Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #2,988 of 9,526
I just received my HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC. I ordered it on 8/15 and it arrived here in San Diego in today's mail. 15 days.

I am using with a Sprint Galaxy S4 (quad version).

It is really plug-and-play. I just plugged it into the micro-USB connector and my headphones in and all the audio from the phone is routed out to the headphone jack of the HiFimeDIY!

I have only had a chance to listen for a few minutes, but doing a quick comparison between the built-in headphone output and the HiFimeDIY DAC on my modded Koss Porta-Pros, to me, there is a night and day difference!

The Sabre DAC just sounds so much better all the way around. The highs are much more detailed and clean. The lows are WAY better! 

I will listen further and try with some better headphones. I will try my Heir 8.A's and also my Stax 407 rig later.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,989 of 9,526
Quote:
I just received my HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC. I ordered it on 8/15 and it arrived here in San Diego in today's mail. 15 days.

I am using with a Sprint Galaxy S4 (quad version).

It is really plug-and-play. I just plugged it into the micro-USB connector and my headphones in and all the audio from the phone is routed out to the headphone jack of the HiFimeDIY!

I have only had a chance to listen for a few minutes, but doing a quick comparison between the built-in headphone output and the HiFimeDIY DAC on my modded Koss Porta-Pros, to me, there is a night and day difference!

The Sabre DAC just sounds so much better all the way around. The highs are much more detailed and clean. The lows are WAY better! 

I will listen further and try with some better headphones. I will try my Heir 8.A's and also my Stax 407 rig later.

Nice. How loud do your headphones get compared to the built-in headphone jack?

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,990 of 9,526
Quote:

Nice. How loud do your headphones get compared to the built-in headphone jack?

The Koss PortaPro's are not very sensitive (60 Ohms), so on both the built-in and the HiFimeDIY are at full volume for a relatively OK listening level. But it also depends on the files being played. 

With my Heir 8.A CIEMs, the built-in audio is about twice as loud at the HiFimeDIY. I am surprised that the HiFimeDIY isn't louder. My CIEM's are pretty sensitive. Still, I can get decent listening levels but I have to set the output to 100%.

I have to qualify that I am using "processed" audio files that are recorded at a lower level. So with commercial audio files off iTunes, I am guessing I wouldn't need things turned up so loud.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,991 of 9,526
Quote:
The Koss PortaPro's are not very sensitive (60 Ohms), so on both the built-in and the HiFimeDIY are at full volume for a relatively OK listening level. But it also depends on the files being played. 

With my Heir 8.A CIEMs, the built-in audio is about twice as loud at the HiFimeDIY. I am surprised that the HiFimeDIY isn't louder. My CIEM's are pretty sensitive. Still, I can get decent listening levels but I have to set the output to 100%.

I have to qualify that I am using "processed" audio files that are recorded at a lower level. So with commercial audio files off iTunes, I am guessing I wouldn't need things turned up so loud.

The DAC is supposed to be used with an amp. It is not intended to be used alone, but it works in a pinch with sensitive headphones.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,992 of 9,526
Quote:
The DAC is supposed to be used with an amp. It is not intended to be used alone, but it works in a pinch with sensitive headphones.

That's right. I forgot about that:
Output levels:
Open 2.2Vrms
4.7Kohm 2.1Vrms
1.8Kohm 1.9Vrms
510ohm 1.5Vrms
330ohm 1.3Vrms
30ohm 1Vrms

But the idea of carrying an amp seems way too big with such a tiny DAC. I really like the idea of being able to carry the DAC in a small case with my CIEM's.

Well, at least it gets just loud enough for me without an amp. I better not try an amp, so I won't know how much better it can sound!

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #2,993 of 9,526
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pick one up for my 2013 Nexus 7 and see how it goes.

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2,994 of 9,526
Quote:

If the SII allows USB OTG without any issues and provides power, it should possibly work (with android 4.2.2+). The key lies in having android 4.2 or higher.

My Nexus 4 doesn't work directly, because it cannot provide power to it. I'm waiting on an OTG y-cable which I believe should allow it to work just like the Nexus 7 (with a USB OTG kernel).

I've installed Android 4.2.2... :)
Quote:

Quote:

I will be getting a number of HiFiMeDIY DACs and I will be testing them with the S2. My S2, a standard i9100 as far as I can tell, works well with OTG on kernel 4.1.2.

Mine is i9100g, so maybe it also works...

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,995 of 9,526
Like the upcoming small USB DAC/amp Light Harmonic GEEK, the Resonessence Labs Herus is able to process digital music files in all available digital formats in PCM, DXD, and DSD.

"Herus specs to come soon but it will output about 2.4Vrms at full volume so with a 1/4 phono to RCA would make a great pocket DAC."
https://twitter.com/resonessence

"Also, tried out USB Audio Recorder Pro with my Galaxy Note II hooked up to my Resonessence Concero and it does appear to work."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2715#post_9653008

DXD encoded music file > USB Audio Recorder PRO on Xperia Z > USB audio out >> M2Tech hiFace DAC

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667350/m2tech-hiface-dac-32-384-impressions#post_9620692

"DXD is not DSD (direct stream digital, one bit recording).  DXD is a PCM format that is a very high sampling rate of 352.8MHz / 24bit.
Some labels, like 2L, have chosen to record in the DXD format and release in DSD.  This allow for more editing that is common to PCM.  DSD as a "container" for DXD is a very suitable solution for delivering files to end users/music lovers."  
http://dsd-guide.com/faq/what-dxd-it-dsd#.UiI6CdL0FTk

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,996 of 9,526
I wonder if some Android-based PMP will get any love one day. Obviously, most of the Android devices are phones or tablets, but if I were to chose a transport based on hardware (and price), I'd much rather have something along the lines of Cowon Z2.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #2,997 of 9,526
From an Android USB Audio insider who is involved in the implementation of Android USB Audio at Sony Mobile:
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/andraudio/2013-May/000833.html
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/andraudio/2013-August/000882.html
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/andraudio/2013-August/000880.html

""Currently, there is no official support for ordinary USB audio devices in Android at all. So you simply can't say that USB audio on Android is inherently bad. It's non-existent :wink: (It is of course for those very few devices that can handle simple USB DACs. But it's nothing official.)"

Right. Although I think support for USB audio output through Android Open Accessories (i.e. host-mode USB audio accessories) is mandatory, or at least encouraged starting with Jellybean."

"When it comes to device-mode USB audio accessories (which includes most headsets and DACs you can buy today) there's no official support or requirement."

"But Qualcomm has support for these on their recent platforms, and with their dominant position on the market that covers a lot of current and future Android phones. The design I described is the one they've implemented.

If you want to know the reasons for this design; don't ask me - the idea is not mine. I'm only describing what I've observed."

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #3,000 of 9,526
I know this is kind of pointless, but AK100(as USB DAC) doesn't work with stock GS3. GS3 did recognize something though. It wouldn't play music through it's speakers once AK100 was plugged in. I think it might work with USB ARP, but I haven't tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back