Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 10, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,852 of 9,526
I'd put money on the fact that that it'll be able to output 24/192 from the 3.5 headphone jack. LG has to think about the average consumer here and how to best market to them. WE may be willing to buy/run an external DAC but the majority of consumers would not.

Sent from Beanstown, USA.

I don't see why these two options are mutually exclusive. Clearly, if you install a 24/ 192 DAC into your phone, you seemingly have all you need to enable digital out of such sound, in addition to regular phone jack output.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2,854 of 9,526
Want to run this by the forum for comments. I am thinking Xperia TL, OTG, USB HUB(4 PORT), HIFIMEDIY DAC, SR71A. The DAC is plugged into one of the ports on the hub, AND an external battery phone charger(Lithium Ion, 5v, 2200ma battery) to another port on the hub, to help power the DAC and prevent excess drain on the phone battery. The batteries are available at NewEgg, etc.  @SV_huMMer, used your idea of the generic hub to fool the phone into thinking no excess current draw, thanks. Will plugging the battery to the hub cause any problems? I am not a jogger, or wanting to carry this around, just something to take camping, upstairs to bed,etc. Thanks, satwilson

This will not work! Devices plugged into USB hub regular ports cannot provide power, they can only draw it!!! To provide power, you need a hub that really does have an external power connector, but normally such connector would not be a USB plug, but rather a pin-ring two-pole power jack.

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2,855 of 9,526
Quote:
Hey guys, 

here's some Android Phone news you might be interested in:

This caught my eye. Does not say what DAC chip it will have but still interesting:

The G2 also includes a 13-megapixel camera with optical image stabilization, 16GB or 32GB of on-board storage, a 3,000mAh battery, and enhanced audio capabilities. LG states that the new flagship is the first smartphone to utilize 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback, which is said to create studio-quality sound.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/lg-unveils-high-powered-and-uniquely-designed-g2-smartphone

The unternational version do NOT have MicroSD card, which is a very limiting factor with HighRes music files ( how many 24/192 khz files will fit in the 32 Gb memory !!) but... there is a KOREAN Version of the G2 that offer MicroSD (and a removeable battery):  
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,856 of 9,526
Quote:
Hey guys, 

here's some Android Phone news you might be interested in:

This caught my eye. Does not say what DAC chip it will have but still interesting:

The G2 also includes a 13-megapixel camera with optical image stabilization, 16GB or 32GB of on-board storage, a 3,000mAh battery, and enhanced audio capabilities. LG states that the new flagship is the first smartphone to utilize 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback, which is said to create studio-quality sound.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/lg-unveils-high-powered-and-uniquely-designed-g2-smartphone

The international version do NOT have MicroSD card, which is a very limiting factor indeed with HighRes music files ( how many 24/192 khz files will fit in the 32 Gb memory !!) but...

there is a KOREAN Version of the G2 that offer MicroSD (and a removeable battery):  
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #2,858 of 9,526
Anyone know when that new iBasso D-Zero SE will be available here in the states? I don't see it listed on their website.

Is the only difference the Sabre DAC chip or did they make some other changes?

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,860 of 9,526
Quote:
This will not work! Devices plugged into USB hub regular ports cannot provide power, they can only draw it!!! To provide power, you need a hub that really does have an external power connector, but normally such connector would not be a USB plug, but rather a pin-ring two-pole power jack.

Thanks for the reply seemed rather unwieldy to. However after more testing, I found the current draw from phone battery acceptable. I charged the phone to 100%, played music for 3 hours, and the battery went to 75%, which is fine for me. This is with my test setup: Xperia TL>OTG cable>USB hub>AGD NFB-12>ZMF T50RP's. I have ordered the HIFIMEDIY mini Sabre DAC, asynchronous version. Hopefully the current draw will be about the same as test setup, then I am good to go. I have both Neutron and Winamp installed as players, and both work fine. I am somewhat surprised but pleased the TL outputs USB audio out, as the Sony Xperia support website lists only the Z as USB audio out capable. satwilson

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #2,862 of 9,526
Quote:
In a way absolute off-topic BUT:
Are there any other operating systems than Android (>4.1) that supports usb dac/amp?
Fanx

i'm pretty sure some version of iOS/iTouch/iPhone supports it too. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,864 of 9,526
Are there any other operating systems than Android (>4.1) that supports usb dac/amp?
Fanx

iOs does, but in Apple's very special way (hit-and-miss with Camera Connection Kit on older 30-pin devices, or a dedicated iOs-ready DAC).

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,865 of 9,526
Quote:
Fanx

My stock Galaxy S3 is powered by Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and works with ODAC USB DAC.

So far, Google has very likely no idea about high dimensions music devices based on USB DAC, but Android will very likely have a big market share in this area thanks to the compliance with the open standards: standard USB (USB OTG, USB host …), free and open source Linux kernel (USB audio driver for ALSA …), free and open source Android.

"Well, the USB Audio issue feels like it could've belonged at LG, or Asus or whoever the maker of each specific device happens to be.
It's the OEMs and platform vendors that actually implement the USB Audio support (I happened to be involved in this when I was at Sony Mobile).
Google (as of Android 4.1) essentially just provides some of the higher-level mechanisms for detection of USB Audio accessories, while the OEM / platform vendor fills in the blanks. Those blanks can either be very small if you only want audio output at a fixed sample rate, or they can grow quite big if you want more features like recording, voice calls, etc.
You could argue that Google should provide a complete basic solution for USB Audio, but that's not the setup today."
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/andraudio/2013-May/000833.html

Hopefully, things change.
The Google issue 24614 "Add support for USB Audio" has been switched to "Assigned".
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back