Android: Neutron Music Player
Oct 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #286 of 1,374

I just checked my tablet and after scanning for hours it froze so will have to start again. Frustrating because I know where my music is - it's in proper order and I don't need or want my SMB drive indexed/scanned. 

I can get ES File explorer to open a single sound file with Neutron but can't get it to play more than one or a folder (album). Can you play more than one song with ES? If so, how?  Thanks!

You are right. I cannot play more than one song when Neutron is launched from ES Explorer.

My Neutron also often freezes a lot when changing songs but I think it has something to do with my SMB share settings. 

Btw, how many songs you have that it took hours to scan? Mine I think is around 3000+ and it took about 15 minutes only on my LG G3.

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #287 of 1,374

I just checked my tablet and after scanning for hours it froze so will have to start again. Frustrating because I know where my music is - it's in proper order and I don't need or want my SMB drive indexed/scanned. 

I can get ES File explorer to open a single sound file with Neutron but can't get it to play more than one or a folder (album). Can you play more than one song with ES? If so, how?  Thanks!

Have you tried adding the folders you want manually instead of automatically? I use it myself to create different folders for different albums.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #288 of 1,374

...Btw, how many songs you have that it took hours to scan? Mine I think is around 3000+ and it took about 15 minutes only on my LG G3.

I have a fairly large music collection. MP3 and FLAC encoded with proper LAME settings. For many the same CD is encoded in FLAC and then converted to mp3 v0 so there are two copies. The source are CD's and vinyl that I ripped myself. I have way more than 3000. 

This is why I need a folder player. It's a mess when software does scanning/indexing and too much to store on my phone or tablet. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #289 of 1,374
I have a fairly large music collection. MP3 and FLAC encoded with proper LAME settings. For many the same CD is encoded in FLAC and then converted to mp3 v0 so there are two copies. The source are CD's and vinyl that I ripped myself. I have way more than 3000. 

This is why I need a folder player. It's a mess when software does scanning/indexing and too much to store on my phone or tablet. 

If I understand you correctly, it is not the scanning/indexing that you mind but the speed of scanning/indexing plus the freeze that occurred during the scanning/indexing, right? If Neutron can complete the whole process in minutes instead of hours, indexing is a non issue for you, right? If I may know, what is your SMB share run on? Mine is running on Pogoplug 4 which has been hacked to run Arch Linux.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #290 of 1,374
  Have you tried adding the folders you want manually instead of automatically? I use it myself to create different folders for different albums.

Thanks, yes I tried that, but unless I'm doing something wrong, it still has to do the scanning/indexing. I really just need a "dumb" folder player. Other than that Neutron has some really nice features. One criticism, the UI is convoluted. Also doesn't work like an android app should. Changes have to be committed to make them "stick."

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #291 of 1,374
If I understand you correctly, it is not the scanning/indexing that you mind but the speed of scanning/indexing plus the freeze that occurred during the scanning/indexing, right? If Neutron can complete the whole process in minutes instead of hours, indexing is a non issue for you, right? If I may know, what is your SMB share run on? Mine is running on Pogoplug 4 which has been hacked to run Arch Linux.

I have a PC with Linux, and the SMB share is pretty fast. Also NFS but I can't use that with Android apps. The more I look at this - I need a file manager on Android that can select songs on the SMB share and play with Neutron (or Poweramp, etc.). But this feature isn't offered yet. I also have an LG G3 but don't need to access SMB with that. When I'm home my Nexus 10 tablet is a good device to use. The sound is really good!

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #292 of 1,374
I've had the player for a day, I'm hunting around for info on the EQ section and Google points me to this thread. I've replaced the preset.xml with some others but I'm still looking for an FAQ on settings in particular to the parametric functions. I KNOW just getting in there and moving sliders is the best hands on way to learn things.

links anyone?

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #293 of 1,374
  I've had the player for a day, I'm hunting around for info on the EQ section and Google points me to this thread. I've replaced the preset.xml with some others but I'm still looking for an FAQ on settings in particular to the parametric functions. I KNOW just getting in there and moving sliders is the best hands on way to learn things.

links anyone?

Heree's something that I posted in the past that might give you some ideas. I've adjusted these settings since then.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566664/android-neutron-music-player/165#post_10290249

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #294 of 1,374
thanks StanD, or Stan if you prefer. I thought I'd read every post here.
I'll try some more presets I'd found at the Neutron app forums and see how those are set.

I had no trouble saving the .xml files to the directory but using the copy paste functions to amend the file was a different story.
Like you'd said parametric eq is really powerful. I used it with my clip+ that was rockboxed. Took me a while to configure that as well.

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #295 of 1,374
  thanks StanD, or Stan if you prefer. I thought I'd read every post here.
I'll try some more presets I'd found at the Neutron app forums and see how those are set.

I had no trouble saving the .xml files to the directory but using the copy paste functions to amend the file was a different story.
Like you'd said parametric eq is really powerful. I used it with my clip+ that was rockboxed. Took me a while to configure that as well.

My name is Stan, but either works here. I've used parametric EQ to take cut down sibilant peaks on rotten earbuds (Klipsch S4) or to flatten the U or V shaped midrange in certain cans. Neutron is by far the best sounding mobile player app that I ever heard. I'm an extended sub bass junkie and Neutron's EQ does what I need without ruining the mids and highs.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #296 of 1,374
Stan also showed me how to use the parametric EQ and now I look for it in all EQ software. Looking at the frequency response charts available on Headroom helps you understand what you're hearing and the PEQ let's you deal with any problems. My Q701's are almost unlistenable without the ability to filter out their glaring spike at 2k.

Stan's the man :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #297 of 1,374
Stan also showed me how to use the parametric EQ and now I look for it in all EQ software. Looking at the frequency response charts available on Headroom helps you understand what you're hearing and the PEQ let's you deal with any problems. My Q701's are almost unlistenable without the ability to filter out their glaring spike at 2k.

Stan's the man
smily_headphones1.gif

A bottle of Glenfiddich would do. 
biggrin.gif

I found Neutron as I was specifically looking for the PEQ feature. At the time I was using PowerAmp, which is pretty good but doesn't see much use anymore. Neutron all the way.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #298 of 1,374
The only good thing about Poweramp is the widgets, otherwise it's like looking through a dirty window.

:beers:

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #299 of 1,374
Really simple EQ once it's understood.
trick is find something good then copy the EQ to a new setting, improve, test and compare while sampling different genres.....repeat  etc.
Zorrofox, as you'd suggested I took a look at the frequency sweeps and tried to flatten boost and cut where appropriate and then moved to what sounded best.
here's what I came up with for a few of my headphones:

"SE 535"    
"LOW" gain="2.5" freq="127.5" Q="2.4"       
"MID1" gain="4.6" freq="4500.00" width="2.2"      
"MID2" gain="5.6" freq="7000.00" width="3.76"       
"HIGH" gain="1.95" freq="14000.00" Q="4.7"

"SE 215"       
"LOW" gain="-1.01999998" freq="110.00" Q="0.01"        
"MID1" gain="3.18999982" freq="3500.00" width="0.5"      
"MID2" gain="4.67999983" freq="6500.00" width="0.44"
"HIGH" gain="-2.78999996" freq="10000.00" Q="8.00"

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #300 of 1,374
I can't say if that's right or not since I don't own those headphones but that's certainly the idea. It's worth us all remembering though that 'flat' isn't necessarily ideal since our hearing & tastes are all different but it's nice that Neutron at least gives us the opportunity to alter the sound with a much better degree of accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back