Android: Neutron Music Player
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #256 of 1,374
BTW if RND has a dock for your phone I would really recommend this brand. It has the same quality as an iPod/iPhone dock - decent weight to it (of course not anything like the iPad docks), has soft feet to prevent scratching tables or hi-fi gear if you put it on top of one, and also has a shape that supports a (larger screen Android) phone better.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #257 of 1,374
I'm really liking the crossfeed that Neutron offers. Sounds great with my S4 and my Vsonic GR01 in ears. I'm using either FLAC, ALAC or high bit rate MP3/AAC. I have about 35gb full of my 36gb capacity. It might be time for a 64gb micro sd card. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #258 of 1,374
I'm really liking the crossfeed that Neutron offers. Sounds great with my S4 and my Vsonic GR01 in ears. I'm using either FLAC, ALAC or high bit rate MP3/AAC. I have about 35gb full of my 36gb capacity. It might be time for a 64gb micro sd card. 

Haha, same here Jason. I've just ordered a 64GB card as I can't get enough music on the 32GB card. I hear ya about crossfeed, I use it a lot too. It's particularly good with music where, even if it isn't actually live, the producer has attempted to create a virtual stage. Acoustic, folk, Americana, classical all works well with it. The only time I don't use it is with electronica or chart type stuff (not that I really listen to chart music very often). Crossfeed is exceptionally good with live radio studio discussions too, unless you want the speakers to sound as though they're sitting in different rooms. I often read of people trying crossfeed for a bit then turning it off and never looking at it again. I'm guessing this is because until you acclimatise to the soundstage it initially feels as if you're getting less. They don't give it long enough. A shame really. It also allows me to listen for much longer too.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #259 of 1,374
Haha, same here Jason. I've just ordered a 64GB card as I can't get enough music on the 32GB card. I hear ya about crossfeed, I use it a lot too. It's particularly good with music where, even if it isn't actually live, the producer has attempted to create a virtual stage. Acoustic, folk, Americana, classical all works well with it. The only time I don't use it is with electronica or chart type stuff (not that I really listen to chart music very often). Crossfeed is exceptionally good with live radio studio discussions too, unless you want the speakers to sound as though they're sitting in different rooms. I often read of people trying crossfeed for a bit then turning it off and never looking at it again. I'm guessing this is because until you acclimatise to the soundstage it initially feels as if you're getting less. They don't give it long enough. A shame really. It also allows me to listen for much longer too.

Well, lately I've been cheating on my headphones and have been listening to mostly my nearfield speaker rig. I haven't put my Q701 on in about 2 months...
eek.gif
... I know it's terrible. I had to take a bus trip that was 4 hours each way last friday and I definitely wasn't going to survive it without some music, so of course I brought my Galaxy S4 and my GR01. I was playing around with the crossfeed in the Neutron app and it made the music sound a lot more like it did with my speakers at home. I thought it did great with both jazz and progressive rock/metal, more so with the jazz music though. I like it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #260 of 1,374
Well, lately I've been cheating on my headphones and have been listening to mostly my nearfield speaker rig. I haven't put my Q701 on in about 2 months... :eek: ... I know it's terrible. I had to take a bus trip that was 4 hours each way last friday and I definitely wasn't going to survive it without some music, so of course I brought my Galaxy S4 and my GR01. I was playing around with the crossfeed in the Neutron app and it made the music sound a lot more like it did with my speakers at home. I thought it did great with both jazz and progressive rock/metal, more so with the jazz music though. I like it.

This will sound strange but do you know what crossfeed is really very good for? Rammstein. Loud! It feels like you're getting repeatedly punched in the forehead. A surprisingly satisfying experience when you're out walking. You seem to where you're going a helluva lot faster. :smiling_imp:

I'm currently listening to Dead Can Dance live on my Q701's with EQ flat, crossfeed on and my E18 on high gain. It sounds incredible!

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #261 of 1,374
That depends on what Neutron is actually doing. I assume Neutron is the cleanest player and adding nothing. Therefore all the other players are adding something and that something is bad. I honestly don't know.

If it's the case that Neutron is just a purer program then an equivalent on PC would be Foobar2000 because it adds nothing to the raw file (unless you make it). I have always used Foobar2000 since year dot and if I hadn't switched to osX I would still be using it.

I'm kinda out of my depth here to be honest. I have idea why Neutron should be so much better than everything else.

Unless... Me & you are both deaf :grinning:

You and me both are out of our respective depths on this, but I think you hit the nail on the head by stating that the Neutron player seems to present the music in the most uncolored form when compared to the most popular Android music players out there.  

I have had both Playerpro and Poweramp in the past two years, and I enjoyed both of those well enough, but Neutron sounds noticeably better.  I have turned off the EQ altogether and I like this sound better than anything I have previously listened to using my Android phone as source.  No DAC (yet).  

All files are FLAC ripped from CD using MediaMonkey (free version), or HD Tracks download (minimum sample rate 96kHz/24bit - with my current setup I can't actually listen to these at peak performance ... yet).

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx-Jellybean 4.1.2>Neutron>V-Moda M-80 headphones/UE Super.Fi 5 Pro IEMs with FiiO RC-UE2 Replacement Cable/Soundmatters foxL v2 Platinum.

Neutron Music Player is a definite keeper.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #262 of 1,374
Anybody getting lag when trying to go back to playlist of the folder from the play screen?  It's such a long lag, this needs to be fixed.  

Also, is there a replaygain option somewhere?

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #263 of 1,374
Yup, RpG is there in the options. No problems here with lag though. What are you using Neutron on/with?

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #265 of 1,374
I don't use either, never have. Sorry.

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #266 of 1,374
Hi guys! currently I'm  using Neutron on my S4 but I have found s4's default player sounds better to me. Is it possible that I've [size=x-small]missed something? I use my W4R with it. I think that default player sounds more bright and forward.[/size]
I haven't tried equalizer but I have used dither, 64 bit processing, and re sampling on audiophile

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #267 of 1,374
  Hi guys! currently I  use Neutron on my S4 but I have found s4's default player sounds better to me. Is it possible that I've [size=x-small]missed something? I use my W4R with it. I think that default player sounds more bright and forward.[/size]

Have you turned on the cpu processing under settings, and also 64bit processing?

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #268 of 1,374
Hi guys! currently I'm  using Neutron on my S4 but I have found s4's default player sounds better to me. Is it possible that I've missed something? I use my W4R with it. I think that default player sounds more bright and forward.
I haven't tried equalizer but I have used dither, 64 bit processing, and re sampling on audiophile

That's certainly not my experience. To my ears when compared to Neutron all other players sound dull & lifeless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back