Android: Neutron Music Player
Mar 9, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #212 of 1,374
Thanks for the input. Can you define a "tad"? 95%?

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #214 of 1,374
I wish Neutron was as user-friendly as Poweramp. I keep trying Poweramp every now & again in the hope it's suddenly got better sound but it never has. It's all about the music in the end and the difference between the two players is too great for me to compromise and settle for Poweramp.

Neutron for the World!

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #216 of 1,374
I like both players in different ways but the thing I did notice is that Neutron seems to use more resources/battery than Poweramp.

Yes, that's the same here. Perhaps it's attributable to the 64bit processing?

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #217 of 1,374
Hi folks. I have some more questions and thoughts.

When using a separate DAC/amp is there such a thing as an ideal setting for Neutron's Preamp? I use the Auto again thing (AGP) so should I just be increasing the Preamp level until AGP pushes it back down or is it better to leave the Preamp at '0'?

Or here's something I've just thought of: if I start out with the Preamp set to '0' then this level defines the range I have to play with in the Parametric EQ controls?

I have the software volume level permanently set to 80% as this gives me some room for manoeuvre when using the amp volume control?

For experimentation I'm using one specific track: Sweet Thunder from the album Baby by the band Yello. They're my favourite band and I know all their music inside out. I know, I'm sad. Anyway the album is in FLAC format and the dynamics are awesome (particularly on Sweet Thunder, the clue's in the name).

I'd be interested in any and all opinions on my thinking here, the only exception being "Neutron's UI is ****, just use Poweramp". Don't bother telling me that because I have Poweramp and yes it looks nice and all but Neutron is so much more capable.

Thanks guys.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #218 of 1,374
Latest issue is that cover art is not appearing on the main player now playing screen. It appears next to the folders in folder view AND the neutron mini widget. Tried various setting changes. Used fo be fine, dont remember if they stopped showing after the paid version instLl install or after. Very frustrating.

NEVERMIND. THEY COME UP AFTER A REBOOT. STRANGE.

This happened again. FYI in case anyone else ends up with this issue, it turns out that if you touch the cover art area in the main player now playing screen, the controls disappear leaving only the cover art, and after a few seconds a very faint icon appears in the top right corner that controls whether the image appears. Apparently I had touched that by accident. Can't believe he would put that there like that. Found it randomly after wasting time messing with the settings again.

Also I set the replay gain to around minus 7 "if missing" to let me lower the volume more. With the standard volume I found that sometimes I wanted the volume lower than the lowest level.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #219 of 1,374
Hi, me again. You may remember I was having some trouble working out what player volume level I should be using. 100%, 95% or whatever. Well I just removed that problem by buying a pair of AKG Q701'S. I have no choice but turn it up to 100% and put my E18 on the high gain setting.

Obviously I was only having an 'issue' because my V-Moda's were actually so sensitive that an amp wasn't really required in the first place.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #220 of 1,374
I'm wondering if someone knows how to properly use the low slope (Q) function in the EQ. I've dialled in a 3db boost to low bass and set the cut-off to 100Hz. The result so far is good but what does Q do? Is it used to determine how quickly the boost (or cut) rolls off?

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #222 of 1,374
Any know if all DSP that is done on the player from the settings is really legit and provides quality sound or is it all software affects?

It's legit of course. I think that's why it is complicated. When you get it right it is very accurate.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #223 of 1,374
What settings do you guys have turned on for maximum sound quality?  Do you guys use the Dithering?  How does it do 64-bit processing?  I thought most DACS are 16bit with the exception of new ones like Note 3 and G2 which are 24 bit DACS.  If it's using the processor, only processor I know of as 64 bit is the new Apple.

What is the crossfeed DSP?

Do you guys tweak the Pitch and Temo?  How does that work?

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #224 of 1,374
I never touch pitch & tempo.

I use dithering. Makes a difference on my Q701's, not so much on my M-100's.

I always use 64-bit processing. Can iI hear a difference? I think so, sometimes.

Crossfeed will make it sound as though you are in a room listening through loudspeakers. Also reduces fatigue.

What is your source and what are your headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back