Android: Neutron Music Player
May 3, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #886 of 1,375
Um Follow Source Frequency is on. I had mentioned 44100 isn't listed under it.
Have you enabled Hi-res driver under audio hardware - -> generic driver

May 3, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #888 of 1,375
Hi everyone. I am new here and not so an audiophile so I have a question. I read most of the thread and did not find an answer.

So, I've started to use Neutron and mostly listening 16bit Flac files, but firstly changed pitch via Audacity program on computer to 432 Hz which I prefer.

My phone is ASUS ZenFone 4 and Hi Res
output is enabled (Qualcomm internal DAC) and sound is better and more detailed than Pulsar.

I've seen a lot of options in settings and wondering about sampling, it says that is playing at 44100 Hz and the option to follow source frequency is enabled.

I am wondering is the Neutron make changes is songs frequency to 44100 or it will stay the same as the song is, with changed pitch to have A=432 Hz.

I am noob here, not familiar with audio a lot and hoping that the question is clear.

May 3, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #889 of 1,375
Hi everyone. I am new here and not so an audiophile so I have a question. I read most of the thread and did not find an answer.

So, I've started to use Neutron and mostly listening 16bit Flac files, but firstly changed pitch via Audacity program on computer to 432 Hz which I prefer.

My phone is ASUS ZenFone 4 and Hi Res
output is enabled (Qualcomm internal DAC) and sound is better and more detailed than Pulsar.

I've seen a lot of options in settings and wondering about sampling, it says that is playing at 44100 Hz and the option to follow source frequency is enabled.

I am wondering is the Neutron make changes is songs frequency to 44100 or it will stay the same as the song is, with changed pitch to have A=432 Hz.

I am noob here, not familiar with audio a lot and hoping that the question is clear.

Neutron is not making changes to your music.

Whatever you’ve done in Audacity to change the standard tuning of your music down 8Hz, has nothing to do with the “follow source frequency” option in Nuetron. I suggest you read this page from Audacity’s Manual.

Now Neutron itself does have pitch and tempo options to experiment with, & you would not have to be altering your source files in the first place.

May 4, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #890 of 1,375
Thank you for clarifying this. I was wondering because Neutron says that music is reproduced in 44100 Hz. So now do not have to change anything in settings as it is playing in 432Hz.

Still need to explore about pitch settings in player itself. What does it mean "follow source frequency"?

May 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #891 of 1,375
Thank you for clarifying this. I was wondering because Neutron says that music is reproduced in 44100 Hz. So now do not have to change anything in settings as it is playing in 432Hz.

Still need to explore about pitch settings in player itself. What does it mean "follow source frequency"?

44100 Hz sample rate simply means frequency content up to 22050 Hz will be reproduced.

Follow source frequency option in Neutron will adjust output sample rate automatically based on the file played (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, and so on).

May 5, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #893 of 1,375
Thanks again. So the catch is in the "up to", it will play at 432 Hz if I understood correctly.

Just as it will reproduce the notes played on a marimba or xylophone without issue. These are tuned to A-442.

Whatever your "tuning" is, worry not.

May 5, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #894 of 1,375
So the catch is in the "up to", it will play at 432 Hz if I understood correctly.

This concept relates to note pitch, not sample rate (nor bitrate). If you are using a retuner to change the pitch or speed of music (as a software effect), this doesn't change the sample rate of what is being sent to the DAC. 440 and 432 are tuning standards that only come into play when tuning and playing live music. It defines the slight intonation and overtone changes with classical instruments. You can read more about the tuning standards, but the sample rate of the bitstream being sent to the DAC has nothing to do with it. Once it's recorded, that's it. You can't add these overtones or intonation changes by slowing down your music. All you're literally doing is slowing down the playback speed of the 44.1 or 48khz file.

But this begs the question why are you slowing down your music from the way it was recorded? Are you trying to match the pitch to an instrument you want to play along with?

May 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #895 of 1,375
There's a realm of woo-woo thinking w/ 432Hz about cosmic alignment, golden ratios, fundamental resonant frequencies of the Earth.

BmmfETghGOPrW.gif

May 29, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #896 of 1,375
There was talk of introducing a new file manager for UPNP... anyone knows whats happening with that?

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #897 of 1,375
Just installed the evaluation verson on my DX160 and this is a keeper!

+ Gapless playback
+ Spectrum analyzer
+ Hardware MQA supported, fully unfolds my local MQA files
+ UPnP support streams FLAC's stored on my Synology
+ Outputs to my Denon and Chromecast - What is the best setting to make fully use of the Chromecast DAC?
+ /- Interface is sometimes a bit of a hassle to find the correct setting but if you spend some time with it you'll find it very configurable
- No Tidal support, yet?

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #898 of 1,375
Just installed the evaluation verson on my DX160 and this is a keeper!

+ Gapless playback
+ Spectrum analyzer
+ Hardware MQA supported, fully unfolds my local MQA files
+ UPnP support streams FLAC's stored on my Synology
+ Outputs to my Denon and Chromecast - What is the best setting to make fully use of the Chromecast DAC?
+ /- Interface is sometimes a bit of a hassle to find the correct setting but if you spend some time with it you'll find it very configurable
- No Tidal support, yet?
I agree but for UPNP i would prefer a file manager like interface like most UPNP clients have.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #899 of 1,375
I agree but for UPNP i would prefer a file manager like interface like most UPNP clients have.
I am trying to figure out what that would bring as an extra.
I have now added the Music folder on my Synology as a source and all tracks show up in the library view, next to the tracks stored on the SD card.
The only downside I now see is that tracks stored both local and on the Synology appear twice in the overview. I would like to figure out how to distinguish between the 2 sources, so you can choose which one you would like to see in your library.

Jun 7, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #900 of 1,375
I am trying to figure out what that would bring as an extra.
I have now added the Music folder on my Synology as a source and all tracks show up in the library view, next to the tracks stored on the SD card.
The only downside I now see is that tracks stored both local and on the Synology appear twice in the overview. I would like to figure out how to distinguish between the 2 sources, so you can choose which one you would like to see in your library.
I just find it convenient to view the UPNP library in that manner. It's a personal preference i guess.
As for choosing what you see in your library i think you can left swipe at the bottom to bring up the sources window. This is why i prefer the UI of UAPP as its clearly demarcated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back