Android: Neutron Music Player
Mar 19, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #1,261 of 1,375
Writing not very helpful comment, but perhaps someone will see in future and can help with orientation.

I think it is something connected with the Android version and application restrictions boys.
I have Neutron on few devices and i see the Hi-Res Bluetooth option under Generic Driver on all, except on one with Android 4.4.
On the ones with 9 and 11 appears. Don't have his exact device, but Samsung Tablet yes and on it the Hi-Res Bluetooth option is there.

This phone perhaps is with Android 13 ?

I think is best to write to Neutron Developer, yes. Be sure to write him what Android is and exact model of the phone.

What you can try is open Settings on the phone, search for "developer options" and in the list there find "Bluetooth audio codec",check what available Bluetooth codecs are there. Should see all listed - SBC, AAC, Aptx, Aptx HD, LDAC and whatever else there is. If you don't see the "developer options", go to phone settings, then "about phone" (at the bottom of the settings screen). Enter it and then find and tap 5-6 times quick on "build number". Used to be that way. And then change the codecs while the Fiio is connected. Try some different ones and see if the Fiio shows that different one is playing. For example if you select AptX in the developer options of the phone, AptX should be displayed on the Fiio screen. If LDAC is selected on the phone, LDAC should be displayed on the Fiio and so on.

I see on the previous page his screenshot shows LDAC on the Fiio, which to me means the phone has detected the best possible codec that the Fiio supports and no need to worry. It is playing with the highest possible quality.

For the question if there is sound difference - yes, there is. But only compared to SBC codec. You don't want to use SBC codec (the effect is like listening MP3 160kbps vs more. It does not sound that bad, but it is noticable for sure compare to the others). AptX and the others are good enough. If the Bluetooth range is short with LDAC (or the battery life), you can use AptX. Generally though, the Bluetooth is lower quality than using USB Cable and as Kentajalli said. With this Fiio you want to use LDAC, is what is best with i guess, but AptX and the others will be fine as well. Just avoid SBC.

The image is from the internet, i don't know if it looks exactly like that on Android 13, but these are the options that one want to check.

bluetooth-audio-ldac-codec-to-best-quality.png

Yes, I have the same settings and I have done both.
My phone is Galaxy S23 Ultra, Android 13. Maybe I should email the developer about the problem.

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,263 of 1,375
Question about Neutron as UPnP renderer: I use Neutron as an UPnP endpoint, controlled/served by LMS+UPnP/DLNA Bridgge+Material Skin. In the Neutron app the previous and next buttons normally do exactly that. However, when using it via UPnP they become fast backward/forward buttons. Any clue why? Would love to have previous/next functionality back :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,265 of 1,375
Does anyone else have an issue with imported playlists? The other apps I have installed (Poweramp and UAPP) import and play playlists just fine but Neutron seems unable to play them.
I think, with Neutron Player, you probably have to edit with notepad and change all "\" with "/" in the playlist .. that's all.

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #1,266 of 1,375
I think, with Neutron Player, you probably have to edit with notepad and change all "\" with "/" in the playlist .. that's all.

That's true - since I use some Linux shell scripts to create my Playlist files (by searching the meta data of the music tracks). The scripts (which run in Cygwin on Windows, or directly on Linux) do output the paths using the Linux "/" convention.
Neutron Player imports them without any issue.

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,267 of 1,375
I don't have this problem, there are no backslashes.

This is how imported playlist entries appear:
#EXT-X-RATING:0
external_sd1/Music/plaid/the_digging_remed/11_-_Plaid_-_The_Digging_Remedy_-_Held.flac

And this is how playlist entries look when generated by Neutron:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:296, Lil Wayne - I'm Me

#EXTALB:Tha Carter III (Disc 2)
afs://content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/external_sd1:MUSIC/lil_wayne/tha_carter_iii/bonus_disc/03._Lil_Wayne_-_Tha_Carter_III_(Target_Bonus_Disc)_-_Im_Me.flac

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,268 of 1,375
So I have no idea.
I generate my playlists as .m3u8 files with foobar2000 and they looks like this inside as a sample

#
../Metal Grunge/A Perfect Circle/Eat The Elephant/01. Eat The Elephant.flac
../Metal Grunge/A Perfect Circle/Eat The Elephant/02. Disillusioned.flac
../Metal Grunge/A Perfect Circle/Eat The Elephant/07. By And Down The River.flac

Sorry if I can't help..

Mar 25, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,269 of 1,375
I don't have this problem, there are no backslashes.

This is how imported playlist entries appear:
#EXT-X-RATING:0
external_sd1/Music/plaid/the_digging_remed/11_-_Plaid_-_The_Digging_Remedy_-_Held.flac

And this is how playlist entries look when generated by Neutron:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:296, Lil Wayne - I'm Me

#EXTALB:Tha Carter III (Disc 2)
afs://content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/external_sd1:MUSIC/lil_wayne/tha_carter_iii/bonus_disc/03._Lil_Wayne_-_Tha_Carter_III_(Target_Bonus_Disc)_-_Im_Me.flac

Which device and software was used to create your Playlists?
Which device are you running Neutron on?

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #1,271 of 1,375
Some have been made on the Sony NW A55 but play just fine on UAPP and Poweramp. Others were made on Poweramp on the Shanling M3U.

Neutron is running on the Shanling M3U.

It's a bit odd that the folder name on the external_sd1 appears to change from "Music" to "MUSIC" in the path to the files, in the Neutron generated Playlist.
Does Neutron generate any errors when you try to play a Playlist, or does it just silently fail?

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #1,272 of 1,375
It's a bit odd that the folder name on the external_sd1 appears to change from "Music" to "MUSIC" in the path to the files, in the Neutron generated Playlist.
Does Neutron generate any errors when you try to play a Playlist, or does it just silently fail?
Silent fail.

MUSIC is right, that's the correct name of the folder that the files are in, not Music.

I've edited one of my playlists to resemble that made from within Neutron. It works now but I'd prefer if I didn't have to do that.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #1,273 of 1,375
On Samsung devices (One UI 5.1/Android 13) when I leave the player running to listen to music, after a minute the screen shuts off as it normally would (as per my display settings) but a few minutes later the music itself shuts down. When I wake the device up, the music starts playing again.

Normal player behavior should be that music keeps on playing indefinitely even after the screen shuts off. I tested this on Samsung Music and Poweramp.

I'm listening on wired headphones that's connected to the device via USB DAC. Any reason why Neutron Player behaves this way?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,274 of 1,375
On Samsung devices (One UI 5.1/Android 13) when I leave the player running to listen to music, after a minute the screen shuts off as it normally would (as per my display settings) but a few minutes later the music itself shuts down. When I wake the device up, the music starts playing again.

Normal player behavior should be that music keeps on playing indefinitely even after the screen shuts off. I tested this on Samsung Music and Poweramp.

I'm listening on wired headphones that's connected to the device via USB DAC. Any reason why Neutron Player behaves this way?

Have you checked the "Power Saver" settings in Android for the Neutron player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back