Android-fi!
Sep 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #211 of 904
Quote:
I've been on a BlackBerry forever (first one was a 6750, and been using them ever since.  Now I'm using a 9900).  But.. I'd like to try out Android. I messed around with my Dad's Galaxy Tab 10.1 with ICS for a week, and I really liked it.  I'd like to try out a phone.

I'm due for a subsidized hardware upgrade in February 2014, and I plan on getting a BB10 device at that time, but I thought I really should check out the competition.  So I am thinking that in the meantime I'd sell my Bold 9900 (I have a few accessories as well: leather pocket, spare battery, external battery charger, two docks) and buy an Android device (that I could buy directly with the dollars gained from selling my 9900).

Is the Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus the best Android devices of similar vintage to my 9900, that I could conceivably sell my 9900 for, or trade for?  Any other recommendations?  I'm fully okay with rooting a device and installing a non standard ROM.  I can't stand Touchwiz and Sense (that much I know from very brief forays with friends' 1X and GS3), so I'm hoping to use CM or similar, or vanilla JB.

Thanks!

If you can find a Gnex for the same price as your 9900, I would recommend it over the SGSII.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #212 of 904
I like the idea of the Galaxy Nexus, simply because it's going to get all the latest software updates right away.  And no carrier/OEM bloatware.  

What about keyboard models?  I played around with a Droid 4, and the keyboard was pretty terrible compared to the 9900.  Anybody used the Motorola Defy Pro?

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #213 of 904
Quote:
I like the idea of the Galaxy Nexus, simply because it's going to get all the latest software updates right away.  And no carrier/OEM bloatware.  

What about keyboard models?  I played around with a Droid 4, and the keyboard was pretty terrible compared to the 9900.  Anybody used the Motorola Defy Pro?

All keyboard models suck. Simply put. The Droid 4 is the best of them by far. I got the D3 as a replacement for my DX before I convinced Verizon to let me have an early upgrade and I hated it!

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #214 of 904
I just got a Kyocera Hyrdo with Andriod ICS, so yay for me. The only issue I have with it is I might need a DAC so I can use DI Andriod App with my headphones and it not sound  like complete junk! Or I could get a semi decent pair of Over Ear head phones... *sigh* more money in the end!

Still the Kyocera Hyrdo is water PROOF it's sealed nice and tight, so that's nice! Seeing as I work in a kitchen >.> 

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #215 of 904
I'm on an LG Optimus Elite (Virgin Mobile) for a few months now and really thinking of switching because they haven't made an extended battery for it yet.  I really hate charging my phone everyday or having it run out of battery at night when I'm out.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #216 of 904
Quote:
I'm on an LG Optimus Elite (Virgin Mobile) for a few months now and really thinking of switching because they haven't made an extended battery for it yet.  I really hate charging my phone everyday or having it run out of battery at night when I'm out.

I think you run into that with alot of phones... also do not OVER charge your phone, leave it on the charger longer that it needs that [as im sure u know] kills the battery! 

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #217 of 904
I'm rocking this:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (I don't know if it works with DACs or not)
Rom: CyanogenMod10 Nightlies
Radio: UCLF6
Kernal: Stock CyanogenMod (need to change)
Case: None :frowning2:
Music Player: PowerAmp (until i find a guide to make Neutron sound good)

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #218 of 904
Quote:
Wow you guys seem like MAD andriod Pros

Well I need an Andriod Phone [finally I'm getting a cell phone] And I'd like some help doing reaserach!

My budget is $100 I need an unlocked phone and ALL I need it to do is Browse Internet and run Digitally Imported App [so music]

Now I'm not 100% concerned with Music Quality... as I have portable set ups for that... but it needs to be able to play said music without any hard ware hang up or lagg

Here's what I've found so far... 

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini pro $120

LG Optimus GT540 Review $130

I'm open for anything cheaper that will WORK, I live in the US and I'm planning to use a service Called Straight Talk [I'm open to better [and I mean cheaper unlimited data]] services to! 

I would have insistent on waiting and saving more money to buy the Nexus 4 though it seems you've already brought a different phone which I just read from the previous posts xD..(apologies for the late recommendation)

Quote:
I've been on a BlackBerry forever (first one was a 6750, and been using them ever since.  Now I'm using a 9900).  But.. I'd like to try out Android. I messed around with my Dad's Galaxy Tab 10.1 with ICS for a week, and I really liked it.  I'd like to try out a phone.

I'm due for a subsidized hardware upgrade in February 2014, and I plan on getting a BB10 device at that time, but I thought I really should check out the competition.  So I am thinking that in the meantime I'd sell my Bold 9900 (I have a few accessories as well: leather pocket, spare battery, external battery charger, two docks) and buy an Android device (that I could buy directly with the dollars gained from selling my 9900).

Is the Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus the best Android devices of similar vintage to my 9900, that I could conceivably sell my 9900 for, or trade for?  Any other recommendations?  I'm fully okay with rooting a device and installing a non standard ROM.  I can't stand Touchwiz and Sense (that much I know from very brief forays with friends' 1X and GS3), so I'm hoping to use CM or similar, or vanilla JB.

Thanks!

As my post respond is late as ever(sorry for that), if you've yet you get an Android handset I can highly recommend getting a Nexus 4 which is being released on Nov 13th which you buy off contract as the phone's the best bet for the money and the hardware.
More info can be found here http://www.google.com/nexus/4/

Jesus, I should being on Head-fi more xD..

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #219 of 904
Wow, how on earth did this thread pass me by until now!

I might be the biggest Android fan in this place!

At the moment enjoying a Note 2, but soon getting a Huawei Ascend D1 Quad XL to try and also the Nexus 4. So far this year I have had: GNex, Note, One X, S3, Note 2, Transformer Prime, Galaxy Tab 7.7, Archos G9 turbo, Huawei MediaPad, Nexus 7. I write stuff about Android at AndroidNZ.net and produce YouTube videos about them on my channel AndroidNZ.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #220 of 904
Wow, how on earth did this thread pass me by until now!

I might be the biggest Android fan in this place!

At the moment enjoying a Note 2, but soon getting a Huawei Ascend D1 Quad XL to try and also the Nexus 4. So far this year I have had: GNex, Note, One X, S3, Note 2, Transformer Prime, Galaxy Tab 7.7, Archos G9 turbo, Huawei MediaPad, Nexus 7. I write stuff about Android at AndroidNZ.net and produce YouTube videos about them on my channel AndroidNZ.

Awesome! Welcome aboard!
To be honest though, the nexus 4 doesn't look all that good to me. Not only does it not have a microsd card slot, there's also no removable battery or 4G LTE like my Gnex.
Since the Gnex will undoubtedly get 4.2 I think I'll be sticking with it until google announces another nexus phone...

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #221 of 904
Awesome! Welcome aboard!
To be honest though, the nexus 4 doesn't look all that good to me. Not only does it not have a microsd card slot, there's also no removable battery or 4G LTE like my Gnex.
Since the Gnex will undoubtedly get 4.2 I think I'll be sticking with it until google announces another nexus phone...

I'm in the exact same spot. Gnex will have 4.2 probably before the Nexus 4 comes out even. Not sure when the official source will go up but AOKP said they will be merging 4.2 with their Milestone 1 and it should only take a couple hours to straighten it out once 4.2 leaks somewhere. I would have been more tempted by the Nexus 4 and it's hardware if JB wasn't already so smooth and silky.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #222 of 904
Just picked me up a Galaxy Tab 2 (7" wifi), subscribed. Incredible bargain at $200 IMO.

I will be syncing iTunes ALAC files with WinAmp for Mac Sync Beta. At least that's the plan.

Exiting the iOS Universe completely...

I still use non-iOS iPods, but ditching iPhone/iPad. I actually prefer my old Nokia Music Phone.
:cool:

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #223 of 904
Finally! An android thread.

Rooted my S3 with Jelly Bean (Open Kang ROM) yesterday.

Really enjoying it thus far. Google has done a really good job this time in terms of UI. The animations are silky smooth, response is blazing fast.

I'm finally glad to remove the c*ap Samung put on it.

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #224 of 904
Finally! An android thread.

I just found it as well, but it is a year old!

I'm very impressed with the battery life of the Galaxy Tab 2. The first thing I did was stream an entire NBA game on it, and it barely dented the battery icon. On the downside, the battery is non-removable.

The main reasons I selected it was expandable memory, and the ability to run Firefox with ICS. Somehow it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside using an open-source OS with a not-for-profit browser.

There's higher-rez screens out there but this one is still really nice looking!

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #225 of 904
Quote:
I just found it as well, but it is a year old!
I'm very impressed with the battery life of the Galaxy Tab 2. The first thing I did was stream an entire NBA game on it, and it barely dented the battery icon. On the downside, the battery is non-removable.
The main reasons I selected it was expandable memory, and the ability to run Firefox with ICS. Somehow it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside using an open-source OS with a not-for-profit browser.
There's higher-rez screens out there but this one is still really nice looking!

What about Firefox mobile do you prefer over say, Dolphin HD and/or Chrome?

I have Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin HD, Opera and stock browsers installed and use all of them for a bit when they get updates, but Chrome is now my "go to." 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back