Android: Neutron Music Player
Mar 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #226 of 1,374
What headphones?

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #228 of 1,374
OK, I'm in no way familiar with those I'm afraid. Just start out with the EQ flat, no boost or cut, and see how you go. It's your music and your ears. Change a little at a time. Good luck.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #229 of 1,374
I know Golden Ears measures headphones, and has an EQ setting specific to each headphones.  This is an app.  Need to check if I can look at the EQ and set it on the Neutron if there is an EQ shown for my headphones on the Golden Ears app.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #230 of 1,374
Why not trust your own ears?

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #231 of 1,374
Crossfeed puts some of each side's signal in the other side (it's adjustable). I'd say a more accurate description is that it compresses the soundstage rather than actually makes it sound like normal speakers, since the sound is still inside your head (and even moreso with crossfeed) and not in front of you. Some people like the wide soundstage of headphones so don't use it. As of now I'm not using it but have been meaning to play around with it, maybe I'll end up using a small amount. Maybe if there was an extreme case where there wasn't much sound in the middle but haven't come across that yet. I mostly listen to rock.

I use dithering and 64 bit (and gain reduction as mentioned above, to enable lower volume). Can't hurt. The only downside would be that it uses a bit more battery.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #232 of 1,374
Minor update. I've been reporting a hiss with my SGS3, using either the headphone out and USB audio, with NeutronMP. It just updated a few minutes ago, and I tried it out not really expecting any improvements...well, the hiss is totally gone! Ieven pulled my IEMs out of my ear and set the volume to ear-splitting levels, didn't hear a hiss even between tracks and when it is paused! :D

Will try USB audio with it tomorrow but I think it should be working fine too.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #233 of 1,374
Good to hear the developer listens to feedback. I've not really got anything to complain about, this is by far the best music player on Android.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #234 of 1,374
Good to hear the developer listens to feedback. I've not really got anything to complain about, this is by far the best music player on Android.

And to one so obscure, no less...haven't seen any other reports of this issue with the S3, or other phones for that matter; IIRC I only sent one email months ago and just mentioned it here a few times. Plus there was the new album art player interface look they put In a few months back that made it look a lot less like a pro-audio technicolored rack mount display and more like a hi-fi player with the grey steel interface around the album art.

Looks like I'm hankering for the Fiio X1 a lot less now that I can just EQ my smartphone's treble roll-off (that makes the ASG-1's roll off much worse). I'm running +2db on 16khz, 0.250 Qfactor, with -1db at 70hz and 120hz, 0.75 Qfactor; Crossfeed at 1.6khz, 1.5db. I missed this much level of control that I only get from one other source - the Pioneer 860MP in my car.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #235 of 1,374
Since you seem to know what you're talking about I wonder if I may ask a question - what is Q slope?

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #236 of 1,374
Since you seem to know what you're talking about I wonder if I may ask a question - what is Q slope?

The Q factor, or its slope, determines how wide the effect of the EQ will be from the selected center frequency. Without using exact numbers, as an example, let's say you set Band 1 to have 70hz as its center freq. At a Qfactor of 0.500, the effects of any boost or cut to that freq will be wider than when you set the Qfactor to 1.5. Also the effect is never the same as the center frequency, but the slope towards both sides just gets steeper at higher Q's compared to lower Q's. Think of a very low Q factor as having the shape of an Old Kingdom, pre-Zoser/Imhotep Mastaba tomb, while a very high Q factor at the same center frequency and boost level looks a lot more like the Giza Pyramids; somewhere between that you can have something like Teotihuacan's Pyramid of the Sun or the upper half of the Bent Pyramid.

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #237 of 1,374
The Q factor, or its slope, determines how wide the effect of the EQ will be from the selected center frequency. Without using exact numbers, as an example, let's say you set Band 1 to have 70hz as its center freq. At a Qfactor of 0.500, the effects of any boost or cut to that freq will be wider than when you set the Qfactor to 1.5. Also the effect is never the same as the center frequency, but the slope towards both sides just gets steeper at higher Q's compared to lower Q's. Think of a very low Q factor as having the shape of an Old Kingdom, pre-Zoser/Imhotep Mastaba tomb, while a very high Q factor at the same center frequency and boost level looks a lot more like the Giza Pyramids; somewhere between that you can have something like Teotihuacan's Pyramid of the Sun or the upper half of the Bent Pyramid.

Wow, audio engineering, architecture & geography all in one explanation - and I get it!

Kudos my friend.

Edit - my Alpine car stereo has that option. Its not called 'Q' but its the same deal.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #238 of 1,374
Edit - my Alpine car stereo has that option. Its not called 'Q' but its the same deal.

Already forgot what Alpine calls it, but yeah any receiver with a complex enough EQ would have that too, especially since Alpine tended to favor parametric EQs ever since the ones with the expanding faceplates in the early 2000s. In my car's set-up though I find that setting the time alignment properly does a lot more to correct the sound than the EQ can without T/A; of coeurse, an IEM I preferred for its fit and sensitivity with a bump in the lower region and a drastic nosedive past 12khz is nowhere near a huge-magnet Vifa tweeter made for home audio paired with Focal 165VR midwoofers, and neither is a smartphone's audio chip anything like the brute (but very clean) Class A/B amp I'm driving those speakers with 
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #239 of 1,374
Already forgot what Alpine calls it, but yeah any receiver with a complex enough EQ would have that too, especially since Alpine tended to favor parametric EQs ever since the ones with the expanding faceplates in the early 2000s. In my car's set-up though I find that setting the time alignment properly does a lot more to correct the sound than the EQ can without T/A; of coeurse, an IEM I preferred for its fit and sensitivity with a bump in the lower region and a drastic nosedive past 12khz is nowhere near a huge-magnet Vifa tweeter made for home audio paired with Focal 165VR midwoofers, and neither is a smartphone's audio chip anything like the brute (but very clean) Class A/B amp I'm driving those speakers with :D

My head unit is kinda old now so I'm looking at a major upgrade. I'll stick with Alpine though as they've served me well thus far. I'm also looking for mid-range speakers in the back doors to add some body.

Sorry guys, totally o/t.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #240 of 1,374
My head unit is kinda old now so I'm looking at a major upgrade. I'll stick with Alpine though as they've served me well thus far. I'm also looking for mid-range speakers in the back doors to add some body.

Sorry guys, totally o/t.

A little bit of OT too: try to avoid rear speakers. If what you're listening to is recorded in stereo, then you won't be able to reproduce the soundstage on your dashboard. You don't need to compete in IASCA or EMMA to have fun trying to get that, and a lot of it depends on proper installation and the processor.

You can read more about my take on car audio in this forum in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601490/car-audio-fi/60#post_10372421 But for course for the real car-audio specific stuff, best go to www.diyma.com  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back