureCraft >> Go-Dap X USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #335 of 9,526
Cool! Great news DanBa.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #337 of 9,526
Quote:
This thread is awesome... Thinking about getting a S3 to pair up with my E17.
biggrin.gif
 Subbed!

Don't is won't work, glitch in the descriptor and it needs more power then the phone can supply. Wait for E18, designed for android.

Quote:
I connected an HRT Music Streamer DAC to my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet now that the Galaxy 10.1 has Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)  and using a "USB Sound Test Tool App" I was able to get sound out of it.

Not sure how to use an outboard DAC without the "USB Sound Test Tool App" - there don't seem to be settings anywhere in Android or any of the audio apps I've (briefly) looked at to "route" sound output to the USB DAC. I'm sure this will all be clarified in the fullness of time....

In other words, I don't see a way to select the USB DAC as the audio output device as default or for a given app or anything.  Maybe there is an audio player app that I need to be using?

(By the way, since the HRT Streamer DAC is USB powered, I needed to connect it via a powered USB hub; the tablet will not power it and it will tell you so.)

Try under Dock settings, thats were it is in my S3 anyway.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #338 of 9,526
I'll probably be getting the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Even if it doesn't have a Wolfson. It has Jellybean so I will guess that means that all of the DACs mentioned in this thread as working with the SIII will work with the Note II. You would think since it will have the Exynos quad core, and with it  being able to use LTE, that Samsung would only have the one version of this phone.  But that wouldn't preclude them from omitting the Wulf on the phone.  Apparently it is a GSM phone.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #339 of 9,526
Wolfson confirmed by Supercurio for the Note II already I believe. 

I hope that it has at least the same USB DAC support as the S3, and I expect that it will (although you never know...).

I'm getting a Note 2 at release, so will test my gear with it.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #340 of 9,526
Gentlemen, I have 2 little questions:  

- f for example I use a Samsung S3 as DAP, will I be able to split my "big" 100 Go Music library between the 64Go Internal memory and the 64 Go MicroSD that is in the MicroSD slot ?  Will the player "see" the complete 100 Go library as ONE single library ? 

- What is the "best" player that you recommend (for looseless files) ? 

thanks

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #342 of 9,526
1st question, the answer is yes, all will be merged together. I like that on Android, it let's the user use cheaper options. Sdcard versus builtin nand memory

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #344 of 9,526
Neutron seems very powerful !  thank you for the info.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #345 of 9,526
Samsung Galaxy S III & Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D miniature desktop headphone amplifier with USB DAC:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=410941392302962&id=164588276945555
http://noblehifi.blogspot.fr/2012/07/epiphany-acoustics-ehp-02d-review.html
http://hifipig.com/epiphany-acoustics-ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/heaphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

Samsung Galaxy S III > digital audio out >> USB OTG cable >> Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D (i.e. ODAC + O2 combo) >> Denon AH-D2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back