Android-fi!
Aug 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #181 of 904
Actually, the fact that the Q series has better bass really makes me want to get them instead of the Ks, but I'm more of an Akiyama Mio fan than a Quincy Jones one :wink:

Props to you if you get the reference to K-On :))

Nexus... Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus? Speaking of, I used to think of getting a GN instead of an SIII, mostly because I'm not that into TouchWiz. The fact that the SIII has way better specs is somewhat irrelevant, since even my old i9000 is powerful enough for most my needs. Though now I'm leaning towards the SIII because I found out that it's using a Wolfson DAC XD

Awesome! So, how'd the chat go?

Yes, I see what you did there :)
I have the Gnex, but I'd recommend anyone to stay clear of it, especially now that the vzw s3 has an unlockable bootloader with cm10 nighties.
The hardware is crap. The casing, the camera, the display, all suck to be honest.
I'd recommend the s3, load jelly bean, then use it as a music transport to a good powered dac.
And the chat was highly irrelevant. He can't really talk all that much about what anyone does at google anyway.
And if he did say something "classified" I wouldn't want him getting in trouble so I'm not going to say all that much. Basically all he talked about though was college, what to do and what not to do since I'll be heading into college in about a year for some sort of computer related degree...

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #182 of 904
Quote:
Akiyama Mio?
Who's that?
rolleyes.gif

I take it that you're just messing around with me. At least, that's the vibe I get from the eye roll :))

Then again, is the difference in bass really all that huge? I mean, based on reviews I've read (never managed to audition the K701s personally), the bass is actually pretty detailed with good extension; the only real issue with them is that they lack in bass impact. I'm not quite a basshead, but I enjoy a bit of kick when listening to rock and the like.

So, how much will I suffer for following my fanboydom? XD

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #183 of 904
I take it that you're just messing around with me. At least, that's the vibe I get from the eye roll :))

Then again, is the difference in bass really all that huge? I mean, based on reviews I've read (never managed to audition the K701s personally), the bass is actually pretty detailed with good extension; the only real issue with them is that they lack in bass impact. I'm not quite a basshead, but I enjoy a bit of kick when listening to rock and the like.

So, how much will I suffer for following my fanboydom? XD

Look at my avatar and signature if you want to confirm your suspicions about the eye roll. :wink:

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #184 of 904
Quote:
Yes, I see what you did there
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the Gnex, but I'd recommend anyone to stay clear of it, especially now that the vzw s3 has an unlockable bootloader with cm10 nighties.
The hardware is crap. The casing, the camera, the display, all suck to be honest.
I'd recommend the s3, load jelly bean, then use it as a music transport to a good powered dac.
And the chat was highly irrelevant. He can't really talk all that much about what anyone does at google anyway.
And if he did say something "classified" I wouldn't want him getting in trouble so I'm not going to say all that much. Basically all he talked about though was college, what to do and what not to do since I'll be heading into college in about a year for some sort of computer related degree...

Haha, nice to know I'm not the only otaku on this forum :p

Fair enough. The price difference is pretty huge here in the Philippines though, and my i9000 is still running pretty smoothly. Also, I'm gonna have to shell out quite a bit of cash later on (that's taking into account audio-related expenses by the way 
wink.gif
), so I may skip on the SIII. If the SIV, and there's bound to be one, has a Wolfson DAC as well, then I'm gonna go for it. If not, then I may as well go for the SIII.

Speaking of audio quality, does the WM1811 in the SIII beat the WM8994 in the i9000? I doubt that portable audio could get much better than a Voodoo-modded Galaxy S (unless you count the Burr-Brown in the HM-801 as portable audio, which it is 
biggrin.gif
). 

Sounds pretty normal, actually. Though the fact that you got life advice from a guy working at Google is pretty awesome XD

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #186 of 904
Quote:
Drop by the anime thread if you want.
There are lots more of our species there.

"Species", huh? Nice analogy :p
Anyway, I'm actually a bit surprised that I've missed that thread in the months (I think it's been over a year) I've been on Head-Fi. Thanks for pointing that out!

By the way, no comment on the K701 v. Q701? I'm thinking that after I get a proper amp, either of them is going to be the next step in upgrading my rig.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #187 of 904
Hi guys,

sorry to break up the anime-love-fest, but I have an android question and I figured this was the place to ask it.

Can anyone share some opinions of the best Verizon Android phone in the US for sound quality? Do any of them have an analog line-out with a decent DAC that bypasses the internal amplifier? Do any of them have a digital line-out so I don't have to care about the DAC?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #188 of 904
Hi guys,

sorry to break up the anime-love-fest, but I have an android question and I figured this was the place to ask it.

Can anyone share some opinions of the best Verizon Android phone in the US for sound quality? Do any of them have an analog line-out with a decent DAC that bypasses the internal amplifier? Do any of them have a digital line-out so I don't have to care about the DAC?

Thanks in advance!

Gs3 and gnex have cm10 builds you can flash to get a digital out to a dac, other than that I believe Samsung usually puts pretty good dacs in their phones, but I know of no androids with a line out or internal amp bypass...

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #190 of 904
I thought any Android phone with ICS had USB host option for external DAC use.. Ever since I got my Lumia 900, I've just stopped paying attention. :rolleyes:

Nope, google started That in jelly bean.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #193 of 904
Um, I think I was asking a person about what phone they had (they only mentioned having a Nexus). Either way, I'm going for an SIII myself, once I get enough money :p

I would never get a non-Nexus phone. I hate waiting months before getting Android updates.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #194 of 904
Quote:
I would never get a non-Nexus phone. I hate waiting months before getting Android updates.

I can somewhat relate, but I'm a bit of a spec freak myself; hard as it is for me to admit, the TI-OMAP in the Galaxy Nexus is leagues behind the Exynos chipset in the SIII. The larger screen, improved camera, and better screen are all pretty nice bonuses as well. 

Honestly though, Both the Nexus One and the Galaxy Nexus were excellent phones at the time of their release. The Nexus S is so far the only pure Google phone that I didn't much care for. I guess it's because while the N1 and the GN had decent, if not better, specifications than their contemporaries, the Nexus S was nothing more than a non-TouchWized Galaxy S. No offense intended to any Nexus S owners, of course.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #195 of 904
Quote:

Do you have the nexus?
Have you noticed the horrible housing that is the same cheap plastic crap as my mom's $20 flip phone?
Have you noticed the horrible camera?
Have you noticed the horrible display? The pentile display with the checkerboarding drives me nuts
Also, probably not a problem for you in AU, but LTE murders battery life as well...
I think if you buy a popular phone with an unlockable bootloader and CM10 support you won't have any need to update :)
IMHO Samsung took advantage of the nexus name and delivered a crappy, overpriced phone. But I still kind of prefer it to my old Moto Droid X...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back