Android: Neutron Music Player
Jun 8, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #901 of 1,374
I just find it convenient to view the UPNP library in that manner. It's a personal preference i guess.
As for choosing what you see in your library i think you can left swipe at the bottom to bring up the sources window. This is why i prefer the UI of UAPP as its clearly demarcated.
Thanks for the tip, you can indeed select the folder you want to see in your library there.
It takes more time to grasp Neutron than UAPP for sure. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #902 of 1,374
Eventually everyone will have both. :)

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #903 of 1,374
Eventually everyone will have both. :)
I believe so yes but ideally one of therm will evolve into the Swiss knife which can do it all; tweakability and spectrum analyzer of Neutron, UI of Poweramp and streaming support and technical implementation of UAPP?

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #904 of 1,374
PSA for Neutron Users who use EQ:

If you're anything like me, you purchased Neutron for the superior EQ. User @toranku has done our community a great service with his thread on IEM impressions. Most recently he added EQ compensation curves so that you can make your IEM sound close to his target.

You can read up on his target here (currently V5):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-15614253

Personally, I feel this is a better match for perceived equal loudness across all frequencies than Harman. Uppermost mids and lower treble are dialed back a bit.

Here's where Neutron plays its part.

The filter settings that are required to equalize your IEM are the standard parametric variety: center frequency, gain, width (in form of Q value). However, Q values (which represent the bandwidth of the filters) are not standard across EQ algorithms.

HOWEVER - they seem to be a very good match to Neutron. You can be relatively certain that Q values entered in Neutron will translate as intended. This was not the case with FabFilterProQ2 - which had much broader Q values despite the same numerical value. The filter widths are just as important as 'gain' and 'frequency' if you're trying to equalize to a target.

Read about his target EQ list of IEMS here. Find your IEM and enter the EQ settings in Neutron! It's well worth the time. You'll be rewarded with a very well balanced, less agreesive form of warm/neutral. Also, stop by Toranku's thread and express your thanks if you're so inclined.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-15626397

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #905 of 1,374
PSA for Neutron Users who use EQ:

If you're anything like me, you purchased Neutron for the superior EQ. User @toranku has done our community a great service with his thread on IEM impressions. Most recently he added EQ compensation curves so that you can make your IEM sound close to his target.

You can read up on his target here (currently V5):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-15614253

Personally, I feel this is a better match for perceived equal loudness across all frequencies than Harman. Uppermost mids and lower treble are dialed back a bit.

Here's where Neutron plays its part.

The filter settings that are required to equalize your IEM are the standard parametric variety: center frequency, gain, width (in form of Q value). However, Q values (which represent the bandwidth of the filters) are not standard across EQ algorithms.

HOWEVER - they seem to be a very good match to Neutron. You can be relatively certain that Q values entered in Neutron will translate as intended. This was not the case with FabFilterProQ2 - which had much broader Q values despite the same numerical value. The filter widths are just as important as 'gain' and 'frequency' if you're trying to equalize to a target.

Read about his target EQ list of IEMS here. Find your IEM and enter the EQ settings in Neutron! It's well worth the time. You'll be rewarded with a very well balanced, less agreesive form of warm/neutral. Also, stop by Toranku's thread and express your thanks if you're so inclined.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-15626397

Thank you for the really kind words. It means a lot to me. :D

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #906 of 1,374
Does anyone know how the network FTP works? I connected to it and can see the stuff in my local sd card on my PC. But I cant actually transfer files from my PC to the neutron player (on Fiio M11).
1593902025087.png

Attachments

• 1593901976446.png
    1593901976446.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #907 of 1,374
Does anyone know how the network FTP works? I connected to it and can see the stuff in my local sd card on my PC. But I cant actually transfer files from my PC to the neutron player (on Fiio M11).
1593902025087.png
1593902025087.png

I have used once. you need to set type FTP website into neutron's source (192.168.0.16) and then it will scan the library and ensure you have same wifi and you can select albums inside neutron app.

By the way, your music library is quite same as mine!

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #908 of 1,374
I have used once. you need to set type FTP website into neutron's source (192.168.0.16) and then it will scan the library and ensure you have same wifi and you can select albums inside neutron app.

By the way, your music library is quite same as mine!
Well, I just installed solid explorer (android) and winscp (windows) and set the FTP client-server like that instead. Thanks anyway. (Hiroyuki is awesome :smirk: )

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #909 of 1,374
I have a feature request and am not sure how to communicate it, so I'm hoping this gets some recognition from Neutron dev. If not, I'll probably email him at some point.

I've noticed the processing order for various DSPs and the 'balance slider' doesn't make sense. It's taken me lots of time to pin down what I think is happening. Here's my predicament and how I've been able to postulate processing order:

I like crossfeed as it helps me focus a better center image.
I also have an inner ear impedance mismatch that requires approx 7db pan to the right in order for me to perceive center balance.

The balance slider (-1.0 to 1.0) under the hardware section in neutron works as expected if I don't have crossfeed active. But the minute I engage crossfeed, the center image shifts slightly. I think this is because the balance slider is not the LAST step in processing. I feel it should be (at least for my purposes).

How did I find this out? Well, if I use the balance function of my DAP (DX160) I can't perceive any shift in center image when toggling crossfeed on and off in neutron. But if I use the balance function within Neutron I definitely can. This tells me that the balance function in Neutron is looping back into the crossfeed algorithm.

So why not use my DAPs balance function then if it processes last? Because I can only get 5db shift from ibasso balance.... I need about 7 or 7.5db.

If anyone else has similar concerns please reply. I'll keep you posted with dev communication if I end up email him

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #910 of 1,374
Hi friends...

So I know there's lots of debate about MQA in general, being snake-oil etc...but I have a question about Neutron and how it handles it.

I'm using the FiiO M11 as my DAP - using both the stock FiiO music app, and UAPP I get the fancy little MQA logo in my status bar, next to the displayed bitrate. However, with Neutron I see the original bit rate of the file - but not the fancy MQA logo!

...so from what I understand, Neutron is not performing a full unfold of the MQA file, correct? Just playing it at it's original bitrate? Sigh - I'm confused.

Any clarity would be much appreciated - thanks!

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #912 of 1,374
@Steve Guppy, if your output device supports DSD then with [DSD, DSD over PCM] + [All To DSD] Neutron will output DSD instead of PCM, e.g. your FLAC's PCM will go into PCM to DSD conversion routine before data is sent to DAC or OS (if OS exposes access to DSD, like on LG V30, V40).

As @WitzyZed correctly mentioned - DSD files will not be affected and will go through Neutron unmodified but FLAC's PCM will be converted to DSD prior output. This is what All To DSD was designed for.
Can we get more info about this feature ? it process into DSD64, no higher ? What modulations and filters is it at ? Will there be options in the future to choose them as features ? Thanks!!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #913 of 1,374
Can we get more info about this feature ? it process into DSD64, no higher ? What modulations and filters is it at ? Will there be options in the future to choose them as features ? Thanks!!
All-to-DSD: DSD64 & DSD128 (the latter only if your CPU can cope). Improved accuracy if your CPU also supports 64-bit processing.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #914 of 1,374
@Whitigir , as of now, you can't change the modulator settings (IE decide how to shape the noise or low pass it). You can only convert PCM to DSD64 or DSD128

The problem is that most DAPs work very hard to convert the bitstream and battery life takes a major hit / heat is another concern.

My DX160 can handle conversion to DSD64 in 32 bit mode all day, but starts to hiccup if I try DSD128 or DSD64 in 64 bit mode.

I will say that the SQ is outstanding even with 32 bit DSD64 config. Battery use is pretty high though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back