Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #1,966 of 9,526
According to the latest compatibility list on page 130, USB DAC can work with stock Motorola Razr Maxx HD using the USB Audio Recorder PRO, available on Google Play store.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1935

There is a trial version.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,967 of 9,526
Thanks for the quick reply.

The background story is that my trusty J3 busted on me last week so meanwhile I'm mobilizing with my phone (which I'm really disappointed with). I'm thinking of getting a portable DAC/AMP to hook up with it but I don't want end up with an unusable $100-200 component in case the phone can't communicate with the DACs.

I was talking about the older RAZR. Droid razr and droid razr MAXX a.k.a. XT910/912. Motorola's equivalent of the SGS2. HD is the newer, SGS3 equivalent ones.
Search queries here came up with nothing and search engines only come up with car dock experiments and not DACs or sound cards so I thought it was worth a shot.

Also, I don't really seem to catch what the limitation for driving an external DAC through the USB is. Hardware? Kernel? Rom?

Cheers.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,968 of 9,526
. Hardware:
Several phones don’t have the USB OTG hardware components, so that they could not act as USB host.
They can only operate as USB peripheral; they can’t work with standard USB DACs that only operate as USB peripheral.

. Kernel:
Several phones don’t have a complete USB host driver, so that the USB Audio Recorder PRO app, that includes a USB audio soft-driver, can’t use the necessary USB service to drive a USB DAC.

Several phones don’t have a USB audio driver, so that music players using the Android media player framework can’t forward a PCM stream to USB DAC.

Several phones have a perfectible USB enumeration that stops interacting with USB DAC at the slightest obstacle.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,969 of 9,526
I haven't found any information about the Samsung Galaxy S3s' LTE enabled twin brother: the S3 GT-I9305 in this thread.
I received mine last week, and did a little OTG cable DIY this evening, and I'm really happy that it works :D

Tested with both my E7 and Odac (Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D, for what it's worth), and both work.

Test setup 1:
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 playing FLAC using Poweramp2 > DIY OTG cable > Fiio E7 > Westone UM3X

Test setup 2:
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 playing FLAC using Poweramp2 > DIY OTG cable > Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D > Audio Technica ES-10

I hope it will work with my iBasso D2+ too...as it can do Line out, which would be good for hooking up to my car audio system. (And the D2+ would see some use again as I still can't get it to work on my Ultrabook :/)

Update: iBasso D2+ works too :)

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,971 of 9,526
Got some more listening time with the PCSTEP today... Very, very impressive. The words "clean" and "transparent" kept coming to mind while listening. I was initially a bit miffed by the use of a 9V battery instead of a built-in rechargeable battery like everything else, but now that I've been able to listen to it extensively for many hours while travelling and being stuck on the side of the highway (long story), I find myself much more appreciative of the additional battery life this give me. I don't want to say too much more before I have time to sit down and do a more detailed examination, but this thing has a ludicrously low noise floor, which I imagine is one of the factors that leads to the clarity of the sound. 

So far, a BIG thumbs up to Jan and company 
size]

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,972 of 9,526
Quote:
Got some more listening time with the PCSTEP today... Very, very impressive. The words "clean" and "transparent" kept coming to mind while listening. I was initially a bit miffed by the use of a 9V battery instead of a built-in rechargeable battery like everything else, but now that I've been able to listen to it extensively for many hours while travelling and being stuck on the side of the highway (long story), I find myself much more appreciative of the additional battery life this give me. I don't want to say too much more before I have time to sit down and do a more detailed examination, but this thing has a ludicrously low noise floor, which I imagine is one of the factors that leads to the clarity of the sound. 

So far, a BIG thumbs up to Jan and company 
size]

Any comments yet on it vs the Apex Glacier?

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,973 of 9,526
Quote:
I haven't found any information about the Samsung Galaxy S3s' LTE enabled twin brother: the S3 GT-I9305 in this thread.
I received mine last week, and did a little OTG cable DIY this evening, and I'm really happy that it works :D

Thanks for the heads up.  Enjoy the LTE and extra gig of RAM over the i9300.  And if you decide you hate Touchwiz, there's now a build of Paranoid 3.15 for the i9305.  I wonder if Jack Norris' excellent USB audio patch would work with it?

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,976 of 9,526
I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere but I haven't been able to find it after considerable searching.  

I have a Galaxy Note I (SGH-I717D) and a Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.  I understand that the Note is not capable of sending USB-Audio under ICS.  I have read that Jelly Bean supports USB-Audio but there is some doubt as to whether the Note's version of Jelly Bean will support USB-Audio.  Does anyone here know for certain whether Jelly Bean on Note will support USB-Audio such that I will be able to use my UHA-6S.MKII's DAC directly, bypassing the Yamaha DAC that is on-board my Note?  I know that some parts of the world, and some ROM users are already running Jelly Bean on their Note(s); could anyone here verify whether USB-Audio is working or not?  

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

- BriX

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,977 of 9,526
Quote:
Nice job, you can now start a cable company, I bet many would but one from you if it is priced right
wink.gif

Possible to use right angle connector on both ends to save space?

I Wish... Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choice when it comes to micro & mini usb connectors for DIY. And even less when you want right angle connectors. There are a few available, but on most I saw, the housing is so massive they hardly offer any advantage over regular straight plugs.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #1,978 of 9,526
 I Wish... Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choice when it comes to micro & mini usb connectors for DIY. And even less when you want right angle connectors. There are a few available, but on most I saw, the housing is so massive they hardly offer any advantage over regular straight plugs.

Thanks for the info. Neat job!

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,979 of 9,526
hello,

has someone got advice about the ESI DR. dac nano with android phones?
I can't get it to work with an xperia z, got the power consumption error message when i plug it.
i have try this but with no luck

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29613281
"[size=13.333333015441895px]If you're rooted, you need to do something like:[/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px][/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px] [size=11.333333015441895px] Code:[/size]

Code:
 echo 1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1/bConfigurationValue
[/size]

[size=13.333333015441895px]in the shell. this is on ICS, and the device number (1-1 in this case) may vary depending on what you've plugged in, etc. this will (likely) force the phone to configure the device, even though it doesn't want to. Just remember that forcing the configuration may cause bad things to happen. Don't blame me [/size]
size]
[size=13.333333015441895px]Diagnosis: if you're in the shell, run dmesg and look for something like this:"[/size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #1,980 of 9,526
Hi,
I connected the Galaxy SIII to my CA Dacmagic Plus and it works only when using USB Audio Recorder Pro. It doesn't work with Folder Play or any other player app. Also developers stating that USB Audio Recorder Pro is much more for recording instead of playing music collections. Do you see any other opprrtunity for using a similar driver Audio Recorder is using but having a more user frendly app for playing music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back