Android: Neutron Music Player
Jun 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,006 of 1,375
thank you for your reply.
I am at a loss as to why it sounds better with oversampling .
Mind you, Resampling is different to oversampling in Neutron.

If that was the question - there is no super special thing happening, all processing is done carefully with a full understanding of the digital value transformation. So basically there are no faults during the DSP processing, including resampling (oversampling or downsampling). 64-bit Processing pushes SNR lower (proven by a hw analysis) due to a higher resolution and therefore less errors due to truncation of the lowest values when digital filters are in game.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,007 of 1,375
I am sorry to hear that but all direct e-mails are answered diligently without skipping any (any issue is the Issue for the Neutron's development process). Forum is a community area where developer is mostly not present due to an obvious physical time limit. If you write to the support e-mail address (neutronmp@gmail.com or support@neutronmp.com) then you will get direct developer's reply, you can also point to the forum's thread to provide more details for the issue. Some e-mails may get into a spam folder as there is a lot of spam incoming due to public visibility of the e-mail address but let's blame spammers for that.
Are you Dimitri, of the development team?
if yes, can I ask you my latest question here?
I need more info regarding the over-sampling feature (not re-sampling).
can you tell me how it is done inside Neutron?
what filters or noise-shapers are used.
and what pre-amp setting is a safe figure, for say 8X or 16X oversampling.
Thanx

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #1,008 of 1,375
Thanks. I tried this, but couldn't see the bottom option. See below, these are the only options available:

The screen you're on right now isn't it, I'm talking about the menu option right before that.
[You long pressed on the media button events option to get to that menu]
Is the Media Buttons LED lit on the previous screen?

Are there any other top level device options in your N6ii enabling or disabling the functionality of your hardware buttons (play/pause, next, previous, & volume) ?

See: here, where Cayin said Key Lock settings would be done in future firmware (this was in 2019 when stated)

Are there any other 3rd party music players that do respond to these hardware buttons in the way you would want Neutron to?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,009 of 1,375
The screen you're on right now isn't it, I'm talking about the menu option right before that.
[You long pressed on the media button events option to get to that menu]
Is the Media Buttons LED lit on the previous screen?

Are there any other top level device options in your N6ii enabling or disabling the functionality of your hardware buttons (play/pause, next, previous, & volume) ?

See: here, where Cayin said Key Lock settings would be done in future firmware (this was in 2019 when stated)

Are there any other 3rd party music players that do respond to these hardware buttons in the way you would want Neutron to?
Hi, yes Media Buttons LED is lit on previous screen.

Cayin did update their firmware and fixed this - there's an option to select lockscreen buttons in settings.

This only occurs with Neutron; every other 3rd party app (and I tried most of them) works.

I've also asked on the Neutron forum and sent @dmitrykos an email. Perhaps he'll reply here.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,010 of 1,375
Are you Dimitri, of the development team?
if yes, can I ask you my latest question here?
I need more info regarding the over-sampling feature (not re-sampling).
can you tell me how it is done inside Neutron?
what filters or noise-shapers are used.
and what pre-amp setting is a safe figure, for say 8X or 16X oversampling.
Thanx

Oversampling is carried out by the resampling functionality of Neutron's audio engine, basically it is a resampling with higher ratio. There is no noise shaping happening for the PCM oversampling, Neutron is using polynomial interpolated filters (sync function).

Preamp does not affect oversampling, it is the multiplicator in the digital domain, therefore if you are listening to the commercial music which is almost always normalized then the safe value is 0 if you are not using EQ or the negative value opposite to the loudest low band, e.g. if you set 100 Hz band to +2.5 dB then Preamp should be set to -2.5 dB to avoid possible overloading (truncation).

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,011 of 1,375
Oversampling is carried out by the resampling functionality of Neutron's audio engine, basically it is a resampling with higher ratio. There is no noise shaping happening for the PCM oversampling, Neutron is using polynomial interpolated filters (sync function).

Preamp does not affect oversampling, it is the multiplicator in the digital domain, therefore if you are listening to the commercial music which is almost always normalized then the safe value is 0 if you are not using EQ or the negative value opposite to the loudest low band, e.g. if you set 100 Hz band to +2.5 dB then Preamp should be set to -2.5 dB to avoid possible overloading (truncation).
Thank you, it was the polynomial interpolated I was after.
correct me, but doesn't interpolation filters increase peak values?
and if the signal input into the filter is not peak reduced, then wouldn't there be a situation that signal may overload?
I understand the need for preamp use when using eq. but that, was not what I was talking about.
Thanx, for the info.

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,012 of 1,375
Is anyone else noticing digital noises/clicks between DSF files now? This has not happened before. I'm bummed...Neutron was the only player where I didn't have an issue playing DSF/SACD completely gapless, and now I'm experiencing this. Using a FiiO M11.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,014 of 1,375
Is anyone else noticing digital noises/clicks between DSF files now? This has not happened before. I'm bummed...Neutron was the only player where I didn't have an issue playing DSF/SACD completely gapless, and now I'm experiencing this. Using a FiiO M11.
Would you please share 2 consecutive DSFs with obvious clicks between them so that it would be possible to debug the issue (e-mail to neutronmp@gmail.com).

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,015 of 1,375
@dmitrykos I've written several times here, via email, and on the Neutron forum, no reply.

My question isn't difficult: can I use the physical buttons on my Cayin N6II with Neutron when the Cayin's screen is off?

Right now, it's not possible. This only occurs with Neutron. Every other 3rd party app works fine.

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #1,016 of 1,375
@dmitrykos I've written several times here, via email, and on the Neutron forum, no reply.

My question isn't difficult: can I use the physical buttons on my Cayin N6II with Neutron when the Cayin's screen is off?

Right now, it's not possible. This only occurs with Neutron. Every other 3rd party app works fine.

Thanks.

I have replied to your e-mail but for this thread here are details:

"This problem is reproducible with test Cayin DAP N5ii too and there is no workaround for that for now, looks like their firmware's limitation/bug. Could you report it to Cayin maybe so that they could look at it."

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,017 of 1,375
I have replied to your e-mail but for this thread here are details:

"This problem is reproducible with test Cayin DAP N5ii too and there is no workaround for that for now, looks like their firmware's limitation/bug. Could you report it to Cayin maybe so that they could look at it."
Thank, will let Cayin know.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #1,018 of 1,375
Thank, will let Cayin know.
Yes, it would be great. They could also communicate with me regarding it. Other DAPs do not experience such issue. According to the logcat logs media button events start going into Cayin's player/media core once display is switched off, so the easy fix would be not to change routing of media button events when screen goes off and when active music player is holding the audio focus.

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,019 of 1,375
Yes, it would be great. They could also communicate with me regarding it. Other DAPs do not experience such issue. According to the logcat logs media button events start going into Cayin's player/media core once display is switched off, so the easy fix would be not to change routing of media button events when screen goes off and when active music player is holding the audio focus.
Thanks, I'll forward this to Cayin.

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #1,020 of 1,375
Have any of you found a setting, that prevents Neutron from turning on by itself, as soon as you establish a bluetooth connection?

@dmitrykos

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back